PDA

View Full Version : Linux Ubuntu 8 HELP!

Aces
25-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Hello, I'm trying to install Linux Ubuntu onto my hard drive, but it never works!
What i did:
Burned the ubuntu iso image onto a DVD-RW
I changed boot priorities, DVD before hard drive boot.
Did a full system defrag on computer, still does not start the ubuntu OS!

What am i doing wrong?

iFuseDan
25-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Hello,

Try using a non RW disk - from my exp. with OS installations, I have noticed that there are often boot issues with RW Disks (CD and DVD). Secondly, make sure you properly burnt the ISO to disk, ensuring you didnt just stick the ISO as a file on the disk. ISO's are basicly fancy zip files which also contain information on how the disk should boot etc.. (its more complex than that, however easiest way to explain).

Kind regards,

Aces
25-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Hello,

Try using a non RW disk - from my exp. with OS installations, I have noticed that there are often boot issues with RW Disks (CD and DVD). Secondly, make sure you properly burnt the ISO to disk, ensuring you didnt just stick the ISO as a file on the disk. ISO's are basicly fancy zip files which also contain information on how the disk should boot etc.. (its more complex than that, however easiest way to explain).

Kind regards,
I was told that it works with anything, including RW..
Hm, i'm not sure about the burning part..
I just burned the file i downloaded? Not sure if theres another way to do it.

Jongo
25-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Does the computer try to boot from your DVD Drive? Or does it just start up your original operating system? I would manually select where to boot from on start up.

If this isn't the problem, did anything go wrong with download because your installation disk may be corrupted in some way.

If you've still got the iso on your computer try using WinMD5Sum (http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/winmd5sum) to check if the iso file got corrupted.

If you could answer the questions above it may be able to help myself and other members to furthermore assist you with your problem.

Aces
25-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Does the computer try to boot from your DVD Drive? Or does it just start up your original operating system? I would manually select where to boot from on start up.
Well, i selected to boot it before hard drive, is there a way to do it manually?
Please do tell me.

Agnostic Bear
25-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Get MagicISO and use "Burn ISO with cd/dvd" you're just copying the file onto the disc not making a boot cd.

Aces
25-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Get MagicISO and use "Burn ISO with cd/dvd" you're just copying the file onto the disc not making a boot cd.
I tried MagicIso, they dont allow 300MB+ files for free.

Jongo
25-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, i selected to boot it before hard drive, is there a way to do it manually?
Please do tell me.

It depends on what type of computer it is, just try different Filial keys like F8/F12/F11 etc and a boot menu should pop up.

Aces
25-04-2008, 06:14 PM
It depends on what type of computer it is, just try different Filial keys like F8/F12/F11 etc and a boot menu should pop up.
that's what i do.

iFuseDan
25-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Use the free version of Deepburner www.deepburner.com - you can just download the portable copy if you want ... when it runs use the "Burn ISO image" insert your disk, select the image and hit burn ... it'll eject when done.

Simply put the DVD back in, and reboot, should boot first time.

Aces
25-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks to all help i received, it's all working now though.
Well, to explain to everyone what i did wrong was:
chose 64-bit instead of 32-bit ( i have 64-bit but it's laggy )
I tried burning onto a DVD, you need a CD-R!
& that was it!
+rep to all replies.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!