PDA

View Full Version : School hair rules.

ToxicPaddy
23-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Hello all :)

Well, I want to know your opinion on this. Our school has strict hair rules where it cant go past your eyes or touch your collar (I go to an all boys school). My hair is long for a boy, past the collar and I just move it away from my eyes, but my hair isn't straight its kinda wavy. No teachers have said anything to me, about my hair, but the day will come. My hair is clean it isint like a tramp. And, a lot of boys have longish hair nowadays.

So do you think the school should tell you what length to have your hair? Do you think it affects our human rights if they tell us to cut it?

ToxicPaddy :D

jesus
23-04-2008, 09:54 PM
They like to think they maintain an image of smartness within the pupils and uniforms that they wear but once they step out of the school gates it's 'shirt's untucked and ties off'. Pupils should be able to do what they want. :)

ToxicPaddy
23-04-2008, 09:56 PM
They like to think they maintain an image of smartness within the pupils and uniforms that they wear but once they step out of the school gates it's 'shirt's untucked and ties off'. Pupils should be able to do what they want. :)

Oh also in our school, if your outside school with the uniform on it must be top buttons done up, shirts tucked in etc otherwise they sign something called a 'Smarten up card' - three signatures and its a head of year after school detention. The smarten up card also applies in school too.

wrestle
23-04-2008, 09:57 PM
No, they don't have any right to tell you how to have your hair imo, obviously extreme hairstyles/colours shouldn't be allowed but you should be able to have it any length you like.

today
23-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Oh also in our school, if your outside school with the uniform on it must be top buttons done up, shirts tucked in etc otherwise they sign something called a 'Smarten up card' - three signatures and its a head of year after school detention. The smarten up card also applies in school too.
They cant force you, while out of ot school.

ToxicPaddy
23-04-2008, 10:00 PM
They cant force you, while out of ot school.

Thats what I and the other 900 or so people in my school thought, but they think they can :S

scott
23-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Ahha, i wouldnt say they where allowed to, and i wouldnt go back to the school if they where telling me how to have my hair :)

PaintYourTarget
23-04-2008, 10:03 PM
As long as you keep it clean and smart it shouldn't be a problem as it'd still portray a good image of the school.

ToxicPaddy
23-04-2008, 10:04 PM
As long as you keep it clean and smart it shouldn't be a problem as it'd still portray a good image of the school.

My hair is clean but when theres any wind it instantly goes messy lol people said I should straighten it and have the 'emo' look but idk

today
23-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Thats what I and the other 900 or so people in my school thought, but they think they can :S

Within school yes, however outside school they cannot actually force you as your not on the school grounds, the only thing they can make you do is not act like a prat while in uniform.

Mr.Sam
23-04-2008, 10:08 PM
say your a sikh convert and it is against your belief to cut your hair. :)

ToxicPaddy
23-04-2008, 10:09 PM
The school knows im Irish catholic :P
Now an Irish Sikh, not heard of it :)

Mr.Sam
23-04-2008, 10:10 PM
tie your hair up or something then, just remove the hair band when out of the gates.
The school knows im Irish catholic :P
Now an Irish Sikh, not heard of it :)

scott
23-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes i agree, but then they will argue with the fact of, what is smart? everyones opinion of smart is diffrent, but i think the whole idea is rubbish :D!

ToxicPaddy
23-04-2008, 10:12 PM
They are actually bringing in hair clips for people with long hair at school now :rolleyes:

Protege
24-04-2008, 04:22 AM
lool they did that at our school but we got a petition started and got rid of the rule to go past the collar but girls & boys aren't allowed hair in front of their eyes. Funny though as soon as the rule got changed the people with long hair got their hair cut short again.

scott
24-04-2008, 07:27 AM
They are actually bringing in hair clips for people with long hair at school now :rolleyes:
IS this a joke? Or are you being serious :rolleyes:

Decode
24-04-2008, 07:30 AM
In my school your hair isnt allowed to be shaved below a 3 and there are no rules about long hair :)

Jamesy
24-04-2008, 08:19 AM
they said they were but tbh the reaction they got must have put them off

*long hair flows in the wind*

ToxicPaddy
24-04-2008, 11:28 AM
No it isint a joke.

Moh
24-04-2008, 11:35 AM
The most they can do is exclude you. And then you could just report them for not educating you because your hair is too long. Shame it wont class as a hate crime :(

Judge Judy
24-04-2008, 11:39 AM
No rule for us.

btw the thread title sounded to me like you're saying hair in school rules hahaha :P

Moh
24-04-2008, 11:41 AM
btw the thread title sounded to me like you're saying hair in school rules hahaha :P
Yea, thats what I thought at first :P

At college you can have your hair how ever you like :)

Dan2nd
24-04-2008, 12:37 PM
It was like that at my school and it's even like that at Waitrose where I work your're not aloud long hair and if you do insist on it they make you tie it back or you get the sack ;)

DJ-Ains.T
24-04-2008, 12:46 PM
No gel
No "skinheads"
No coloured hair
No extreme hairstyles
If hair is longer that the color it must be cut
If your a girl, you must wear a bobble if its longer than the color
Boys are not allowed long hair
You must make sure your frinch is out of your eyes

LOL we have more :)

Moh
24-04-2008, 12:53 PM
No gel
No "skinheads"
No coloured hair
No extreme hairstyles

Isn't that sexist?
Boys are not allowed long hair, but girls are?

Dan2nd
24-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Isn't that sexist?

But it's like that with alot of things in my school girls made a big thing about being aloud to wear trousers and eventually the headmaster let them (even though they never wore the correct kind) Then boys wanted to be aloud to wear shirts with out ties like girls were and the teachers just said no... girls in my school got alot more priviledges.. =[

DJ-Ains.T
24-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Isn't that sexist?

Very sexist, but my head teacher is a big fat chav.

Judge Judy
24-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Oh actually I think there is a rule on hair. But didn't come to effect haha

It was about in the world cup you couldn't have your hair dyed to red or something

I don't remember LOL

le harry
24-04-2008, 01:30 PM
You can't have it past the collar.

lew!
24-04-2008, 01:36 PM
School isnt actually aloud to set the rules outside the school property. They can beg you all they want and say "please maintain your smart image outside school" but you dont have to. You can do what you want outside in your school clothes. The only time they can is if your under their supervision.. e.g School trips.

FlyingJesus
24-04-2008, 01:42 PM
My high school had no rules on it for a long time but when a lot of us started having long hair (actual long hair, not this partial growth thing that the emo and scene kids have) they insisted that we at least tie it back if it's past shoulder-length. We complained at first because no kid likes being told what to do with their appearance by teachers, but after a while we all tied it anyway because it was just easier. They were fairly lenient I guess - was an all boys school btw

Ugawa
24-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Boys are allowed long hair in my skl but people aint allowed to dye it unless its a natural colour, some person dyed their hair dark red once nd they got excluded until he redyed it normal colour.

XX

Ashley 12344
24-04-2008, 05:12 PM
They have full right to do it. Although I recommend you grow it/dye it or whatever, and find a new school.

Personally couldn't put up with an all boys school..

Technologic
24-04-2008, 05:19 PM
It's the same in our school but they let you off if its like no more than 2cm past the collar...

jackass
24-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm glad our school doesn't do that.

I think its the stupidest idea ever, talk about human rights violations. :rolleyes:

ToxicPaddy
24-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Im against this rule but I don't want to move school because its a grammar school which gets you better careers in life

Decode
24-04-2008, 05:32 PM
No gel
No "skinheads"
No coloured hair
No extreme hairstyles

Extremly strict, what happens if you dont follow those rules?

joshuar
24-04-2008, 05:32 PM
If my school made rules about hair I would tell them where to stick it.

I think that they can tell you what to wear in terms of a Uniform, but they can't enforce that out of school hours, nor can they tell you how to have your hair.

Ashley 12344
24-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Out of school they have 0 authority. In school however, so long as they aren't trying to enforce horrificly strict rules they can say what they like.

ToxicPaddy
24-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Out of school they have 0 authority. In school however, so long as they aren't trying to enforce horrificly strict rules they can say what they like.

They seem to think that when we are out school in uniform until we get home we are still under their rules, like a friend of mine got suspended from my school cause after school he went and played tag in sainsburys and the security phoned the school.

Misawa
24-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Well people will long hair do tend to look like tramps. My Sixth Form has no rules, as does the school.

Hayd93
24-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Well people will long hair do tend to look like tramps. My Sixth Form has no rules, as does the school.
agreed,also cant stand these "Emo" fringes.Still i cant look at long hair on men ever again after frank from shamless lol.

Thetan
24-04-2008, 08:18 PM

I like long hair, it doesn't make me look like a tramp.

scott
24-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Long hair looks ok on some people, but on some people it does make them look trampy :P

[Chris]
27-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Its not actully that bad in our school

Tie and shirt must be tucked in - Tie has to be 9 stripes long.. AS IF
Hair must be pinchable, any shorter and well.. good bye
Any patterns in hair.. bye bye
dyed exotic colours.. bye bye
Although some girls i know use extentions, red, blue ect, and some dye parts of their hair orange ect..
theres no rules about longer hair tbh.. mines just near the bottom of my neck

who cares about hair anyway?

Florx
27-04-2008, 01:01 AM
We have to wear 'Clip-on ties' now because nobody cared about having them long enough but nobody wears them anyway.

There's only 2 rules about hair - no unnatural colors, no skinheads.

You will be sent home e.t.c. if you break them. We have a 'Uniform' card which if we get 3 signatures its a detention on friday for an hour. Nobody goes though - similar to the smarten up card someone mentioned.

Its all crap because the teachers cannot be arsed enforcing it! LOL.

-Soph-
27-04-2008, 06:06 AM
I just think uniforms should be scrapped entirely, including that.

I lived in the UK where we obviously had to wear a uniform, and then about 15 months ago I moved to the U.S. where I don't have to, and honestly... most people don't go OTT and abuse the fact that they're allowed to do whatever they want and wear whatever they want, I prefer going to school in something comfy than a stiff blazer and a tie that makes me feel uncomfortable,
I was always told that in the UK, the rules were in place to keep a school's good reputation, but does it really? The minute you're out of the gates everything gets pulled out and buttoned down anyway... I've never looked at how good a school is based on what their students look like anyway, the first thing I'd look at is their test scores, I guess.

Firehorse
27-04-2008, 08:57 AM
No hair rules that I know of in my school. Stricter on uniform tho even though some people still like to wear hoodies inside.

Ashhizzle
27-04-2008, 08:08 PM
OUr school's stupid for hair.

You can't have under grade 2, but you can have bleached blonde, basically white, long and all spiked up.

You can't have colour, like blue pink green...

You're not even aloud moheakens. some people in my year, their hair naturally goes mohawk :P

Herman
28-04-2008, 01:19 PM
in my school, boys' hair should not touch the collar, the eyebrow or the ears, somewhat like yours. my hair is also wavy, it touches my eyebrow but not my ears or collar. i've been told to cut my fringe many times :P used to these things anyway.

i'm fine with uniforms though. infact, i like them.

metal.ant
02-05-2008, 01:16 PM
My school doesn't care really. The school just doesn't really want Skin heads.

whereas myself has long hair. They just dont bother.
Mines past my shoulders. So to be honest... Our rules are fine, atm at least.

Asher
02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
My school didn't care, my hair constantly made me look like a hobo

joshuar
02-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I have learned from people in our school that they are planning on applying hair rules. Lucky for me I'm leaving after this year or I would be suspended.

I'm already facing suspension for hacking the school network and showed them how I did it. Some logic there. Not that it's important as I leave next week.

William93
02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
My school had a rule where we were no longer allowed spiky hair, because apparently it would affect your learning OR if you fell over, you could stab someone.

However, that rule was quickly abolished.

Bef
02-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Aslong as your not shaving a swastika in then i dont see the problem. My old school used to be really arsey about bleached hair, mine is light light blonde and in the summer it goes like bleach, i always used to get in trouble for it as they thought i was dying it!

Independent
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Hello all :)

Well, I want to know your opinion on this. Our school has strict hair rules where it cant go past your eyes or touch your collar (I go to an all boys school). My hair is long for a boy, past the collar and I just move it away from my eyes, but my hair isn't straight its kinda wavy. No teachers have said anything to me, about my hair, but the day will come. My hair is clean it isint like a tramp. And, a lot of boys have longish hair nowadays.

So do you think the school should tell you what length to have your hair? Do you think it affects our human rights if they tell us to cut it?

ToxicPaddy :D
I'm in an all boys school as well :l

We have the same rule at our school, about the hair not passing the collar, and highlights must be natraul colors or nothing, if your hair passes your collar you have to wear a hairband.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!