PDA

View Full Version : Help - Home Web Server

Stephen!
26-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Okay. So I want to host my own website on my computer at home. I have Windows XP 64-bit and I would like to know what software I need, and also a quick guide on how to set everything up so it will appear on the internet.

Thanks in advanced. +REP.

mat64
26-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Something like xampp (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html)?

Klydo
26-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Wouldn't this only work if you left your computer on 24/7?

Dentafrice
26-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I would stuff using Windows XP if you are just going to be using it as a Home Web Server.

As if you are going to have a decent popular website, I would stick with a Linux solution, or maybe Windows Server 2003?

The Windows Server is easily torrented, and very easy to setup.

The Linux version is also free, easy to get, and easy to run.. and works quite well for the purpose you are doing.

If you really want to stick with Windows XP instead of an OS made for this :P, try XAMPP or WAMP ;)

Or you can just add them all yourself.

Apache, MySQL, PHP and any other features you would like.

You would also need a DNS server, as you are pointing your domain to your computer, BIND is a popular one.

A mailserver.

Stephen!
26-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Well it's not exactly for a website. I want to be able to access selected parts of my Hard drive VIA FTP from anywhere in the world.

Tomm
26-04-2008, 02:11 PM
If you are willing download Windows Server 2003 64 bit Edition. Also don't install something like xampp for hosting a public webiste as it is not designed for that. If you install Windows Server or XP Pro you can use IIS otherwise, or if you prefer, you can use Apache. PHP will run on both setups. You'll need to configure your router if you are behind a NAT firewall to portforward your external port 80 to the server on the LAN/WAN.

Just saw your post above. Just install a FTP server like pureftpd for Windows.

Dentafrice
26-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Then you really don't need a web server if you are going to just be able to access parts of your Hard Drive VIA FTP.

You would just need an FTP server, that has selected folders attached to it.

Agnostic Bear
26-04-2008, 02:14 PM
I would stuff using Windows XP if you are just going to be using it as a Home Web Server.

As if you are going to have a decent popular website, I would stick with a Linux solution, or maybe Windows Server 2003?

The Windows Server is easily torrented, and very easy to setup.

The Linux version is also free, easy to get, and easy to run.. and works quite well for the purpose you are doing.

If you really want to stick with Windows XP instead of an OS made for this :P, try XAMPP or WAMP ;)

Or you can just add them all yourself.

Apache, MySQL, PHP and any other features you would like.

You would also need a DNS server, as you are pointing your domain to your computer, BIND is a popular one.

A mailserver.

Windows XP x64 is built on the Windows Server 2003 core.

Stephen!
26-04-2008, 02:16 PM
So what program could I use for an FTP server?

Dentafrice
26-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Windows XP x64 is built on the Windows Server 2003 core.
* Windows XP 64-bit Edition for Itanium systems, Version 2002 — Based on Windows XP codebase, which was released in 2001
* Windows XP 64-bit Edition, Version 2003 — Based on Windows Server 2003 codebase, which added support for the Itanium 2 processor, was released on March 28, 2003. [18]

Those are the two versions released them, not all of them was based on the Server 2003 codebase.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition uses version 5.2.3790.1830 of core files, the same version used by Windows XP 64-bit Edition 2003 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 as they were the latest versions during the operating system's development.

SP1

Stephen!
26-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Okay i've downloaded pureFTPd, however i dont see anywhere where I can set it up

Hitman
26-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Just a note: Some ISP's state in their T&C's that they DON'T allow sites to be hosted through their connections, somebody I knew had their web terminated because of this.

Make sure it's secure too, you'd need your PC on 24/7 so that's another thing to think about, electricity bills :P!

Dentafrice
26-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Just a note: Some ISP's state in their T&C's that they DON'T allow sites to be hosted through their connections, somebody I knew had their web terminated because of this.

Make sure it's secure too, you'd need your PC on 24/7 so that's another thing to think about, electricity bills :P!
Dropcord to the neighbors outside electrical outlet :)

Hypertext
26-04-2008, 05:17 PM
LOL. :P

I read an article in PC world about using some free windows software to turn a computer into a web server. You would need it on 24/7 and unless your hosting more sites and have an income the costs are going to come up. Also maintenance, it'll be hard to keep up with it. But if you can pull it off, good luck!

off-topic: has anyone had any experience with Mac OSX server? I heard it was pretty good with XServe.

robclarke
27-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Ive Tryed the home webserver thing. It doesnt work out well unless you have a static IP address. My connection also has a crap upload limit so it made it useless really.

Protege
27-04-2008, 03:21 PM
In-order to have a good home server your upload needs to be a decent amount, if its for personal use like a little small website I think you could get away with it. For your problem with a static IP setup a DNS account with your router which will update it with a hostname, eg nicole.jamesrozee.com ;)

kreechin
27-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I've been running an apache server off my XP PC which is running PHP and MYSQL for years and I've never had any issues with it, it runs really well and it's not that hard to maintain

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!