PDA

View Full Version : Klydo | Homepage Design

Klydo
25-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Okay, spent most of today redoing the homepage design to be firstly more bandwidth friendly, as previous we were using very large images for each of the boxes. Now they've been sliced and diced. Secondly to generally look better and hold the featured area better. What are your thoughts? Before anyone says "It needs colour" (as thats the norm whenever I post white/black based layouts) please be aware that we can't do much colour in the content due to the fact the user can change the site's header background colour. So it would clash with colours if we made it anything but whites, greys and black, sorry.

Just like to point out this is a screenshot from the site of the coded version not just a mock up in Photoshop.

http://images.klydo.com/preview/homepage_fri_25_apr.png

Closed by Hitman (Forum Super Moderator): Thread has gone offtopic.

Hypertext
25-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Much, Much, MUCH, better. lol @ Public service ads direct it to a page and use them for a klydo ad or w.e. Nice featured looks better without writing etc, maybe not new pictures, maybe something else, some people might feel it's kind of against they're privacy or w.e it feels a bit too personal to publish on the frontpage, maybe the background color should be white all the way, but idk, whys it on messages? :P

Edit: understood about content color, good call, i hate it when users make bad myspaces etc. They clash.,

Klydo
25-04-2008, 01:36 AM
The nav is on Messages as my mouse was hovering the button when I took the screenshot :P

Also the pictures will only appear their if you've selected that you want yours to. So there are no privacy problems there. The public service ads are there as Adsense hasn't generated us any proper adverts really. There are one or two that you'll see time and again, we just haven't went over setting them up fully as they were just to fill the space while we develop so we could get the idea. Also the background has been gradiented so as if brings a more 3d feel to what was a flat page. When it was plain white it looked as if it was entirely flat but as soon as I added the gradient it like brought it to life :P

Hypertext
25-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Just saw a screenshot of plain white, and the gradient does look better, keep it =)

But looking good.

p.s. I'm jealous of your mac collection. :) Read my thread in that forum.

Klydo
25-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah the gradient does look better, I've just added some floated shadows to the featured area to make it stand out more....

Jam-ez
25-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I love it, I can see a success in Klydo.

Klydo
25-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I love it, I can see a success in Klydo.
Thank you :D

Source
25-04-2008, 04:51 PM
So can I, the video's impressed me greatly and the overall design is fantastic. imo the 'bland' colours work very well, I would have not said its bland at all - Its web2.0 thats easy to navigate, something networking sites don't have at the moment!

Invent
25-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Its web2.0 thats easy to navigate, something networking sites don't have at the moment!Uh, Virb (http://www.virb.com)?

Source
25-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I had not come across that site before, looks nice. But posting up other sites is slightly besides the point, I was making a comment as a general term. Thanks anyway :)

Excellent
25-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Uh, Virb (http://www.virb.com)?Explain that one Mr.Klydo?
EDIT: Haha he's even copied the banner changer idea. Oh and the widgets idea, oh and the layout concept.

Instrumentals.
25-04-2008, 06:11 PM
*doesn't see whats copied*

RedArmy
25-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I can't see what's copied either? :S

Excellent
25-04-2008, 06:26 PM
*doesn't see whats copied*
Then your as thick as two short planks.

You too.

Edited by brandon (Forum Moderator): Please do not be rude towards other users

Lenta
25-04-2008, 06:31 PM
*Removed*

Edited by --ss-- (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude ;).

wewt
25-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm gonna be honest, it's not in any way a bad design - but there's nothing special about it. It doesn't excite me. To make it better you should let it breath - add more white space between the sections. You're not paying for space.

Instrumentals.
25-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Then your as thick as two short planks.

You too.

Edited by brandon (Forum Moderator): Please do not be rude towards other users

Circle a few things and show me instead of calling me thick. :\

Lenta
25-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Circle a few things and show me instead of calling me thick. :\

The whole content idea, the band advertisement bit.

Colour changer etc.

Excellent
25-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Circle a few things and show me instead of calling me thick. :\Okay. http://i26.tinypic.com/166ky6v_th.png

Jam-ez
25-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Okay. http://i26.tinypic.com/166ky6v_th.png

LOL! :)

He wins, and yeh, it does seem copied, sorry, but I'm taking their side on this one.

Klydo
25-04-2008, 07:38 PM
It's in no way copied, try and circle a thing on the virb homepage that is copied to the klydo homepage. Virb doesn't have new pictures, hot music, new blogs, new members, hot videos, it has a two column layout with an artist featured at the top with an about to the site on the site where as ours are two side by side. You can't say that because I've rounded the corners that makes it copied lol...

Also please try and find on Virb anywhere that the banners colour changes as you do it on the screen :)

Instrumentals.
25-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Okay. http://i26.tinypic.com/166ky6v_th.png

*REMOVED* fail at trying to be funny.

Edited by Hitman (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't insult other forum members, thanks.

Excellent
25-04-2008, 09:21 PM
*REMOVED* fail at trying to be funny.Now now don't cry, bet you laughed.

Instrumentals.
26-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Now now don't cry, bet you laughed.

:/ Habbox is really starting to get nooby users on.

Jam-ez
26-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Just saying that makes you one of these 'nooby' users however?

No offence. :)

And, I think I said before, it's a nice design.

Klydo
26-04-2008, 10:54 AM
It started years ago...

Jam-ez
26-04-2008, 10:55 AM
It started years ago...

It started when HabboxForum was created, cause the creator was a newb! :)

No offence creator!

Instrumentals.
26-04-2008, 11:00 AM
@Kyldo, true, but its getting worse!
Just saying that makes you one of these 'nooby' users however?

No offence. :)

And, I think I said before, it's a nice design.

Don't think so, habbox was the best in 2004-2006.

Jam-ez
26-04-2008, 11:03 AM
@Kyldo, true, but its getting worse!

Don't think so, habbox was the best in 2004-2006.

Are you one of them people that go round on Habbo... 'oh i av been plyin since '04 so i no better dan you!'

Instrumentals.
26-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Are you one of them people that go round on Habbo... 'oh i av been plyin since '04 so i no better dan you!'

I don't go on habbo, and I don't think I'm better then everyone else. Habbo is for sad people who spend their money online and haven't got anything better to do.

Excellent
26-04-2008, 11:46 AM
It started years ago......When you joined.

I don't go on habbo, and I don't think I'm better then everyone else. Habbo is for sad people who spend their money online and haven't got anything better to do.Yet your on a HABBO forum?

Klydo
26-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Think you'll find the majority of people on this forum no longer play Habbo. This is a place for ex-Habbo players rather than current Habbo players. Go to places like ClubHabbo if you're looking for a forum filled with idiots still playing the game.

Instrumentals.
26-04-2008, 11:52 AM
...When you joined.

Yet your on a HABBO forum?

Yeah this is a Habbo forum but doesn't mean that only Habbo's can come only, Their are 20+ year olds on these forums, the only forum I post in is the Technology + The web section.

Excellent
26-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Think you'll find the majority of people on this forum no longer play Habbo. This is a place for ex-Habbo players rather than current Habbo players. Go to places like ClubHabbo if you're looking for a forum filled with idiots still playing the game.
Okay go in the trading section, go in the rumours section, over half the majority of this forum still play habbo my friend. And you have the nerve to call them idiots when you probably played? Your a damn right hypocrite.

Yeah this is a Habbo forum but doesn't mean that only Habbo's can come only, Their are 20+ year olds on these forums, the only forum I post in is the Technology + The web section.20+ year olds that still play habbo.

Kieran
26-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Just because you play, doesn't mean everyone does =)

Instrumentals.
26-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Okay go in the trading section, go in the rumours section, over half the majority of this forum still play habbo my friend. And you have the nerve to call them idiots when you probably played? Your a damn right hypocrite.

20+ year olds that still play habbo.

Some do, but the 20+ year olds that I'm talking about are people who post in the web host section, and others as well, they don't go on Habbo. I think you should re-think what you say because you're trying to say only habbo'ers are allowed to post on habbox, well no, that isn't it.

Dentafrice
26-04-2008, 01:17 PM
It started when HabboxForum was created, cause the creator was a newb! :)

No offence creator!

What are you talking about? Explain please ;)

...When you joined.

Yet your on a HABBO forum?

Okay Gork, this forum is not only for Habbo members. I have been on this forum since the start, and I quit Habbo about the start of 2007.

I still visit this forum because it really helped me develop into what I am today. I have learned a lot on this forum, and it has taught me many things.

I still come on this forum because I have been a member for so long, and I enjoy some of the discussions. I don't miss the constant bickering and fighting that goes on. From idiots such as... nevermind.

You're saying "Yet you're on a HABBO forum?" when you have a Habbo avatar?

This forum is not just for Habbo players, I am sure if you check this section, at least 96% if not more, do not play Habbo.

Hypocrite.

20+ year olds that still play habbo.

You want to know why, because that is the flipping Habbo section! No ****, there are going to be Habbo players in a Habbo Section. I mean duh?

Thats like going to a Web Design forum (http://www.sitepoint.com) looking for race car drivers.

Its obvious. Quit failing at making acceptable points ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!