PDA

View Full Version : Virgin destroying the internet.

Andys
16-04-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5ZR_jxdXU&eurl
http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/

"Keep Virgin from destroying the internet...

The new CEO of Virgin Media, Neil Berkett, has openly stated in an interview that they think net neutrality is “a load of ********” and claimed they're already doing deals to deliver some people’s content faster than others. They would then put websites and services that don't pay Virgin in the "slow lane", meaning those sites would load slowly and cause most users to give up using them, feeling forced to use whatever Virgin wants to push through their network.

This is not the first time an internet provider infringes upon net neutrality, but it is the first time that an ISP so brutally states that they simply plan to limit internet access to a television-like system in which the access provider completely regulates the content you have access to.

Virgin Media has over 3.5 million customers in the UK and the real danger is that when they start applying this system to their network, all major internet providers around the globe will soon follow the trend. Because this is exactly what major ISP's have been wanting to do for years.

But we can stop it.

If the masses of the internet react against this, we will set an example of what happens when one provider tries to take away our freedom. We will make it very clear that any ISP who tries to infringe upon net neutrality will see its popularity go down the drain because the users don't accept it. And we'll see to it that only the providers who care about safeguarding our internet freedom have our support.

Speak out in any way you can and spread the word."

:O Discuss?

N!ck
16-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Lol, if they try that people will leave. Hopefully the big companys like Google will realise it is wrong and not pay them causeing them to be "slow" and cause havok.

Technologic
16-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I really don't think this will happen.

Movieen
16-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Quoting South Park here!

Blame Virgin!
Blame Virgin!
They're not a real ISP anyway!

Recursion
16-04-2008, 03:43 PM
I am actualling PMSLing at this load of "********" from Virgin, they must have some pretty stupid CEOs.

The Professor
16-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Thick as I am, that went over my head a bit. So Virgin are going to make all websites affiliated with them faster somehow?

N!ck
16-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Thick as I am, that went over my head a bit. So Virgin are going to make all websites affiliated with them faster somehow?

Yes, by making websites that don't pay them slow.

Lycan
16-04-2008, 04:53 PM
This has been discussed for years as you say by other ISPs, luckily none have been brave enough yet to do it.

Sadly Virgin appear once again desperate for money... it won't last, people who require really fast net are normally downloaders and downloaders are normally thoose who own their own website...

So i'm not worried and i'm not on virgin

crans
16-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I switch from NTL to BT just few months before they switched to Virgin, still a bad service I see.

Stephen!
16-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I'm switching from VM to sky. They are now planning to extend the STM hours from 4-9pm to 10am - 9pm. When they do this, We've gone.

Jordy
16-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I personally think this is just another internet conspiracy, it's like when people thought Google is collecting DNA and building profiles on users in hope of world domination.

Very little evidence of this case, just another conspiracy theory. Virgin Media might not be perfect, but they realise the UKs ISP market is huge and they're desperate for each individual customer, they know a lot would move and thus they'd not make as much money.

This would wipe out amateur websites if it was true and it wouldn't work, btw I like Tanya <3

Who can honestly trust these Polish people who say this is the end of the internet as we know it, it's going to die LOL.

Recursion
16-04-2008, 05:58 PM
The CEO him self said. And link me to this Tanya?

I personally think this is just another internet conspiracy, it's like when people thought Google is collecting DNA and building profiles on users in hope of world domination.

Very little evidence of this case, just another conspiracy theory. Virgin Media might not be perfect, but they realise the UKs ISP market is huge and they're desperate for each individual customer, they know a lot would move and thus they'd not make as much money.

This would wipe out amateur websites if it was true and it wouldn't work, btw I like Tanya <3

Who can honestly trust these Polish people who say this is the end of the internet as we know it, it's going to die LOL.

iUnknown
16-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm switching from VM to sky. They are now planning to extend the STM hours from 4-9pm to 10am - 9pm. When they do this, We've gone.

What are the "STM" hours? And, sky is a bit of a downgrade speedwise don't you think?

Also, virgin media think they're the best at the moment because they transferred to optic fibres first.... this will soon happen to all ISPs...

Cavaz
16-04-2008, 06:09 PM
virgin is crap lol. there adverts. They claim they are the fastest internet providers, many times faster than BT. Gotta have guts to come into the ISP market and say that straight away. *****

GommeInc
16-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Virgin are a terrible company anyway. I question when Virgin Internet will disappear, like Virgin Cola or Virgin Media Stores. Seems like something they will do. They fail in one area (or in Virgin Media stores, give up to back up something that is a slight failure) so they back up another and sell off.

Agnostic Bear
16-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Jesus, even I'll change if they do that (and I'm stubborn as hell being on 20mbit).

virgin is crap lol. there adverts. They claim they are the fastest internet providers, many times faster than BT. Gotta have guts to come into the ISP market and say that straight away. *****

They are the fastest...

Judge Judy
16-04-2008, 07:40 PM

Sky is a good ISP

2MB Free if you have a Sky TV (something like that)

even thought I think im on 2MB I can go faster :S

but yeah move to sky :P

Jordy
16-04-2008, 07:44 PM
The CEO him self said. And link me to this Tanya?The girl who's presenting the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5ZR_jxdXU&eurl)

Done anyone find it odd that all the videos related to the video are sex tips? :S

:Edzy
16-04-2008, 08:53 PM
it is never going to work :)

so lets not worry

we can always switch to BT

N!ck
16-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Jesus, even I'll change if they do that (and I'm stubborn as hell being on 20mbit).

They are the fastest...

They're the fastest widespread ISP, not the absolute fas6est.

Sky is a good ISP

2MB Free if you have a Sky TV (something like that)

even thought I think im on 2MB I can go faster :S

but yeah move to sky :P

Sky suffered a lot of problems at the start, but they generally seem to be resolved now.

it is never going to work :)

so lets not worry

we can always switch to BT

BT are a very average ISP and quite expensive.

Agnostic Bear
16-04-2008, 09:49 PM
They're the fastest widespread ISP, not the absolute fas6est.

Based on the line speed you get they're the fastest residential UK ISP (I said line speed, note 20mb is fibre to within 1km, not copper ;))

N!ck
16-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Based on the line speed you get they're the fastest residential UK ISP (I said line speed, note 20mb is fibre to within 1km, not copper ;))

BeThere are a UK residential ISP and offer a service labelled as "up to 24Mbps", which can reach stream/line speeds of around 22.1Mbps. They are not quite as widespread as VM, covering something like only half of exchanges, but i think you'll find 22.1Mbps is faster than 20Mbps. Since Be* use telephoine lines there will be a higher overhead on the download speeds obtained, but it is still a higher download speed than is attainable with VM - during peak times especially. VM also aren't particulary good for upload speed, offering 768Kbps on there 20Mbps downstream package, which isn't even a tenth. I think you'll find that VM also use copper coaxial cable to bring the connection from the street to your house, which contradicts the part where you said " not copper".

Another residential ISP that's faster than VM would be ask4 who offer 25Mbps speeds, but ask4 is extremely limited availability.

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2008, 06:39 AM
BeThere are a UK residential ISP and offer a service labelled as "up to 24Mbps", which can reach stream/line speeds of around 22.1Mbps. They are not quite as widespread as VM, covering something like only half of exchanges, but i think you'll find 22.1Mbps is faster than 20Mbps. Since Be* use telephoine lines there will be a higher overhead on the download speeds obtained, but it is still a higher download speed than is attainable with VM - during peak times especially. VM also aren't particulary good for upload speed, offering 768Kbps on there 20Mbps downstream package, which isn't even a tenth. I think you'll find that VM also use copper coaxial cable to bring the connection from the street to your house, which contradicts the part where you said " not copper".

Another residential ISP that's faster than VM would be ask4 who offer 25Mbps speeds, but ask4 is extremely limited availability.

Copper cables :rolleyes: and I said fibre to 1km.

lScottl
17-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Virgin is a ******* pile of **** anyway, I know that. You know that. They know that.

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Virgin is a ******* pile of **** anyway, I know that. You know that. They know that.

No disconnects? I never have to ring customer support for problems (because there are none that I don't cause myself), I never have slow speeds from servers that can server it?

I beg to differ sir:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/Enumeric/adasd.png

The reason I'm getting over 3MB/s is because their handling of loads of simultaneous connections is crap.

N!ck
17-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Copper cables :rolleyes: and I said fibre to 1km.

I do believe a cable running from the street into your house which is made from copper is actually a copper cable :O. Also, a 1Km fiber and a 100Km fiber, if working correctly should give the same bandwidth (providing they are of the same type of course). The oly difference would be the latency on the cables - the longer having a higher latency of course but the difference would be so small it would be negligible.

No disconnects? I never have to ring customer support for problems (because there are none that I don't cause myself), I never have slow speeds from servers that can server it?

I beg to differ sir:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/Enumeric/adasd.png

The reason I'm getting over 3MB/s is because their handling of loads of simultaneous connections is crap.

Either you are lying or something is not right as there is no way a 20 Mbps connection can provide that speed as those speeds are more than 20Mbps. They are actually almost 30Mbps.

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I do believe a cable running from the street into your house which is made from copper is actually a copper cable :O. Also, a 1Km fiber and a 100Km fiber, if working correctly should give the same bandwidth (providing they are of the same type of course). The oly difference would be the latency on the cables - the longer having a higher latency of course but the difference would be so small it would be negligible.

Either you are lying or something is not right as there is no way a 20 Mbps connection can provide that speed as those speeds are more than 20Mbps. They are actually almost 30Mbps.

When you're on Virgin Media using 10 simultaneous connections, you can ;)

N!ck
17-04-2008, 05:24 PM
When you're on Virgin Media using 10 simultaneous connections, you can ;)

Lol you do come out with some ****.

Agnostic Bear
17-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Lol you do come out with some ****.

Using many simultaneous connections can allow you to get greater speed than your ISP usually allows. How do you think "Download Accelerators" work?

Technologic
17-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Not for me. We had a nynex box on our house with a optical fibre cable connection and virgin hooked the modem up to that...

Jakish
17-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Using many simultaneous connections can allow you to get greater speed than your ISP usually allows. How do you think "Download Accelerators" work?

I doubt it.

Rofl.

blanky12!
17-04-2008, 06:04 PM
I doubt it.

Rofl.
You doubt it? This is what the dc's use (I think)

Carello
17-04-2008, 06:18 PM
err judging by their other videos / blogs, this is a pile of bull

N!ck
17-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Using more simultaneous connections forces a greater total share of the available bandwidth at VM's end to come in your direction. They'll still cap the total amount of them all at 20Mbps.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!