PDA

View Full Version : Wii Fit

Remotive
16-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Has anyone heard of it yet? You ca jog through a park, do press-ups and many more exercises which I can't be bothered to list. :P

Anyway, I have already pre-ordered mine, comes out the 25th or 26th of April. Not completely sure which day though.

Anyone getting it? :)

The Professor
16-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Screams milk-the-gimmick-city to me. Is this their attempt to claim playing the wii is healthy? I think someone did a study and showed that playing the wii for x amount of time did pretty much nothing to aid fitness as opposed to actually doing some exercise.

Niall!
16-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Screams milk-the-gimmick-city to me. Is this their attempt to claim playing the wii is healthy? I think someone did a study and showed that playing the wii for x amount of time did pretty much nothing to aid fitness as opposed to actually doing some exercise.

Jogging and press ups sounds more like excercising than waving your arms around.

The Professor
16-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't quite understand why you need a wii to do it though...

kk.
16-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeh it looks great. Its got loads of stuff on there. The price tags put me off tbh but I may get it later this year. Alex, google wiu fit if you havnt seen it :p don't believe you havn't yet lol

Mario
16-04-2008, 03:28 PM
apparently its sold incredibly well, im not getting it personally, not my cuppa tea.

The Professor
16-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeh it looks great. Its got loads of stuff on there. The price tags put me off tbh but I may get it later this year. Alex, google wiu fit if you havnt seen it :p don't believe you havn't yet lol

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it, I gathered from the first post that you just do press ups with a wiimote in your hand :P

I seee the light now! Still wouldn't buy it, I can think of more fun things to do, but I can see why people would buy it though :P

kk.
16-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I get it, I gathered from the first post that you just do press ups with a wiimote in your hand :P

I seee the light now! Still wouldn't buy it, I can think of more fun things to do, but I can see why people would buy it though :P

lol its more for people who can't afford to go to the gym with 50 a month. It recognises if you are doing press ups wrong, calculates your BMI and whether you're gaining or losing. Looks good but as I said £69.99 is a lot lol

lew!
16-04-2008, 03:41 PM
lol its more for people who can't afford to go to the gym with 50 a month. It recognises if you are doing press ups wrong, calculates your BMI and whether you're gaining or losing. Looks good but as I said £69.99 is a lot lol

Theres scales that can calculate ur BMI..

Anyway, Anybody can stand an wobble around a bit and just lean from side to side..

cocaine
16-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Theres scales that can calculate ur BMI..

Anyway, Anybody can stand an wobble around a bit and just lean from side to side..

if thats your idea of excercise then i doubt you're fit..

the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit; "the doctor recommended regular exercise"; "he did some exercising"; "the physical exertion required by his work kept him fit"

Remotive
16-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm getting it from my parents for an early b'day present, thank god. :P

I'll tell you guys what its like and if its worth buying, hopefully it is. :)

risque
16-04-2008, 05:18 PM
It does shift weight, my mates lump of lard sister lost a stone by just using the bowling on Wii Sports. I'm gonna get it, looks wicked.

Wootzeh
16-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Might get it my mum for her birthday ;D

shizzle
16-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Soons appealing, I might buy.

Simmzay
16-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm not going to get it but I think you should actually learn what it is before purchasing it, it's a lot of money to spend.

A review:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=132546&page=1

Gameplay videos:
http://wiifolder.com/Videos_W.html

If Nintendo decides to release actual games with the mat then I might consider it. Otherwise I don't want it.

GhostFace-
16-04-2008, 10:10 PM
i saw it on youtube, looks cool.

Remotive
16-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm not going to get it but I think you should actually learn what it is before purchasing it, it's a lot of money to spend.

A review:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=132546&page=1

Gameplay videos:
http://wiifolder.com/Videos_W.html

If Nintendo decides to release actual games with the mat then I might consider it. Otherwise I don't want it.
I agree, more variety of games ect would be nice. Just not one game and dead-stop.

I think it will go far though as the Wii was quite popular for a while and this will deffinaetly get it known again for a little bit.

kk.
16-04-2008, 10:26 PM
you know what, that review was really good and has almost convinced me to buy it lol. If their were other games that would be good lol

The Professor
16-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Like I said in my first post, its extremely gimmicky, as is the wii. So anyone who bought a wii will probably like it. QED :P

Simmzay
16-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Like I said in my first post, its extremely gimmicky, as is the wii. So anyone who bought a wii will probably like it. QED :P
What is the gimmick? The gimmick is a misperception in this case. It is being perpetuated by some, but the products initial intention sways heavily from a "gimmick".

Andeeh
17-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Lol its gonna be funny for fat people.

Because Game have to tell them they cant buy the product because they are to large and could break it.

Niall!
17-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Because Game have to tell them they cant buy the product because they are to large and could break it.

lol really?

Remotive
17-04-2008, 03:09 PM

This makes me want to get in line behind a fat person when I go to get it on the 25th! XD

I would just pmsl.

The Professor
17-04-2008, 06:36 PM
What is the gimmick? The gimmick is a misperception in this case. It is being perpetuated by some, but the products initial intention sways heavily from a "gimmick".

The gimmick is the wobble-board thing, true it doesn't use the wii's motion sensing gimmick but it makes up for it with its new hyper-scales contraption :P

Simmzay
17-04-2008, 06:53 PM
The gimmick is the wobble-board thing, true it doesn't use the wii's motion sensing gimmick but it makes up for it with its new hyper-scales contraption :P
Then the problem is your perception of the definition of the word gimmick. Because it isn't one.

The Professor
17-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Well, dictionary.com says:

1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

That looks like a pretty novel device to me :)

Simmzay
17-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Key word is "novel", which it isn't. That was my point from the getgo, the perception is what builds the belief of the novelty but it's a very real application that was intended for serious use. Hence deriding all association with "novelty".

Jord
17-04-2008, 07:16 PM
How much weight does it hold?

The Professor
17-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Key word is "novel", which it isn't. That was my point from the getgo, the perception is what builds the belief of the novelty but it's a very real application that was intended for serious use. Hence deriding all association with "novelty".

Fair enough, it seems as though we shall have to agree to disagree :) Personally, I think the whole concept of the wii is novel, which is what sells it.

But as Yahtzee once said: "Critisising the wii for being gimmicky is like criticising a midget for being short"

Ekalb
18-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Nintendo stated that the point of Wii fit is not to make you shed the weight but it'll make you more aware of your fitness and knowing that will probably pursuade you to do something about it if you are unhealthy. And you might even be able to pick up a few fitness workouts from the game so it's gotta do some good.

And Alex, at least the Wii's games are breaking away from the norm of first person shooter, aliens vs pretty much invincible-balls-of-steal marines in landscapes full with, as yahtzee did say, "dogs%*t brown and gunmetal grey" and in most cases an unbearable bloom.

Simmzay
18-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Fair enough, it seems as though we shall have to agree to disagree :) Personally, I think the whole concept of the wii is novel, which is what sells it.

But as Yahtzee once said: "Critisising the wii for being gimmicky is like criticising a midget for being short"
Hopefully we're not going to lay down the law according to a satirist (oh and I still love Zero Punctuation). The Wii by definition cannot be a gimmick, but the plastic peripherals like the Wii Zapper and Wii Wheel definitely are. That's the rawest definition of what a novelty item is, and too many try to discredit the Wii with those remarks. Wii Fit is simply a tracking device intended for serious use. I don't want it, nor am I interested in it, but I cannot try and discredit it because of my indifference. The Wii is my least favourite Nintendo console yet I still can't try to discredit its success with something so vague.

Dippindonut1
23-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Can't wait to get it :)

JackBuddy
24-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I think I'll read the reviews before I buy it. Heh, it could even save me £25 a month by not needing to go to the gym!

KL!!!
24-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I think I'll read the reviews before I buy it. Heh, it could even save me £25 a month by not needing to go to the gym!
Im sure the Gym would give you better results.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!