PDA

View Full Version : Setup Virgin Broadband Wireless

03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know if its possible to setup a wireless network on Virgin Broadband without the setup CD.
Basically, one of my relatives has virgin Broadband and a netgear router so it would be pointless to buy the Wireless kit for £40 when we have a perfectly good router already. But the kit comes with a CD to help setup the wireless connections. We have one desktop which has the netgear router connected to it but we want to make a new laptop wireless.

Is there anyway to do it without the CD or manually using the NetGear router settings.

I have AOL and have done all mine manually (as AOL cd's are evil). So im aware of how the Netgear router works.
Im going up tomoz to have a look so just wondered if anyone could help before i go. Thanks :D:D

Movieen
03-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Nope, you need the CD :p

Carello
03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
er, you don't need a cd to set up any network, just set it up manually.

Movieen
03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
er, you don't need a cd to set up any network, just set it up manually.

er, Yes you do.
As I tried it, I needed the CD ;)

Carello
03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
er, Yes you do.
As I tried it, I needed the CD ;)

er no you dont, as you can set up a wireless network on any ISP without the need for a cd.:rolleyes:

Movieen
03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
er no you dont, as you can set up a wireless network on any ISP without the need for a cd.:rolleyes:

For VM, You do.
I know by first hand experiance.

03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Well is there anyway of getting the CD or installation/setup without having to buy it for £40 from Virgin?
As obviously i dont need another router.

N!ck
03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
You can definately do it without a disk.

03-05-2008, 06:53 PM
You can definately do it without a disk.

So just manually configure it using the router settings?

When i did mine for AOL it was really simple i just searched for wireless devices, found my router and connected it too my laptop end of.

Do i just do the same for Virgin Media?

N!ck
03-05-2008, 06:58 PM
I found this on the internet. Th instructions are for a Linksys router, so it should be similar for an Netgear, just different IP to access it and different default password maybe.

1. Disconnect the modem from the router first, and connect the PC to the port one of the router then restart it. (This PC should be the one that can get online if directly connected to the modem)

2. Go to your desktop and double click on Internet Browser.

3. When browser opens, type 192.168.1.1 into the "Address" bar and click on Go.

4. The log-in window will appear.

5. Skip user name and type “admin” (admin is the default password) as the password, and click OK.

6. On the Setup page, please make sure that the Internet Connection Type is set to “Automatic Configuration – DHCP” or “Obtain an IP automatically”, then hit on Save Settings below.

7. Under the Setup tab, click on the MAC Address Clone sub tab and click on "Clone your PC's MAC" button, then save the settings.

8. Please go back to “Basic Setup”, then change the LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1, and then hit on Save Settings below. Don’t worry if the page will hang or lock up.

9. Shut down everything for 2 minutes.

10. Connect the modem to the Internet port of the router and power on. (Starting from the modem then the router and lastly your PC).

I hope this will help.

Movieen
03-05-2008, 07:01 PM
You can't Nick, I tried it through that, I need the disk. XD

N!ck
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Well you're an abnormal case then ;).

03-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I found this on the internet. Th instructions are for a Linksys router, so it should be similar for an Netgear, just different IP to access it and different default password maybe.

Is this not just too setup the router on a main desktop? Ive already got that, im looking to now make a laptop wireless.
Ta :D:D

Independent
03-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't think that you can use ethernet and wireless together, I mean at the same time.

03-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Im not trying too.
I want to make a laptop wireless.
I have one desktop with a netgear 'wireless' router which is on Virgin broadband.
I want to now connect the laptop wirelessly.

N!ck
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Im not trying too.
I want to make a laptop wireless.
I have one desktop with a netgear 'wireless' router which is on Virgin broadband.
I want to now connect the laptop wirelessly.

By the looks of things to plug the VM modem's ethernet port into the WAN socket on the router and then you're pretty much away.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!