PDA

View Full Version : MMORPG

Fehm
02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Heyy :)

Just a little question..

What is the best coding language to code an MMORPG in...?

Lol

Eric30
03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't say there would be a 'best' language to make a MMORPG in.

It depends what you how you want to work.
If you want a web based one (Like Runescape) they use a Java Applet.

If you want to have a desktop program then you would need to learn something like C++.

You will need to make a server for everyone to connect too as well.

If you want a simple text based one, (the easiest to make) you can bash together some PHP.

Hope that helps

-Stu (AKA Eric)

Movieen
03-05-2008, 12:26 PM
As Eric said, a browser based, would be in Java,

But, a desktop program definitely C++, with a C# server. :)

Rafiki
03-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Lingo is good 2 supossly ?

Movieen
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Lingo is good 2 supossly ?

That's an MMOCC
Completely different.

Don't try and look smart.

Rafiki
03-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Lols i was just saying pmsl cuz mi mate said habbo use it :o

Movieen
03-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Lols i was just saying pmsl cuz mi mate said habbo use it :o

1. Learn to spell
2. Do not make excuses.
3. No-one cares about your post count.

L?KE
03-05-2008, 07:50 PM
1. Learn to spell
2. Do not make excuses.
3. No-one cares about your post count.

Hmm let's see. Spelling, fair enough. He was making excuses but for no need really because his first post was valid, and there was no need for your criticism. And he didn't mention his post count, he was just suggesting something - even if it was wrong.

Movieen
03-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Hmm let's see. Spelling, fair enough. He was making excuses but for no need really because his first post was valid, and there was no need for your criticism. And he didn't mention his post count, he was just suggesting something - even if it was wrong.

No, he was just posting for his post count,
He's admitted in another thread.

L?KE
03-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Well either way, he was still giving advice. My post was for my post count, I didn't need to post it did I?

:)

Rafiki
04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
No, he was just posting for his post count,
He's admitted in another thread.
Now little kiddy wheres the thread. Come on, i was not posting for post count at all, I was giveing my advice to him....

Also http://www.mmoccforum.com/ Have a look on there it can give you guides ect, To some codeing ect.

Joshuae
04-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Now little kiddy wheres the thread. Come on, i was not posting for post count at all, I was giveing my advice to him....

Also http://www.mmoccforum.com/ Have a look on there it can give you guides ect, To some codeing ect.

That site is useless for an MMORPG.

MrPinkPanther
04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Lingo most definatly can be used to make MMORPGs aswell as MMOCCs, just because you haven't heard of any doesn't mean they don't exist or it's impossible to do. All Lingo is is the programming language for Adobe Director (Shockwave), it actually has a large potential with regards to MMORPGs as a new version has just been released with powerful graphics capabilities.

Despite popular belief MMOCCforum is not just for MMOCCs (Although it is mainly catered towards these) but MMOs in general. The users there are fairly friendly and will help you out with your project if you outline it in your introductory posts so things like the Age range and what it's going to be about.

Joshuae
04-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Lingo most definatly can be used to make MMORPGs aswell as MMOCCs, just because you haven't heard of any doesn't mean they don't exist or it's impossible to do. All Lingo is is the programming language for Adobe Director (Shockwave), it actually has a large potential with regards to MMORPGs as a new version has just been released with powerful graphics capabilities.

Despite popular belief MMOCCforum is not just for MMOCCs (Although it is mainly catered towards these) but MMOs in general. The users there are fairly friendly and will help you out with your project if you outline it in your introductory posts so things like the Age range and what it's going to be about.

I'm not saying it isn't capable of, it's just unheard of.
It would be slated by the MMORPG critics, as it lacks the need for
"traditional" MMORPG programming which is C++.

As a game developer, I know this.

MMOCCForum Friendly? Maybe a few members, but people like Ozzie are stuck up idiots, who think they're the best.

MrPinkPanther
04-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm not saying it isn't capable of, it's just unheard of.
It would be slated by the MMORPG critics, as it lacks the need for
"traditional" MMORPG programming which is C++.

As a game developer, I know this.

MMOCCForum Friendly? Maybe a few members, but people like Ozzie are stuck up idiots, who think they're the best.
It isnt 'unheard of', Shockwave is an industry standard for the development of all online games. People could have said the same about Java pre-Runescape, the fact of the matter is you can develop a game in many languages just because its not popular doesn't mean it can't be done.

What's your username on MMOCCforum? I'm ozzie. I dont think I've ever upset anyone on it, if I have upset you somehow then I'm sorry.

Joshuae
04-05-2008, 09:04 AM
It isnt 'unheard of', Shockwave is an industry standard for the development of all online games. People could have said the same about Java pre-Runescape, the fact of the matter is you can develop a game in many languages just because its not popular doesn't mean it can't be done.

What's your username on MMOCCforum? I'm ozzie. I dont think I've ever upset anyone on it, if I have upset you somehow then I'm sorry.

I mean, for shockwave games, like 3Foot Ninjas or short platformers.

But a full on MMORPG, say comparing to Runescape? That IS unheard of.
There are certain languages to suit certain tasks.

I've browsed around MMOCCForum and seen your bad attitude quite a few times. But, that could've have had a 3rd party instagation.

MrPinkPanther
04-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Actually Lingo is a perfect language for MMOs in general, look what it can do:

Its browser based
It can support a large amount of concurrent users
Most pcs have shockwave installed
The latest version is largely developed for multiuser games
It can support high end graphics

I would say that its more supposed MMO wise than Java, its what Adobe developed it for, 3D games. They have Flash for 2D.

Joshuae
04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Actually Lingo is a perfect language for MMOs in general, look what it can do:
Its browser based
It can support a large amount of concurrent users
Most pcs have shockwave installed
The latest version is largely developed for multiuser games
It can support high end graphicsI would say that its more supposed MMO wise than Java, its what Adobe developed it for, 3D games. They have Flash for 2D.

But, 3D MMORPGs, are pretty much desktop.
Think, of the huge landscape, massive-multiplayer connections.
It'd have to run from C++ & C# Server.

- Do you have any experiance programming MMORPGs, Lingo, C++? Or programming at all? (Just a question)

MrPinkPanther
04-05-2008, 09:35 AM
But, 3D MMORPGs, are pretty much desktop.
Think, of the huge landscape, massive-multiplayer connections.
It'd have to run from C++ & C# Server.

- Do you have any experiance programming MMORPGs, Lingo, C++? Or programming at all? (Just a question)

You wouldn't have to run it on a desktop, if it was like WoW then yes obviously but it it's like Runescape maybe with a bit better graphics then you wouldn't have too. The thing is that there are already hundreds if not thousands of free desktop based MMOs on the Internet, some are actually really good but they tend to have few users. People are reluctant to download from a company they have never heard of. Unless you can make your business reputable or can publish and distribute the game on CD then online is you're only choice really.

Yes, when it comes to games especially multiuser I have extensive knowledge.

Sorry if my typing is bad but I'm doing it from my iPod touch.

Joshuae
04-05-2008, 09:40 AM
You wouldn't have to run it on a desktop, if it was like WoW then yes obviously but it it's like Runescape maybe with a bit better graphics then you wouldn't have too. The thing is that there are already hundreds if not thousands of free desktop based MMOs on the Internet, some are actually really good but they tend to have few users. People are reluctant to download from a company they have never heard of. Unless you can make your business reputable or can publish and distribute the game on CD then online is you're only choice really.

Yes, when it comes to games especially multiuser I have extensive knowledge.

Sorry if my typing is bad but I'm doing it from my iPod touch.

MMOCCs, have an entirely different base, to MMORPGs.
Really, you can't just study one, know the other.

MrPinkPanther
04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
MMOCCs, have an entirely different base, to MMORPGs.
Really, you can't just study one, know the other.

Not really. MMORPGs are just MMOCCs with a combat system. As far as I'm concerned MMOCC doesn't mean 2D, It doesn't mean isomeric, it means chatting community which is exactly what an MMORPG is with obviously an RPG system too.

Joshuae
04-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Not really. MMORPGs are just MMOCCs with a combat system. As far as I'm concerned MMOCC doesn't mean 2D, It doesn't mean isomeric, it means chatting community which is exactly what an MMORPG is with obviously an RPG system too.

George, Ozzie, whatever your name is.
I'm not being rude here, but read up on MMORPG development.
Please.

It is nothing the same of MMOCC.

MrPinkPanther
04-05-2008, 09:56 AM
George, Ozzie, whatever your name is.
I'm not being rude here, but read up on MMORPG development.
Please.

It is nothing the same of MMOCC.

Yes it is. Lets take the first major 3D MMOCC for example. If club tropica had say wizards and knights as characters and an RPG system people would call it an MMORPG. Coding wise the only difference is the RPG system.

Joshuae
04-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes it is. Lets take the first major 3D MMOCC for example. If club tropica had say wizards and knights as characters and an RPG system people would call it an MMORPG. Coding wise the only difference is the RPG system.

Clubtropica is 2.5. :)

& The RPG system changes everything from an MMOCC.
Dude, just read up.

MrPinkPanther
04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Clubtropica is 2.5. :)

& The RPG system changes everything from an MMOCC.
Dude, just read up.

Club tropica is 3D. My point is if you added an RPG system to club tropica then it would be an MMORPG, therefore your statement about the coding of them is wrong and I suggest you 'read it up'.

kickerbat
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
if you want to learn how to make a online game go to http://www.mmoccforum.com/ :)

@xP
12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Arn't they php? Jsva would be the best for starters.

Zak
13-05-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd say c++

craigg.
13-05-2008, 04:50 PM
If I personally was going to make an MMORPG I would use Lingo. I have knowledge of the program and since I don't know one MMORPG that has used it, I would do it for the status since 'offline' MMORPG's are C++, I would make an 'online' MMORPG with Lingo. As George has been saying, it is ideal for MMO's in general.

:Edzy
13-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Heyy :)

Just a little question..

What is the best coding language to code an MMORPG in...?

Lol

MMORPG

or

MMOCC?

Joshuae
13-05-2008, 05:39 PM
MMORPG

or

MMOCC?

It does say "MMORPG"

:Edzy
13-05-2008, 05:53 PM
It does say "MMORPG"

My Favourite MMORPGs are in PHP

George and I had one a while back :)

Joshuae
13-05-2008, 07:57 PM
My Favourite MMORPGs are in PHP

George and I had one a while back :)

That isn't an MMORPG, it's MMOTBRPG.
(Massively Multiplayer Text Based Roleplaying Game)

MrPinkPanther
13-05-2008, 09:07 PM
That isn't an MMORPG, it's MMOTBRPG.
(Massively Multiplayer Text Based Roleplaying Game)
Its still an MMORPG even if it is text based. Nowhere in MMORPG does it state it has to be avatar based.

Kieran
13-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I'd agree with the Lingo. If it hasn't been used before, thats even MORE reason to use it! To break away from the traditional portrayal of online MMORPGS, it's more likely to get you noticed.

MrPinkPanther
13-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Its not to get noticed its just its well supported and designed for exactly that. Anyway I know for a fact that MMORPGs are developed off of the same base as an MMOCC you work your way up [Note these can be done in a different order].
Server creation
'room creation'
Chat creation
Movement/Avatar creation

And then you would start coding the RPG system

Kieran
13-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Of course MMORPG's are based on MMOCC's. Why wouldn't they be. If you removed the RPG system from runescape, you've got the same base as Habbo use, just with different characters and items etc...

MrPinkPanther
13-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Of course MMORPG's are based on MMOCC's. Why wouldn't they be. If you removed the RPG system from runescape, you've got the same base as Habbo use, just with different characters and items etc...
Exactly, Josh is saying otherwise ;)

Kieran
13-05-2008, 09:22 PM
He's probably just trying to get post counts up =)

Joshuae
14-05-2008, 02:32 PM
He's probably just trying to get post counts up =)

You're an idiot, I'm just basically saying, yes you could do a RPG system onto a Lingo MMOCC, but it'd run much smoother with a different language ^^

Not trying to get my post count up. Imbecile.

Edited by jesus (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not insult other members.

MrPinkPanther
14-05-2008, 09:32 PM
You're an idiot, I'm just basically saying, yes you could do a RPG system onto a Lingo MMOCC, but it'd run much smoother with a different language ^^

Not trying to get my post count up. Imbecile.
Why would it be smoother, do you understand how RPG systems work?

Fehm
14-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Lol everyone, stop flaming other people. I started this thread to maybe gain a little kowledge of the world of MMORPG. and now i think i know what i needed to know :) Everyone starts from somewhere rite..?

Thanks alot. KnownSinner

Joshuae
15-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Lol everyone, stop flaming other people. I started this thread to maybe gain a little kowledge of the world of MMORPG. and now i think i know what i needed to know :) Everyone starts from somewhere rite..?

Thanks alot. KnownSinner

Why would it be smoother, do you understand how RPG systems work?

Yes, I program them.

When I've coded one with Lingo, then C++, it felt much more smoother in the small "game play" programmed in C++

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!