PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

Cixso
17-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Okay, I have medieval total war 2 (not pirated, orginal CD with product key), I enter all of that and it all works fine.

It gets to 80% then it toally crashes, it was stuck on the file Voice1.dat

Then, I tried to install War on Terror, I got to around 70% and crashed on graphics.dat

Then I try other low spec games such as theme hospital and once again it get stuck on a .dat file.

I don't know what's up?

It's a brand new computer, XP and my system does meet the requirement. I have nvidea8 too.

Any ideas?

Fishermaaan
17-04-2008, 04:32 PM
return the game duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cixso
17-04-2008, 04:34 PM
return the game duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Did you read a damn thing I said?

I had the games working on another computer anyways. But that computer no longer "exsists".

Cixso
17-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Ok, now no games install what so ever.

I got the PC 3 weeks ago, built my self and it would only play certain games, the rest would crash.

The computer it self would crash now and again also.

In the end is said there was a corruption in the system file or something, so I purchased a new CD rom, and got the windows formatted and re installed.

Now it's doing the same thing.

I have a 150gb hdd, intel dual core 1.6 ghz
1gb ram with nvidea8 and a brand new P5K motherboard.

Jakish
17-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Is a OS a legal one?

iFuseDan
17-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Your CD/DVD Drive sounds faulty. The drives are designed to over-read if they find scratches (so it works slower, but can still get data), however - if your drive has the lenses etc not calibrated faulty its like reading something thats slightly blury, so has to do this. At some points the drives will simply internally turn off or broadcast "unusual" feedback to the drivers when their buffer has been "over-filled" (depending on drive it'll dump buffer into machine pool when it reads x) or if the drive is over-heating / over-spinning. Windows will tolerate driver reported errors upto a point, and then at such a point decide to internally disable the device, which is when you get the device no longer existing. As said its usually a sign of a faulty dvd/cd drive or bad disks, or can be in strange occurances bad firmware. Your best off either getting it looked at under warranty or getting an RMA for your dvd drive.

Cixso
17-04-2008, 06:36 PM
The OS is legal.

It can't be the cd rom, it's new. It is doing the EXACT same thing as the old CD rom.

I disconnected the cd rom, yet my pc (mainly firefox and IE) crash, and when they crash my PC freezes.

blanky12!
17-04-2008, 06:39 PM
The OS is legal.

It can't be the cd rom, it's new. It is doing the EXACT same thing as the old CD rom.

I disconnected the cd rom, yet my pc (mainly firefox and IE) crash, and when they crash my PC freezes.
You sure you built it right?

That shouldn't happen, I built this computer and I never got that problem?

Check to see if you built it right

http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=19603

Look there.

Cixso
17-04-2008, 06:42 PM
You sure you built it right?

That shouldn't happen, I built this computer and I never got that problem?

Check to see if you built it right

http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?t=19603

Look there.

It's 100% built correctly, I even took it to the shop to get it checked.

Stephen!
17-04-2008, 06:56 PM
If you didn't build it right, it wouldn't work at all lol

Cixso
17-04-2008, 06:57 PM
It's starting to piss me off.

Not 1 game will install. Harderly any programmes install. AVG won't install.

I'm starting to think it might be my hard drive?

I'll throw this in the streets in a second and buy a SATA one and put Vista on it.

Stephen!
17-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Wait, you have an IDE hard drive?

Cixso
17-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Wait, you have an IDE hard drive?

Yes I do.

blanky12!
17-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Yes I do.
I think the IDE drive is the problem

Cixso
17-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I think the IDE drive is the problem

How so?

iFuseDan
17-04-2008, 08:17 PM
It is very rarely the HDD that is at fault when you get your CD/DVD appear to dissapear midst long operations, the usual points of failure are drive, lead, mobo. Just because equipment is new doesnt mean it works, another thought though, does your HDD and DVD Drive share the same IDE loop?

Cixso
17-04-2008, 08:44 PM
It is very rarely the HDD that is at fault when you get your CD/DVD appear to dissapear midst long operations, the usual points of failure are drive, lead, mobo. Just because equipment is new doesnt mean it works, another thought though, does your HDD and DVD Drive share the same IDE loop?

Yes they do.

I only have one IDE slot on my motherboard, I have 8 SATA slots though.

Cixso
18-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Turns out of my RAM was too powerful for my MB. 800mhz

Had to downgrade to 600.

Works now. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!