PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel - Will it ever be possible?

Decode
25-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Some scientists belive that if an object travels faster than the speed of light, it will travel through time. Blasting particles faster than the speed of light is ment to make a worm hole which will allow objects to travel through.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Worm3.jpg

But is this true? How can something that has allready happened happen again?

Debate

Dan2nd
25-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I remember reading this guy has built a machine which will allow people from the future to travel back to us but not the other way around. The reason why we would not have seen time travellers yet is because they will only be able to travel back as far as the date the machine is first switched on. He is planning to switch the machine on in may and if it does work someone will travel to us almost instantly if they have kept records of the machine being made

Decode
25-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I remember reading this guy has built a machine which will allow people from the future to travel back to us but not the other way around. The reason why we would not have seen time travellers yet is because they will only be able to travel back as far as the date the machine is first switched on. He is planning to switch the machine on in may and if it does work someone will travel to us almost instantly if they have kept records of the machine being made
I remember that thread also, but surly no one would be able to travel through something when particles are getting fired at them at the speed of light.

dirrty
25-04-2008, 05:07 PM
well it depends on our technology i guess. if its advanced enough to build a time machine, then yes i would say it is possible. or will be anyway.

lew!
25-04-2008, 05:12 PM
at a few posts above,
Yes, thats the haydron. Its built by hundreds of people.

Also, we can go fowards in time, but not back.
E.G, he switches it on at may the 5th 2008, we can go to may 2nd 2009 but we cant go to anything like may the 4th or anything before that because theres nothing to go back to as there was no power towards it

Kieran
25-04-2008, 05:18 PM
There are particles rebounding off you all the time, you just can't tell. In fact, check this out:

When you sit down, you never actually sit down. You are hovering on rebounding particles coming from you and the chair!

Hitman
25-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Hm, well possibly. But what I think is, past may be possible as it's happened and it could be 'recorded' (we have memories don't we?) But the future, no. It's not happened yet so there's nothing to go to.

My thoughts anyway...

Decode
25-04-2008, 05:26 PM
This video is interesting, it shows that someone might have allready traveled in time.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuhr6nUH31k

Inseriousity.
25-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't really want to find out... why meddle with something that should be kept well alone?? It's not about meddling with nature by straightening rivers to avoid floods causing a massive flood (Mississippi flood lmao learnt about it in geography)... it's the same thing but a bit more advanced...

Dan2nd
25-04-2008, 06:17 PM
and there was of course John Titor who claimed to be from the future lol but a lot of his claims have been debunked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

cocaine
25-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Yeah, but if a traveller came from the future, then when the traveller was first born, he/she would know that when they are x years old they will go back in time, and it'd all get too confusing for me :(

Javascrypt
25-04-2008, 06:30 PM
If somebody went back in time and changed it. We All Would be different.

ToxicPaddy
25-04-2008, 06:55 PM
If a person in England travelled faster than the speed of light, they could be in Australia in what, ten seconds or less? So they have travelled like 9/10 hours ahead of time.

Scriptermone
25-04-2008, 07:00 PM
If a person in England travelled faster than the speed of light, they could be in Australia in what, ten seconds or less? So they have travelled like 9/10 hours ahead of time.
No... the speed of light in miles is: 186 282.397 miles per second.

Which means it could go round the earth 7.49331238 times in a second

ToxicPaddy
25-04-2008, 11:10 PM
No... the speed of light in miles is: 186 282.397 miles per second.

Which means it could go round the earth 7.49331238 times in a second
Ah right so if I was traveling at the speed of light, I could click my fingers or blink and be in Australia so I would +10 hours or so.

Mr.Sam
25-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I would like to point this out.

http://www.livescience.com/technology/070307_time_travel.html

In physics, time (http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/051028_brain_time.html) is described as a dimension much like length, width, and height. When you travel from your house to the grocery store, you’re traveling through a direction in space, making headway in all the spatial dimensions—length, width and height. But you’re also traveling forward in time (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/time_scitues_020430-1.html), the fourth dimension.
“Space and time are tangled together in a sort of a four-dimensional fabric called space-time (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/aas_blackhole_050110.html),” said Charles Liu, an astrophysicist with the City University of New York, College of Staten Island and co-author of the book “One Universe: At Home In The Cosmos.”
Space-time, Liu explains, can be thought of as a piece of spandex with four dimensions. “When something that has mass—you and I, an object, a planet (http://www.space.com/planets/), or any star (http://www.space.com/stars/)—sits in that piece of four-dimensional spandex, it causes it to create a dimple,” he said. “That dimple is a manifestation of space-time bending to accommodate this mass.”
The bending of space-time causes objects to move on a curved path and that curvature of space is what we know as gravity (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_041018.html).
Mathematically one can go backwards or forwards in the three spatial dimensions. But time doesn’t share this multi-directional freedom.
“In this four-dimensional space-time, you’re only able to move forward in time,” Liu told LiveScience.

Smiddy
25-04-2008, 11:12 PM
The thing is, surely if the human body travels faster than the speed of light, the human body would just crumble? I don't think it's been made strong enough for such drastic theories!

Although it would be cool.

ToxicPaddy
25-04-2008, 11:16 PM
The thing is, surely if the human body travels faster than the speed of light, the human body would just crumble? I don't think it's been made strong enough for such drastic theories!

Although it would be cool.

Yea we learnt in science that if a body travelled that fast it would burn completely.

lew!
26-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Not unless it was protected.
There are plenty of time travel machines already created, but they arnt powerfull, this one was build in 1988, and theyre just upgrading it like you would a computer.
All they have done now is upload the beam current (how many protons a beam can have)
This haydron collider just basicly smashes all the atoms together at such a force.
Pictures:
http://www.interactions.org/imagebank/images/CE0121M.jpg
(only part of the tunnel)

a simulation:
http://doc.cern.ch//archive/electronic/cern/others/PHO/photo-cms/gen/gen-2007-004.jpg

Decode
26-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Not unless it was protected.
There are plenty of time travel machines already created, but they arnt powerfull, this one was build in 1988, and theyre just upgrading it like you would a computer.
All they have done now is upload the beam current (how many protons a beam can have)
This haydron collider just basicly smashes all the atoms together at such a force.
Pictures:
http://www.interactions.org/imagebank/images/CE0121M.jpg
(only part of the tunnel)

a simulation:
http://doc.cern.ch//archive/electronic/cern/others/PHO/photo-cms/gen/gen-2007-004.jpg
I think the idea will work, but no human will ever be able to go into it.

Virgin Mary
26-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Anything that travels faster than the speed of light is converted into pure energy. And you can't travel backwards in time because the past has already happened. Travelling forwards isn't moving from one time period to another, it's speeding up time around you by moving faster.

GhostFace-
26-04-2008, 09:25 PM
i hope to timetravel in the future

bo$$
26-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't really want to find out... why meddle with something that should be kept well alone?? It's not about meddling with nature by straightening rivers to avoid floods causing a massive flood (Mississippi flood lmao learnt about it in geography)... it's the same thing but a bit more advanced...

Straight up. I think it's just one of those things that should be left alone and never thought about again.

Rixion
26-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I think this thread is Fairytale thread

I highly doubt time travelling will ever be possible..

If it is queue me up!

jackass
26-04-2008, 09:50 PM
I would love to beleive it could be.

But it will never be possible. Never.

Herman
27-04-2008, 02:01 PM
i was told by my physics teacher that if

two people were to have the exact same time on their watches and stood together at point A, and if one of them stayed at that point and the other were to take a bullet train and back to point A to meet up again, the time on their watch would not be the same.

i.e. the time of the watch of the person who took the bullet train would be much more forward.

i doubt it's news to most of you, but it was an interesting fact for me. time is a fascinating mystery. it could be possible to time-travel, but somehow seems like something beyond a human's control, and we should not temper with it.

lew!
27-04-2008, 03:28 PM
theres a thing aswell, the more closer to the ground you are, the faster time goes.

Technologic
27-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Most scientists agree that it is possible to go forwards in time but not backwards, unless somehow we managed to find a way of seeing the fourth dimension.

When in the 4th dimension you would see yourself as a baby and as a corpse at the same time as it is believed that the 4th dimension is time. But as time is linear you can always go forwards but not backwards, so in theory you could forwards as far and fast as you mlike but never backwards

stratosphere2
27-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I hope this time machine works. Then we'll know what will really happen in 2012.

Decode
27-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope this time machine works. Then we'll know what will really happen in 2012.
It would be nice if it did work, but i dont think this 2012 world ending thing is real. In 2000 the world was ment to end, then again in 2006 and now 2012. Its all just to scare people :P

lew!
27-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah, The 666 thing was actually a referral to a god whos name in numeracal value is 666 and nobody liked him, it wasnt really a devil.

And this god had something to do with 2012 (cant remember now) but yeah...

Decode
28-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Yeah, The 666 thing was actually a referral to a god whos name in numeracal value is 666 and nobody liked him, it wasnt really a devil.

That 666 thing (if it was true) should have happened in the year 6/6/0006 aswel then :)

cocaine
28-04-2008, 07:00 AM

I think the devils number is actually 616

Dippindonut1
28-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Doubt it would happen in our generation. Lets go freeze myself before I die incase they find a way to bring people alive again.....

Zak
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Some scientists belive that if an object travels faster than the speed of light, it will travel through time. Blasting particles faster than the speed of light is ment to make a worm hole which will allow objects to travel through.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Worm3.jpg

But is this true? How can something that has allready happened happen again?

Debate

Trouble with that is if we tryed to travel through time we would be destroyed

an object however? :P

-Xiangu-
07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
I do beleive it is possible

N!ck
07-05-2008, 03:05 PM
You are travelling forward in time bny one second every second :P.

The faster you travel the faster you move forwards in time. Astronaughts who have been in space for months on end are though to have travelled a few seconds forward in time as their uber accurate clocks that are with them in space are a few seconds ahead of the clocks back on earth.

I don't think it is possible to travel back in time. What has happened has happened. End of.

jackass
07-05-2008, 03:30 PM
You are travelling forward in time bny one second every second :P.

The faster you travel the faster you move forwards in time. Astronaughts who have been in space for months on end are though to have travelled a few seconds forward in time as their uber accurate clocks that are with them in space are a few seconds ahead of the clocks back on earth.

I don't think it is possible to travel back in time. What has happened has happened. End of.

It wouldn't change the clocks though. Clocks are man made, time isn't. :S

N!ck
07-05-2008, 03:34 PM
It wouldn't change the clocks though. Clocks are man made, time isn't. :S

I can't remember it exactly. Thinking about it they must have been a few seconds behhind for them to have travelled forwards. The clocks hadn't been changed. Time had just sped up for them due to their speed.

Purposeless
08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
1. I'd hate to be the guy who tries out the time machine if they start testing it on humans

2. If people can't travel back in time, how would someone get back from traveling forward in time?

-Xiangu-
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
1. I'd hate to be the guy who tries out the time machine if they start testing it on humans

2. If people can't travel back in time, how would someone get back from traveling forward in time?

you can go back to when the time machine is switched on.

You wouldn't be able to go to the time of the dinosaurs as the time machine wouldn't have been invented then.

If a time machine is switched on it would keep running until it is switched off therefore you could go back to the day it was turned on but not before then.

lew!
10-05-2008, 04:52 PM
That 666 thing (if it was true) should have happened in the year 6/6/0006 aswel then :)
Thats the thing, It wasnt a referral to a devil or anything bad, it was just a referral to a king.

I think the devils number is actually 616
O no, prepare for 6/6/2016!! loooool

Lycan
10-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Of couse we just require a car, a hoverboard and a flux capaciter

Zak
10-05-2008, 05:05 PM

You wouldn't be able to go to the time of the dinosaurs as the time machine wouldn't have been invented then.

If a time machine is switched on it would keep running until it is switched off therefore you could go back to the day it was turned on but not before then.

You know this how?

because you watched a youtube video & how do they actually know that this is true?

They don't.

e5
10-05-2008, 05:08 PM
There are particles rebounding off you all the time, you just can't tell. In fact, check this out:

When you sit down, you never actually sit down. You are hovering on rebounding particles coming from you and the chair!
You are also like 1 100,000th of a milimetre hovering off the ground from particles or something lol

lew!
10-05-2008, 05:27 PM
You know this how?

because you watched a youtube video & how do they actually know that this is true?

They don't.

actually because you would have nothing to go back to.. :rolleyes:
common sense.

Decode
10-05-2008, 07:54 PM

When is the time machine been switched on?

Florx
10-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Why not. A few years ago (maybe a bit more than that) we thought that we would die if we traveled at over 12mph.

Now we used to be able to go at MACH 2 (Twice speed of sound) and not die, in a conchord.

lew!
10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
You know this how?

They don't.

Why not. A few years ago (maybe a bit more than that) we thought that we would die if we traveled at over 12mph.

Now we used to be able to go at MACH 2 (Twice speed of sound) and not die, in a conchord.

exactly.. :p
We cant knock something until weve tried it.

-Xiangu-
10-05-2008, 11:49 PM
When is the time machine been switched on?

I don't beleive we have the capability of human time machines yet but a "Time machine" for particles to travel through over short distances of time is being switched on sometime this year.

Obviously if this experiment works then human time travel could be possible in the next 100 years.

Andys
11-05-2008, 12:12 AM
I beleive it will be possible some time in the future.
When they invent something that can go faster than the speed of light ;)

Hopeless
19-05-2008, 11:24 PM
only in peoples dreams

Hiro
20-05-2008, 01:29 PM
and there was of course John Titor who claimed to be from the future lol but a lot of his claims have been debunked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

I was gonna post that :P
I think it will be possible, just not in this life time..

Sulai
20-05-2008, 09:20 PM
lets not forget the terminator.... oh wait thats not real.

I dont think it will ever be possible, we are gaining new advances in sciene but very slowly, i doubt it will happen well not for the 10,000 years.

Redacted
20-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I've been to the future, Shame It was Australia.

Alexicles.
21-05-2008, 04:50 PM
I think that it could be possible eventually, I think Scientists still nedd more time though, it would be rubbish if they rushed things and missed the chance to do something amazing like this. :)

x

cdef503
22-05-2008, 07:39 AM
REMOVED

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!