PDA

View Full Version : F2P Range Training Guide – Levels 1-70+

N!ck
28-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Couldn't post it in the tutorials section so i'll post it here and it can be moved if needed.

RuneScape name: Nickw130

This is my first RuneScape guide. I’ve decided to make this guide because I’ve recently been training my range and had trouble finding a decent F2P guide. I’ll say what equipment to wear and which arrows I recommend using. Obviously if you use better arrows then the training will be better but it will cost more. If you decide to become a member then there will be better locations to train at as a member, so use a different guide :P.

Before starting I recommend you aquire the following things from the Grand Exchange or somewhere else and bank them until they are needed:

Shortbow
Oak Shortbow
Willow Shortbow
Maple Shortbow
500-800 iron arrows
2000-10000 steel arrows (or better) – amount depending on the level you intend to train to
Leather Cowl
Leather Vambraces
Hard leather body
Studded body
Studded chaps
Leather Chaps
Coif
Full Green D’Hide Set (Dragon Slayer Quest needed to wear the body)
Amulet of Power
Amounts of food depending on your defence level
A cape
Bronze Key (maybe)
Fancy or Fighting Boots (from Stronghold of Security)

The best shortbow that can be wielded should be done so at all times. The Amulet of Power, boots and cape should be worn at all times. Equipment worn will give the best given range bonus at that time, but may not be suitable for defence when the user has a low defence level, so the equipment worn should be modified as the user sees fit, since you may want to wear a Rune Med Helm. My guide assumes you pick up the arrows after the monster has died. The screenshots are just to show the area, and not the equipment to wear/use.

Levels 1-20

Location: Cows - South-west of the Crafting guild (south-west of Falador)
Equipment: Shortbow, Oak Shortbow, Iron Arrows, Amulet of Power, Cape, Boots, Cowl, Vambraces, Hard Body, Chaps

http://uploadpicz.com/Nick/7WRBX9V.png

You should use your wielded bow in accurate fire mode until you reach level 10 when it should be changed to rapid fire. You should range the cows here using iron arrows until you reach ranged level 20, swapping your Shortbow for an Oak Shortbow once you can wield it. You shouldn’t need any food here unless you have a very low defence level.

Levels 21-30

Location: Monks – Monastery, west of Edgeville, north-east of the Dwarven Mines, east of Black Knight’s Fortress
Equipment: Willow Shortbow, Minimum of Iron arrows (Steel would better), Amulet of Power, Cape, Boots, Coif, Studded Body, Studded Chaps, Vambraces

http://uploadpicz.com/Nick/AV2S76P.png

You should range these in rapid fire using the Willow Shortbow and a minimum metal of iron for the arrows. Stay here until ranged level 30. No food will be needed sine the Monks can heal you.

Levels 31-40

Equipment: Maple Shortbow, Steel Arrows, Amulet of Power, Cape, Boots, Coif, Studded Body, Studded Chaps, Vambraces

http://uploadpicz.com/Nick/SBTG4Y3.png

If you feel these are too strong for you then continue with monks for a bit longer. Otherwise you should range these with rapid fire using the Maple Shortbow and a minimum metal of steel for the arrows. You can range the odd skeleton over the wilderness ditch and jump over for your arrows and range the guards from the other side. Stay here until ranged level 40. Food will be needed since it is not always possible to range every monster from over the wilderness ditch.

Another good location for these levels is the skeletons across the river in Varrock Sewers on the Zombies across the river nearby, but I did not use this place as you cannot pick up your arrows (use iron arrows if you decide to train here).

http://uploadpicz.com/Nick/MKP7W6Y.png

Levels 41-50

Location: Hill Giants – Accessed via a building (Bronze Key required through this entrance) south-west of the Grand Exchange entrance, north-east of the bridge to Barbarian Village or through Edgeville (no key needed)
Equipment: Maple Shortbow, Steel Arrows or better, Coif, Full Green D’Hide, Amulet of Power, Cape, Boots

http://uploadpicz.com/Nick/YEUQA38.png

You should range these with rapid fire using the Maple Shortbow and a minimum metal of steel for the arrows. Since you are ranging you should be able to hit the giants before most of the people using melee. Since prayer is difficult to train as F2P I tend to bury the big bones that they drop – every little helps. Stay here until ranged level 50 unless you enjoy killing these or need the bones then stay here longer. Food will be needed.

Another location for these levels is the lower levelled Flesh Crawlers in the Security Stronghold, but I did not use these as they have a low HP, so more clicking, and I got bored of them.

Levels 51-60

Location: White Knights – White Knight’s Castle in the south area of Falador
Equipment: Maple Shortbow, Steel Arrows or better, Coif, Full Green D’Hide, Amulet of Power, Cape, Boots

http://uploadpicz.com/Nick/L5V6PW5.png

A good spot for ranging these is on the 1st floor (2nd floor for those in the US) on the southern side (see screenshot). There are two white knights that spawn here. You should be able to range them through the fences most of the time. You should range these with rapid fire using the Maple Shortbow and a minimum metal of steel for the arrows. Stay here until ranged level 60. Food will be needed.

Levels 61-70

Location: Moss Giants – Right at the very end of Varrock Sewers
Equipment: Maple Shortbow, The best arrows you can afford to train with (minimum of steel), Coif, Full Green D’Hide, Amulet of Power, Cape, Boots, Bronze Key (if accessed near Varrock)

http://uploadpicz.com/Nick/4NTZYSU.png

This area is usually fairly crowded as it is a good training spot. Go for the busier worlds as the number of people training here in all worlds is generally similar, but the re-spawn time for the giants in busier worlds is a lot quicker ;). You should range these with rapid fire using the Maple Shortbow and a minimum metal of steel for the arrows. Stay here until ranged level 70. Food will be needed.

Level 70+

At this level you should have a good idea on where to train by now. Either stay at Moss giants or visit the Lesser Demons on Karajama or the Cockroach Soldiers in the new Safety Stronghold north of the Barbarian village for more of a challenge and better drop possibilities. Higher level arrows will help (Mith or Addy).

In summary:
1-20 - Cows
21-30 - Monks
31-40 - Guards
41-50 - Hill Giants
51-60 - White Knights
61-70 - Moss Giants
70+ - Moss Giants, Lesser Demons or Cockroach Soldiers.

Moved by BobX (forum Moderator):- Thanks for the Guide ;)

Arch
30-03-2008, 06:07 AM
nice although for some reason seems kinda familiar.

+rep anyways

N!ck
30-03-2008, 11:19 AM
nice although for some reason seems kinda familiar.

+rep anyways

Meh, maybe because i pieced together ideas from other guides i put my own ideas in aswell.

tyo22
30-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Very nice :)

Oleh
30-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Hey roughly how many arrows would i need to get from 31 to 70? because i am looking to purchase the gear and arrows and dont really have too much cash (240k) and dont wana waste it

N!ck
30-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Hmm, probably 5-6k steel arrows if you're picking them up.

Ashley 12344
31-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I power ranged Bronze/Iron most of the way to 70. Doesn't cost too much, easily do-able with 240k I believe.

Oleh
31-03-2008, 02:26 PM
ok :P - now i wish i hadnt have sold my green dhide i have blue but non member :(

Arch
31-03-2008, 10:35 PM
my friend told me he did 1 - 70 with like 30k bronze arrows i dunno if he was lying tho.

Cgnj48
16-05-2008, 05:08 PM
wow ty i will try it im alredi on 46 atm.

Youthz
16-05-2008, 05:08 PM
nice guide thee

Ugawa
15-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Nice guide

XX

Hated
13-08-2008, 02:31 AM
nice guide

Axel
17-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Nice guide.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!