PDA

View Full Version : Kovalainen "feeling well" after crash

Titch
28-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Heikki Kovalainen says he is “feeling well and in good spirits” just one day after his violent crash in the Spanish Grand Prix.

The 26-year-old Finn was kept in hospital overnight under observation and, after further tests and scans this morning (Monday) revealed no problems, is expected to be discharged this afternoon.

McLaren said Kovalainen will relax in Spain for the next few days before returning home to start a light training programme.

He will then need to pass the mandatory FIA medical inspection in order to compete in the Turkish GP on May 11.

“I have a slight headache and a stiff neck, but apart from that I am feeling well and in good spirits,” Kovalainen said.

“My focus is on getting better as soon as possible so I can pass the FIA medical inspection required to allow me to race in Turkey.”

Kovalainen crashed on lap 22 after his McLaren’s left-front tyre suddenly let go as he turned into the fifth-gear Campsa corner, pitching him off the road and into a tyre barrier.

McLaren revealed that Kovalainen was travelling at approximately 240kph (149mph) when the tyre deflated and about 130kph (81mph) when he hit the tyre wall. He experienced a 27G deceleration on impact.

The team has yet to establish what triggered the deflation, though it believes a stone or piece of debris may have wedged itself between the tyre and wheel rim.

“The team told me that the left-front wheel rim might have broken, which could have led to the sudden deflation of the tyre,” Kovalainen said.

“However we have to wait for further inspections to be able to confirm the exact cause.

“What is especially important is the fact that the monocoque withstood the heavy impact, so credit should also be given to everyone at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes for that.”

Kovalainen was briefly knocked out by the impact but had regained consciousness by the time he was taken by stretcher to the Circuit de Catalunya’s medical centre.

“I don’t remember anything from the accident or what happened afterwards,” he said, “but I would obviously like to thank all the circuit emergency staff, the FIA medical team at the track and the doctors at the hospital for all their efforts in looking after me.

“Also thank you for all the messages I have received – they all mean a lot.”

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!