PDA

View Full Version : What to say?

Jordy
08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm not often a person to be 'Speechless' but there is one occasion which I still haven't conquered. Funerals...

I'm also not hear for a sob story so I'll make it brief, a fortnight ago it was my cousin's funeral and after the church service you naturally have to go round, see how the parents (uncle & auntie), wife and their siblings are. I really struggled what to say to them after the service and I didn't accidentally want to say 'Yeah you alright?' like I often do, it's not exactly the right thing to say after losing a son/sibling/husband :S. I just didn't know what to say, I congratulated one of them who stood up and read allowed as he did it well but couldn't expand beyond that.

Sadly tomorrow I've got my other cousin's funeral and I want to be prepared this time with what to say as nothing comes naturally. Just phrases like 'Come on it'll be okay' would be really really appreciated and if anyone's got any other useful advice at a funeral that'd be great.

Jordy

MissAlice
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
It's a sad occasion, and a day for remembering someone loved. I think the kindest words that can be said, are something positive. Perhaps you have in the back of your mind a good memory. An event that brings back happy memories. It's important to remember the good times.

ie. I'm never going to forget her/his wonderful smile ??????

Niall!
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

AgnesIO
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Hmm,

You could just say:

'We will pull though this together. We will always remember his cheerfulness'

Sorry if thats crap but i never been to a fuineral (I am quite lucky!)

Teyauna.
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Neither do I. My friend lost a family member and I didn't even know what to say so I basically said aww... I'm so sorry every second. I have personally lost one person in my family from the day I was born and didn't attend their funeral cause it was in Jamaica and by the time we found out she died the funeral was already arranged and it wasn't enough time to get plane tickets.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!