PDA

View Full Version : Thought for new comers...

Lee
28-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Hey,

I was reading through some installation guides on the forum (Yes it was the stickied one by Jin,) and it was pointed out that Habbox started off with PHPBB, Now'a days if its not vBulletin nobodys joining. I mean is this really going to benefit any new sites. They are practically forced to purchase a software whitch could end up stored somewhere on your PC.

JustStyleDesign
28-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Well, no one forces anyone to buy vBulletin, MyBB is free and just as good as vBulletin.

Zenith
29-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey,

I was reading through some installation guides on the forum (Yes it was the stickied one by Jin,) and it was pointed out that Habbox started off with PHPBB, Now'a days if its not vBulletin nobodys joining. I mean is this really going to benefit any new sites. They are practically forced to purchase a software whitch could end up stored somewhere on your PC.

Many people these days judge websites on what forum software they use because they can tell how 'cheap', you could say, the website is and how much funding they got. It's turned into like a general stereotype now, if you have PHPBB you must have a cheap fansite.

Well, no one forces anyone to buy vBulletin, MyBB is free and just as good as vBulletin.

Isn't there some security issues with MyBB or something like that anyway?

Best Regards,
Chris.

ephasenetworks
29-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Where do you get the notion that anything running any other forum other than vBulletin is cheap? Thats a fallacy at best.

Its just a preference and ease of use.

Some prefer PHPBB and will stick by it. Others are just to used to vBulletin. You can't base the content quality just by what script its running.

Zenith
29-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Where do you get the notion that anything running any other forum other than vBulletin is cheap? Thats a fallacy at best.

Its just a preference and ease of use.

Some prefer PHPBB and will stick by it. Others are just to used to vBulletin. You can't base the content quality just by what script its running.

I am not saying that I do myself. I am saying that quite a few people do. vBulletin is generally the more premium choice but obvious there are other ones such as IPB that fall into the same category. All I was saying that it has stereotypically sometimes fallen into a 'cheap' category but mainly due to a lot of these PHPBB boards have cheap looking skins etc.

Best Regards,
Chris.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!