View Full Version : Hows the transition

Hypertext
25-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Ok, so I've got enough money to go buy a mac office.

I'm thinking of:
24in iMac;
Macbook Pro;
A timecapsule (for websites backup etc).

But how is the transition from windows?

I'm just worried a lot of things I do with windows won't work, ex. hotkeys, my programs, downloads, basic fixes, etc.

Klydo
25-04-2008, 02:54 AM
If you've got an hour open in your Diary then that's all you'll need. I had never used a Mac in my life until I got my MacBook. As soon as I opened it I was able to understand and follow it and was basically working it like my PC within the hour.

Hypertext
25-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Sounds awesome. I can't wait. My PC is hellish. And Sluggish. Is there anything I should know about WiFi compatibility, as I'm currently with comcast and I know they offer mac/pc softwares.

Klydo
25-04-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm with BT on a Belkin router and both my iMac and MacBook connected instantly without the need of software unlike my PC's.

Recursion
25-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Me and my laptops have never needed software Klydo so thats an invalid point your trying to emphasize.

alexxxxx
25-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Ok, so I've got enough money to go buy a mac office.

I'm thinking of:
24in iMac;
Macbook Pro;
A timecapsule (for websites backup etc).

But how is the transition from windows?

I'm just worried a lot of things I do with windows won't work, ex. hotkeys, my programs, downloads, basic fixes, etc.

You really wanna buy that much all in one go!? You could just run windows if you like as well as OS X or crossover too. But depends on what you want.

Barmi
25-04-2008, 06:50 AM
You won't be able to run a great deal of your Windows programs on your Macs, but there are Mac alternatives available for the more popular packages. If you're desperate to run one particular piece of software that isn't available for Mac OS, then you could run it under VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop (or even the in-built Boot Camp) with a copy of Windows XP or Vista.

WiFi is simple: it will configure itself and the only thing it may ask is for passwords.

I switched from PC to Mac in October, and it was worth it. :)

Klydo
25-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Me and my laptops have never needed software Klydo so thats an invalid point your trying to emphasize.
I never said I was speaking about laptops, I'm speaking about my two desktops. As have never had a Windows laptop, however to get the connection to my desktops I had to install a tonne of software which was just a pain as it never explains it how it should. Where as with my iMac (desktop) it instantly connects to the internet.

Jericho
25-04-2008, 03:46 PM
There is more than enough apps to cover office and fun stuff you would do on a PC, and best of all, all the best mac apps are freeware (or very, very cheap). Hopefully you know the main stuff like, Macs dont run .exe's, they run .dmgs which is for installing and what not. iWork is a more than capable alternative for Office 08. iLife is great. Macs are just easier all round machines. Downloads will be fine, Macs can download stuff same as Windows, but obv, wont run .exes :) I dont know about hotkeys, but if you mean like key shortcuts, they are very easy to set up. You wont need many basic fixes tbh (That sounds like a mac fanboy quote, but its honest truth) Un installing stuff is as simple as dragging to trash and emptying, but you can use AppZapper to totally wipe it from your HDD. I only switched last month, and I know my way around like the back of my hand, after being brought up on windows computers since I was a small lad (12 years!)

Its well worth it though, go for it!

Recursion
25-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I never said I was speaking about laptops, I'm speaking about my two desktops. As have never had a Windows laptop, however to get the connection to my desktops I had to install a tonne of software which was just a pain as it never explains it how it should. Where as with my iMac (desktop) it instantly connects to the internet.

Sorry early in the morning, I meant all my computers, This PC I built my self has WiFi built into the motherboard, you have the option of installing the software but I choose not to, Vista just said Wireless Networks are available, I clicked it, put the WEP Key in and off I went...

But yeh, good luck with the Mac, you WILL love it!

samsaBEAR
25-04-2008, 07:11 PM
im thinking about getting a macbook, ive only used eMacs in art at school, but im pretty sure i could use a Mac like i use a PC.

GommeInc
25-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Sorry early in the morning, I meant all my computers, This PC I built my self has WiFi built into the motherboard, you have the option of installing the software but I choose not to, Vista just said Wireless Networks are available, I clicked it, put the WEP Key in and off I went...

But yeh, good luck with the Mac, you WILL love it!
Vista seems to recognise most things. It recognised a graphics card I installed, as in it knew the name and specs of it. Didn't need any drivers :P

Klydo
26-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Vista seems to recognise most things. It recognised a graphics card I installed, as in it knew the name and specs of it. Didn't need any drivers :P
Apart from basic software and it's own operating system. I can run Vista a lot faster than my granda can on his "Vista Ready" laptop which cost £400 more than my MacBook. People say "yeah but you don't get much software to work on a Mac" incorrect since it can take Windows which means it can take anything it can. Vista is worse than the original Mac OS interms of compatible software, as everything has an error on it when you try to install.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!