PDA

View Full Version : Game Development

HabTown
19-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Dear Readers,

The idea has arisen, that me, and luke, are willing to make a Shockwave Game. You may already be bored of reading this, but if you turn away now, well I don't care really.

How would you like to be, 0rca on Habbo Hotel, or any other staff member on any other game, like CokeMusic, and things? Yeh, I know you'd love it really, the fact is, it doesn't come cheap now'a'days.

So, you really want to help, make a new game, like Habbo, or anything else along those lines? Well sorry, we don't really take in people with no knowledge. You need to be somewhat experienced in Lingo, and Director MX 2004 (Preferably), ( Pixel Art is always a bonus, but we can sort you up on that ;P ).

Well, we're hoping to expand this idea, get a name, idea, and other things.
The audience we aim to reach, would be teenagers, 13-19, or even above.

This game will not include unacceptable materials, or be of any childish things. It is purely a chat room, which you can interact in.

If you are intrested, add [email protected] ([email protected]) , or [email protected] ([email protected]). We look forward to welcoming you aboard the team.

Regards
- James & Luke

Closed by Hitman (Forum Moderator): Thread has gone offtopic.

Protege
19-04-2008, 12:30 PM
You got to make a "secondlife" version of Habbo. Yay 4 sex.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Or then perhaps, I don't.

I'll just ignore that last bit...

Klydo
19-04-2008, 12:32 PM
The idea has arisen, that me, and luke, are willing to make a Shockwave Game. You may already be bored of reading this, but if you turn away now, well I don't care really.
What professionalism you have...

You won't get far as you don't seem to have a clue what you're doing. Post on www.mmoccforum.com or something like that where this kind of thing can be more widely discussed.

L?KE
19-04-2008, 12:34 PM
First of all that was the most annoyed thread I've ever read.

Don't use multicolours, it highlights your childishness.

And not to be rude but your rep power is zero and you have 12 posts, I hardly think people will put in time and effort and possibly money unless you prove yourself as a trustworthy person.

And from what I can gather you're not doing any coding/design?

Protege
19-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I was going to say that when I saw he needed all the coding languages of Habbo loool
"So, you really want to help, make a new game, like Habbo, or anything else along those lines? Well sorry, we don't really take in people with no knowledge. You need to be somewhat experienced in Lingo, and Director MX 2004 (Preferably), ( Pixel Art is always a bonus, but we can sort you up on that ;P )."

Why not code it in Java? Sexier language than lingo

Excellent
Here:

set yourGame to #fail
put fail
-- #this
put string (youfail)
-- "failyoufail"

Sorry my lingo skills are rubbish.

Edited by Kaotix12 (Forum Moderator): Please do not be rude.

HabTown
First of all that was the most annoyed thread I've ever read.

Don't use multicolours, it highlights your childishness.

And not to be rude but your rep power is zero and you have 12 posts, I hardly think people will put in time and effort and possibly money unless you prove yourself as a trustworthy person.

And from what I can gather you're not doing any coding/design?

Sorry, I'm not exactly a Habbox fan, if you hate me for that go ahead.

And yes, I will be doing coding and design, which I've already started.

L?KE
19-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Yes but as I said you're not known enough to be recruiting on this forum.

And an example of your 'skills' would probably pull more people.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 12:40 PM
What professionalism you have...

You won't get far as you don't seem to have a clue what you're doing. Post on www.mmoccforum.com (http://www.mmoccforum.com) or something like that where this kind of thing can be more widely discussed.

Will do, later.

Oh, and I do have a clue what I'm doing, you just wouldn't know, as you don't know me.

I was going to say that when I saw he needed all the coding languages of Habbo loool
"So, you really want to help, make a new game, like Habbo, or anything else along those lines? Well sorry, we don't really take in people with no knowledge. You need to be somewhat experienced in Lingo, and Director MX 2004 (Preferably), ( Pixel Art is always a bonus, but we can sort you up on that ;P )."

Because I'm using director, and director uses lingo, which is much easier than Java?

Here:

set yourGame to #fail
put fail
-- #this
put string (youfail)
-- "failyoufail"

Sorry my lingo skills are rubbish.

Well your skills are starting to improve, aren't they.

Luke
19-04-2008, 12:42 PM
OkOkOk.

I'm Luke as mentioned in the first post.

James here as you can see, has been a member of Habbox since February 2007, a lot longer than some people here, just because he hasn't posted alot, doesn't mean he's a noob.

Anyway, I'm going to be more on the director/pixel art side of the project. And to be honest, i think james will be to.
He is slowly learning Lingo atm so give him a break please.

Anyway, what we're looking for is experienced people who could help us.

At the moment there arn't any plans (name, money, aim ETC) as we will also need help with this.

-Luke

Agnostic Bear
19-04-2008, 12:45 PM

You have no idea what habbo is coded in do you? Java is the server, not the client.

L?KE
19-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I didn't say he was a noob.

I said he isn't well known, so less likely to be trusted.

idiot.

Edited by Kaotix12 (Forum Moderator): Please do not insult others.

Luke
19-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I didn't say he was a noob.

I said he isn't well known, so less likely to be trusted.

idiot.

if you're talking to me, then please don't call me an idiot when i've got more posts than you.

And do we judge people now?

HxF used to be a friendly place where it welcomed new projects.

Tbh, over the past months, i've seen ALOT of new faces in the development, as i remember one time, when it used to be all Silver and Gold Star holders, now i see ALOT of bronze.

Excellent
19-04-2008, 12:49 PM
sTest = EncryptString ( "My skills never ceise to amaze me.", "TESTKEY" )
put sTest
-- " ?8$e-< !1j"

sTest = EncodeString ( sTest )
put sTest
-- "My skills never ceise to amaze me."

Indeed, habbo is coded in lingo and director, not java.

L?KE
19-04-2008, 12:49 PM
POST COUNT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING AN IDIOT.

*REMOVED*

Edited by Hitman (Forum Moderator): Please don't insult other forum members, thanks.

Luke
19-04-2008, 12:54 PM
sTest = EncryptString ( "My skills never ceise to amaze me.", "TESTKEY" )
put sTest
-- " ?8$e-< !1j"

sTest = EncodeString ( sTest )
put sTest
-- "My skills never ceise to amaze me."

Indeed, habbo is coded in lingo and director, not java.

hehe, nice coding there, although i don't understand it, cause i don't know a thing a out Lingo, i'm better with director lol.

POST COUNT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING AN IDIOT.

*REMOVED*

Please just leave.

L?KE
19-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Leave?

Why cause I'm right?

Just because I have a low post count does not make me an idiot.

That is based on level of intelligence.

Protege
19-04-2008, 12:56 PM
The clients coded in Lingo but a client could be coded in; Java/C++/C#/Vb any language you really want but it will run slower/faster depending on what language, same with servers. You quoted what I said so you must of read that I never said what language habbo client/server was coded in?

You have no idea what habbo is coded in do you? Java is the server, not the client.

Luke
19-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Leave?

Why cause I'm right?

I never called you an idiot...
And you're right about what?

The clients coded in Lingo but a client could be coded in; Java/C++/C#/Vb any language you really want but it will run slower/faster depending on what language, same with servers. You quoted what I said so you must of read that I never said what language habbo client/server was coded in?

I suppose so, but we've chosen Lingo to code in, as it's pretty easy to learn, aparently lol.

Excellent
19-04-2008, 01:01 PM
hehe, nice coding there, although i don't understand it, cause i don't know a thing a out Lingo, i'm better with director lol.

Please just leave.
Why thankyou humble friend.

The clients coded in Lingo but a client could be coded in; Java/C++/C#/Vb any language you really want but it will run slower/faster depending on what language, same with servers. You quoted what I said so you must of read that I never said what language habbo client/server was coded in?The client is coded in lingo for one reason, I'm pretty sure lingo is much easier to use and it's faster (on server time).

L?KE
19-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm right in that being an idiot isn't based on post count.

And you're right you didn't call me an idiot my mistake.

But the way you said it made it look like I was the idiot for having the lesser post count.

Luke
19-04-2008, 01:05 PM
i'm just saying.

You called james untrusted or w/e because he had a lower post count, so i can do the same to you xD

Anyway, lets forget about it..

Anyone wanna help?

RedCrisps
19-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Isn't VB used to make the server?

Sorry if i'm wrong. Just wondering :]

Protege
19-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Why thankyou humble friend.

The client is coded in lingo for one reason, I'm pretty sure lingo is much easier to use and it's faster (on server time).

Thats your opinion I think using two exactly the same languages to communicate between client and server would be easily preferred by myself any day.

Sorry if i'm wrong. Just wondering :]

I think version 1 of habbo was, but VB is VERRY slow compared to languages such as C++

Luke
19-04-2008, 01:07 PM
It is in Retro servers, but it's very slow (i know *cough* :P) so they use Lingo for the proper hotel i think.

I THINK

HabTown
19-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry to interupt, but is anyone actually intrested in helping?

It'd actually be a good start, and sorry for the multi-colours, it just looked so plain.

Oh yes, and Luke, a friend did tell me it was coded in Lingo, through Director, but y'never know who to believe these days.

L?KE
i'm just saying.

You called james untrusted or w/e because he had a lower post count, so i can do the same to you xD

Anyway, lets forget about it..

Anyone wanna help?

Yeah ok.

And when I said it I didn't mean to offend I was just pointing out :P:eusa_whis

If your happy to forget it then I will.

Excellent

Sorry if i'm wrong. Just wondering :]Javascript.

Protege
19-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Depending who retro your talking about but there is one whos moved into C# I think lolcopters has done some work for him too. (JASE)

@Gork = Javascript is a client side based language. Its coded in JAVA.

Edited by --ss-- (Forum Super Moderator): Accidental double post merged :).

Luke
19-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah ok.

And when I said it I didn't mean to offend I was just pointing out :P:eusa_whis

If your happy to forget it then I will.

I fogot very easily xD

Javascript.

And we're on about the client i think, i can see what you mean tho, habbo use alot of Javascript in their homepage and login ETC

Excellent
19-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Pretty sure habbo is: Javascript, director, lingo.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 01:14 PM

I thought the same as you.

- - - -

I'll be able to do some things in Director and quite a bit of pixel art, but I'll manage more on the Development/Web side.

Luke
19-04-2008, 01:14 PM
not fogeting php and html...

Protege
19-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I fogot very easily xD

And we're on about the client i think, i can see what you mean tho, habbo use alot of Javascript in their homepage and login ETC

Javascript is used to compliment a website not to build a whole website out of. However use Javascript everywhere and someone comes along with javascript disabled (Like when I'm on windows server JS is disabled) they are screwed. Habbo uses it to compliment there website; checks if the user name is available when registering for example.

Go look at one of my sites I over used Javascript for a little play around. Disable javascript on your browser and view it - It doesn't load nothing.
http://members.driftpanzy.co.uk

not fogeting php and html...

Show me a PHP page please.

Director isn't a language its a IDE

RedCrisps
19-04-2008, 01:15 PM

It's Java not Javascript.

Luke
19-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Javascript is used to compliment a website not to build a whole website out of. However use Javascript everywhere and someone comes along with javascript disabled (Like when I'm on windows server JS is disabled) they are screwed. Habbo uses it to compliment there website; checks if the user name is available when registering for example.

Go look at one of my sites I over used Javascript for a little play around. Disable javascript on your browser and view it - It doesn't load nothing.
http://members.driftpanzy.co.uk

Show me a PHP page please.

The login..

Protege
19-04-2008, 01:19 PM
The login..

You still haven't shown me any use of PHP - You don't need to use PHP to login to check a database - you could use javascript/cgi? What ever supported the database you where checking.

Luke
19-04-2008, 01:23 PM
You still haven't shown me any use of PHP - You don't need to use PHP to login to check a database - you could use javascript/cgi? What ever supported the database you where checking.

hmm didn't think of cgi.
DM :P

Decode
19-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I dont see how you are going to make an online game? youve just said you dont know how to code, and that there is only 2 people working on it.

Leave?

Why cause I'm right?

Well said, +rep.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I dont see how you are going to make an online game? youve just said you dont know how to code, and that there is only 2 people working on it.

Well said, +rep.

Perhaps that is why we're looking for more people? And yes, we can both code, not to a great standard - in Lingo that is.

Protege
19-04-2008, 01:34 PM
So how you going to moderate what they code?

Invent
19-04-2008, 02:02 PM
To end the discussion of what Habbo has used to create their client:

The client was developed using the PROGRAM (IDE) Macromedia/Adobe Director using the language Lingo.

The server which processes the packets sent by the client is coded in Java.

Unless you get someone who knows Java/C#/C++/etc (don't even think about VB) then you will have no working client.

Protege
19-04-2008, 02:04 PM
You could code it in VB but I wouldn't have any fast things happening e.g. "games" that need fast communication between server/client and I would put a max users of 50.

Invent
19-04-2008, 02:06 PM
You could code it in VB but I wouldn't have any fast things happening e.g. "games" that need fast communication between server/client and I would put a max users of 50.Coding the server in VB would be a bad idea if they are hoping for the MMOCC to be successfull, thus me saying "Don't even think about VB". They would need a fast, efficently coded server which I doubt a VB one really would be.

Protege
19-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah I agree with you, but to start them off and if it is "Good" they can get sponsors. (LOL@THAT)

Invent
19-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah I agree with you, but to start them off and if it is "Good" they can get sponsors. (LOL@THAT)

If they just want to get the site up quickly, then yeah VB would be an easier way to go. But porting it to say Java could be quite difficult for them if the site becomes popular.

Protege
19-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Best to do it in stages but if they want to go all the way in a C# server I really wish them good luck!

HabTown
19-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all your comments, and suggestions.

Before doing anything else, we really want to get a name sorted, so we're now taking suggestions.

We we're actually thinking along the lines of T___ Town, or at least, a town type inferace.

The T at the beginning, adds an alliteration effect, which is what we would prefer, but all names are welcome.

Protege
19-04-2008, 03:20 PM
*Removed*

Edited by Kaotix12 (Forum Moderator): Please do not avoid the swearing fitler.

L?KE
19-04-2008, 03:21 PM
TungoTown

I don't know where I got that from but I just thought of it instantly

:P

HabTown
19-04-2008, 03:21 PM
*Removed*

Great idea, I might use it... -Sarcastic?-

TungoTown

Uhm, nice, a bit, weird? Hey, do you play Tungo!?!

I was thinking Tokyo Town, but I'd probably get sued for some cultural reasons, even though Tokyo would be from the band Tokyo Rose... ;L

L?KE
19-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Never heard of tungo before.

Rofl xD

HabTown
19-04-2008, 03:26 PM
TungoTown

Never heard of tungo before.

Rofl xD

Haha!

Shall we go play Tungo now?!?! And for the others, HEY! Lets go play TurdTown nowww!!!

Luke
19-04-2008, 03:49 PM
may i point uot, it doesn't have to begin with T :P

Can be anything (within reason)

HabTown
19-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Ooo, I had an idea - Pixel Palace, or something along them lines ;O

Anyway, shut me up, and fill me with your ideas :D

MrPinkPanther
19-04-2008, 03:53 PM
To end the discussion of what Habbo has used to create their client:

The client was developed using the PROGRAM (IDE) Macromedia/Adobe Director using the language Lingo.

The server which processes the packets sent by the client is coded in Java.

Unless you get someone who knows Java/C#/C++/etc (don't even think about VB) then you will have no working client.
I believe the complete list is:

Graphics:
Macromedia Directors paint window
Adobe photoshop

Client side:
Macromedia Director

Server side:
Custom FUSE server technology (Java based)
SQL Database
Unix

RedCrisps
19-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Toon Town.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I believe the complete list is:

Graphics:
Macromedia Directors paint window
Adobe photoshop

Client side:
Macromedia Director

Server side:
Custom FUSE server technology (Java based)
SQL Database
Unix

Thanks for the information. :)

Toon Town.

Now that would be copyright. :O

RedCrisps
19-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the information. :)

Now that would be copyright. :O

No not rly.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 04:14 PM
No not rly.

It would, the name is Copyright, from the game called ToonTown.

Protege
19-04-2008, 04:15 PM
No not rly.

I dont think its trademarked, so yea it can be probably used but I'd check first.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I dont think its trademarked, so yea it can be probably used but I'd check first.

Good point, Toon Town doesn't really go with a Pixel type game though...

Movieen
19-04-2008, 05:10 PM
The most preferred languages for MMOCCs as such are:

Actionscript (Flash)
Lingo (Shockwave / Director)
Javascript&Java with PHP server

C++/C#/Java(independent) are more suitable for other games.
(MMORPGs etc)

HabTown
19-04-2008, 05:21 PM
The most preferred languages for MMOCCs as such are:

Actionscript (Flash)
Lingo (Shockwave / Director)
Javascript&Java with PHP server

C++/C#/Java(independent) are more suitable for other games.
(MMORPGs etc)

You seem to know your stuff.

Any ideas on where to buy good books, with information on how to create Isometric Tile Games?

Excellent
19-04-2008, 05:36 PM
You seem to know your stuff.

Any ideas on where to buy good books, with information on how to create Isometric Tile Games?I recommend the book for Isometric Tile Games.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I recommend the book for Isometric Tile Games.

Got any links for me, perhaps, maybe?

Excellent
19-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Got any links for me, perhaps, maybe?
www.IsometricTileGames.org.net.co.uk.com.info << Thats where I learn't.

MrPinkPanther
19-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Flash MX 2004 Game demystified

HabTown
19-04-2008, 06:10 PM
www.IsometricTileGames.org.net.co.uk.com.info (http://www.IsometricTileGames.org.net.co.uk.com.info) << Thats where I learn't.

None of them links seem to work, and a google search failed.

Flash MX 2004 Game demystified

I'm using Director, not Flash, thanks anyway.

Excellent
19-04-2008, 06:22 PM
None of them links seem to work, and a google search failed. Sarcasm my boy..

HabTown
19-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Sarcasm my boy..

Just figured that out. :P

Now anyone know any REAL books, that could help?

Movieen
19-04-2008, 06:29 PM
'Nuff tutorials on the internet.

HabTown
19-04-2008, 06:32 PM
'Nuff tutorials on the internet.

Google failed me at that point, no, really, it did.

MrPinkPanther
19-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Pen island has some decent ones.

Edited by --ss-- (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make pointless posts.

Movieen
19-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Pen island has some decent ones.

*Removed*

Edited by --ss-- (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not make inappropriate comments.

Protege
19-04-2008, 06:51 PM
This site I found is great here (http://driftpanzy.co.uk/google.html)

Breakfloor
19-04-2008, 06:53 PM
PHP for dummies

HTML for dummies

Java for dummies

they actually help.

Excellent
19-04-2008, 07:02 PM
PHP for dummies

HTML for dummies

Java for dummies

they actually help.
He doesn't want any of them, dummy. He wants lingo/director.

MrPinkPanther
19-04-2008, 07:30 PM
*Removed*
Yeh because you're mature.

Movieen
19-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeh because you're mature.

And, you're mature posting Pen Island? :l

Excellent
19-04-2008, 07:51 PM
http://www.penisland.net/ Lovely website, truely.. intriguing..:rolleyes:

Movieen
19-04-2008, 08:36 PM
http://www.penisland.net/ Lovely website, truely.. intriguing..:rolleyes:

Stop it now guys. >_>

Excellent
19-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Stop it now guys. >_>Is my superiority scaring you Mr.Movieen?

HabTown
19-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Moderator:-

Please close this thread, thanks.

NEW-START
19-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Is my superiority scaring you Mr.Movieen?

Gork; you are not superior I'm afraid to inform you, you are just acting silly now.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!