PDA

View Full Version : Whats the point...

Galaxay
24-04-2008, 03:24 PM
In doing "private" votes, that we cant see the results too? its pointless hiding the results from us >_>

Slowpoke
24-04-2008, 03:26 PM
The results are given for everyone to see when the poll closes so it doesn't really matter.

Galaxay
24-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeh, but whats the actual point in hiding it through the voting process? Just a reason for admins to use their tools?

joshuar
24-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Why is it such an issue that it deserves its own thread. I don't see why it is that bigger deal that the results are hidden.

Galaxay
24-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Where else am i meant to post it? :rolleyes: Just randomly post in the thread itself and no-one take notice of it?

I just dont see the point in them hiding the votes, it just seems admin wants to use their tools/mess about.

---MAD---
24-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Where else am i meant to post it? :rolleyes: Just randomly post in the thread itself and no-one take notice of it?

I just dont see the point in them hiding the votes, it just seems admin wants to use their tools/mess about.
And so what if we do :P?

risque
24-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Is there a feature/box you can tick so that you don't have to see the polls?

Galaxay
24-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Nope, its just admins hiding / making em private.

MAD whats the point though? :P

I wanna see what % of hx use skins n stuff XD

---MAD---
24-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Nope, its just admins hiding / making em private.

MAD whats the point though? :P

I wanna see what % of hx use skins n stuff XD
You will see at the end when the poll is closed, as usual ;).

Galaxay
24-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I'll allow you to close the thread then :P

GommeInc
24-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Why is it such an issue that it deserves its own thread. I don't see why it is that bigger deal that the results are hidden.
Stupid post from an AGM, it's feedback "/

And it stupid to hide the results, when we are given them at the end. Can't we see how the votes progress? There is no reason to hide them, it's just a reason to use out a semi-pointless tool...

KL!!!
24-04-2008, 04:29 PM
No offence but how do we know the results are not "fixed" to what you want to hear.

Just wondering..

Galaxay
24-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Because why would staff edit what skin you use to "Fix" it? lols.

Not like their gonna remove all entrys from Say Classic and put on black skin? :S

samsaBEAR
24-04-2008, 04:36 PM
yeh, i dont understand this either.
if you've got time to play around with tools, you've got time to actually improve the quality of this forum and its staff. they both seem to be lacking recently (with a few exceptions)

KL!!!
24-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Because why would staff edit what skin you use to "Fix" it? lols.

Not like their gonna remove all entrys from Say Classic and put on black skin? :S
I didn't mean it like that, i meant say we said 80% users didn't play Habbo but then the poll "says" 80% play Habbo.

That's what i meant.

Bad example.

jackass
24-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Well its your own choice, so it doesn't really matter. :P

samsaBEAR
24-04-2008, 04:56 PM
I didn't mean it like that, i meant say we said 80% users didn't play Habbo but then the poll "says" 80% play Habbo.

That's what i meant.

Bad example.
you are noob with no posts :)

what he is trying to say is that the poll could be changed to be bias towards 'Yes - i do play habbo' or w/e the category was called

The Professor
24-04-2008, 04:59 PM
yeh, i dont understand this either.
if you've got time to play around with tools, you've got time to actually improve the quality of this forum and its staff. they both seem to be lacking recently (with a few exceptions)

How can you improve the quality of human beings? You can't just tighten up the screws on our neck joints!

KL!!!
24-04-2008, 05:00 PM
you are noob with no posts :)

what he is trying to say is that the poll could be changed to be bias towards 'Yes - i do play habbo' or w/e the category was called
Thats what im trying to say lmao. >.<

Why not just make the poll public at the end at least?

The Professor
24-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Why not just make the poll public at the end at least?

That's how it works...

KL!!!
24-04-2008, 05:08 PM
That's how it works...
But its not?

http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=475427

samsaBEAR
24-04-2008, 05:13 PM
How can you improve the quality of human beings? You can't just tighten up the screws on our neck joints!
i meant by getting rid of some and getting in new members. a lot of the mods are lacking in skill imo.

and i agree with kl!!!. that poll is still closed.
i know someone will say 'but we have the results now but how do we know they weren't changed? it sounds paranoia-esque, but its a fair point

The Professor
24-04-2008, 05:19 PM
But its not?

http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=475427

He posted the results in the first post.

i meant by getting rid of some and getting in new members. a lot of the mods are lacking in skill imo.

and i agree with kl!!!. that poll is still closed.
i know someone will say 'but we have the results now but how do we know they weren't changed? it sounds paranoia-esque, but its a fair point

The team of mods atm is no higher/lower in skill than any other arrangement of mods I've had the fortune to work with, and in the last batch of trialists, one of them failed. We don't keep mods in for the sake of numbers :)

Of all the people in habbox, the general manager should be the person you trust most barring sierk. I can't see any plausible reason to change the results of the vote anyway, if you can find one feel free to fire it towards me!

joshuar
24-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Sorry for my earlier post. I was in possibly the worst mood and everything annoyed me.

This is slightly off topic, but I thought I should post to say that I would retract it if I could.

KL!!!
24-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Sorry for my earlier post. I was in possibly the worst mood and everything annoyed me.

This is slightly off topic, but I thought I should post to say that I would retract it if I could.
Your always in a foul mood lately.

samsaBEAR
24-04-2008, 05:25 PM
He posted the results in the first post.

The team of mods atm is no higher/lower in skill than any other arrangement of mods I've had the fortune to work with, and in the last batch of trialists, one of them failed. We don't keep mods in for the sake of numbers :)

Of all the people in habbox, the general manager should be the person you trust most barring sierk. I can't see any plausible reason to change the results of the vote anyway, if you can find one feel free to fire it towards me!
well habbox are in the run to become offical arent they?
maybe they feel that if they can clearly show that they have a large percentage of people that still use habbo, and that can co-exist with the percentage that doesn't play habbo, it'll get them brownie points towards the final decision?
idk tbh :P

its perfectly ok :)

GommeInc
24-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Meh, crap happens :P

You can't change the quality of human beings, but you can teach them or make things clearer. Most answers to questions I throw are answered by loads of people different, it seems there isn't an answer to most things on Habbox. It's a mess as far as organising, staff, communcation and managing is concerned.

Habbox is far too strict for its own good, it doesn't have to be. Habbox would work better if it actually did what it was meant to do, be a community and that community is ranged between the ages of 12-18 *average* and these ages will post of topic, start seperate conversations and talk differently. So why act different? All Habbox staff are kids (barring sierk) so let them be kids, and the moderators and staff should be kids with the members. I know through experience that the best way to treat children-teenagers is to talk to them, not be lazy and anti-social with just banning with no written excuse... The excuse "it takes alot of time to process bans and PM them personally" is aload of crap, it takes no effort and the reward by doing this is far greater than the misery of having to keep banning a member over and over again. You earn respect and get looked at positively. if Habbox can focus on these things, then it will work. By taking the "lets act like 50 year olds, type like s**** and treat people the same age as us like children" is getting old and is starting to wear thin the patience of those around them.

KL!!!
24-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I agree with some of your post but some of the Managment is alright, not just friend wise but how they deal with things and i have to take Mr Alex as a example and H0bJ0B.

They are both great managers and keep things organised.

GhostFace-
24-04-2008, 06:05 PM
i agree; with the new poll why hide the results ?

--ss--
24-04-2008, 06:34 PM
It's so the current results can't influence you in your vote or something?
I can see the results anyway so it doesn't bother me :P

samsaBEAR
24-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I agree with some of your post but some of the Managment is alright, not just friend wise but how they deal with things and i have to take Mr Alex as a example and H0bJ0B.

They are both great managers and keep things organised.
agreed, there's a few, like alex + rosie (catzy or w/e :P) who are really on the ball, and deserve their positions
but a lot of the other moderators dont deserve it

GommeInc
24-04-2008, 09:37 PM
agreed, there's a few, like alex + rosie (catzy or w/e :P) who are really on the ball, and deserve their positions
but a lot of the other moderators dont deserve it
I guess that's a bit unfair, perhaps shouldn't of been given the positions to begin with, or actually told what to do rather than get confused, which is what I see anyway :S

samsaBEAR
25-04-2008, 07:23 AM
I guess that's a bit unfair, perhaps shouldn't of been given the positions to begin with, or actually told what to do rather than get confused, which is what I see anyway :S
well yeh, maybe i was a bit harsh. but a lot of them do need a little push in the right direction every now and then

The Professor
25-04-2008, 03:42 PM
It's so the current results can't influence you in your vote or something?
I can see the results anyway so it doesn't bother me :P

WHATT? :'( I can't! No fair! :P

agreed, there's a few, like alex + rosie (catzy or w/e :P) who are really on the ball

Aww you're a star :love7:

On pain of death, don't spell her name wrong. The poor girl gets very angry, usually towards me :P Catzsy!

Its a far harder job than it looks! Believe it or not, I actually only got my amount of infraction reversals to 0 in the last reports, and I've been a moderator for about half a year now I think. I'd put money on the fact that you'd get a fair number of reversals in your first month or two, not because you're bad at the job or the management are bad at training, but because the best way to learn is to make the mistakes and have an smod give you a hard kick back into line (a very friendly hard kick I might add).

I'd like to think I've pretty much mastered it now, my reversals are at 0 and the only negative feedback I get is from people whinging that they've got an infraction for calling half the forum an idiot. But I've been here as a moderator for about half a year; skill comes with experience, and there is nothing anyone can inject into you to make you good at the job, and I'd say the same for all departments, not just moderation. That's what reports are for: to nudge the staff member onto the right track if they've made a mistake and/or to appropriately praise staff who work hard. But I'm going into management techniques now, and that's a whole new kettle of fish :P

As you say, there are kids moderating this forum, and kids make mistakes but are also renowned for learning quickly and retaining information. And I'd be the first to say the moderator team is a pretty damn good team of kids who don't get the recognition they deserve sometimes, either they get blamed or Elkaa/Nick get blamed for doing bad jobs. Neither is true, as I say its just inexperience (and the occasional inconspicuous rule change) that trip people up, and those mistakes become fewer with time :)

Catzsy
25-04-2008, 04:44 PM
On pain of death, don't spell her name wrong. The poor girl gets very angry, usually towards me :P Catzsy!

Hmmm, Alex I got used to my name being spelt wrong years ago - I am not sure where you got this from.:S:P

I would agree good moderators usually perform to a good standard as long they are willing to learn from their mistakes and take advice. :)

The Professor
25-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, Alex I got used to my name being spelt wrong years ago - I am not sure where you got this from.:S:P

Or so you would have us believe... :P

GommeInc
25-04-2008, 05:36 PM
It does seem a tough job when, judging from many mebers areactions, they're told to do things differently by different people and systems change constantly, which is good for members, but also bad for members and moderators when they botyh get confused by the changes and start arguing over things.

Also, the FAQs should have most of the things mentioned in the Feedback forum added to itself, considering some questions are frequently asked and the same response is given.

Galaxay
25-04-2008, 05:52 PM
It does seem a tough job when, judging from many mebers areactions, they're told to do things differently by different people and systems change constantly, which is good for members, but also bad for members and moderators when they both get confused by the changes and start arguing over things.

Also, the FAQs should have most of the things mentioned in the Feedback forum added to itself, considering some questions are frequently asked and the same response is given.

A good forum moderator shouldnt argue :)

GommeInc
25-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Indeed, but there is a boundary which is crossed when they're fed up. I don't think any action should be taken unless an agreement cannot be made, they have a right to moan and complain, afterall, if someone or a group of people are arguing about something, surely something is wrong?

samsaBEAR
25-04-2008, 06:59 PM

lol, i was going to add the 's' but i didnt think it looked right.
:P

Catzsy
25-04-2008, 08:10 PM

Well I do agree here Scott. Discuss yes but never argue. It makes a mockery of what we are supposed to be here for.

Samsabear, the odd dropped 'S' is fine and its a lot better than I have been called on here.:P

The Professor
25-04-2008, 09:34 PM
It does seem a tough job when, judging from many mebers areactions, they're told to do things differently by different people and systems change constantly, which is good for members, but also bad for members and moderators when they botyh get confused by the changes and start arguing over things.

Meh, its an occupational hazard. Like slipping on wet floors if you work in a water factory. Sorry, my similies aren't too good at half 10 at night :P

You won't find moderators complaining about things much outside of the staff forums, mainly because most complaints are the result of confusion which can be solved via a thread in the staff forums or a PM to someone else. Us moderator species seem to be able to adapt to new systems pretty well :P In fact, the members complain more than we do, saying it makes our jobs harder, but we don't really care either way, so its a bit backwards. But hey, its nice to know people think of us!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!