PDA

View Full Version : Odea ~ Trojan and Downloader!

Ardemax
08-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Ok, basiclly my Internet Security (Norton 2008) picked up a Trojan Horse and a Downloader. However, it is advising me to remove it, yet I can't.
I'm really scared because it's not my computer and I downloaded something which contained both of them.
I need something that will get rid of it, seeing how Norton says "Removal Failed".
Help please?

Stephen!
08-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Use another anti-virus.

Ardemax
08-05-2008, 03:28 PM
I can't buy another, parents won't let me lol.

myke
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Try AVAST! :)

MissAlice
08-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Try www.trendmicro.com its free, good luck!

iFuseDan
08-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Restart your computer in safe mode and run a full scan when doing so - due to the way safe mode starts the trojan will not be running so should be detectable and removable by the scan - unless your AV is compromised that is.

Decode
08-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Get one of those programs that removes the file when the computer starts up.

Kevin
08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
AVG antivirus pwns. theve just relesed the free version of 8.0.

This includes anti virus + anti spyware

One of the best you'll find

-Kevin

StefanCampbell
08-05-2008, 05:14 PM
ESET Smart Security, Click HERE (http://9down.com/ESET-Smart-Security-3-0-650-23928/)..

Better than AVG.

N!ck
08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Having Norton is the problem. If buying a different anti-virus is a problem use a free one like avast!.

Ardemax
08-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok, I'll think I'll use AVG.
But, is it safe to go on Habbo?

08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Typical norton lol...

and yes it should be safe to go on habbo - it's a trojan not a keylogger

lewissmiffy
08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Typical norton lol...

and yes it should be safe to go on habbo - it's a trojan not a keylogger

lol trojans can contain keyloggers aswell

Ardemax
09-05-2008, 07:00 PM
lol trojans can contain keyloggers aswell

serisously? ok, that's got me scared.
EDIT: The thing is, i deleted the file once i had downloaded it and i thought it was gone lol, until norton found it again. however, i don't know where it is seeing how i deleted the file it came in. help on that aswell?

Danzilla
09-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I personly think Avast is one of the best, picks up on things Nortans dosn't and its free. Not only that Nortans can slow your computer down more then a virus would. ;P
But if i was you, ill use Avast. :]

Wig44.
09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Depending on what it was that contained the trojan, e.g something labeled 'Throne Scripter' will tell you whether or not it is safe to log on to habbo. If it wasn't something to do with cheating on habbo or similar games it will be safe to log on as they won't be after habbo furni.

As someone vaguely described earlier, you want something that can do a boot scan, so before anything has a chance to load e.g, the trojan can load and hide its self the anti virus starts a scan and nails it. Avast! offers this feature, google it and download it. Point your browser to www.siteadvisor.com (http://www.siteadvisor.com) and download it. It tells you all about the website you are browsing, or on google it puts a tick, exclamation mark (warning) or cross next to each URL that shows up. You will see what I mean when you download it but it will keep you (most of the time) well informed about the website and whether or not you should download or even visit thesite. Users can regiser an account and comment on the website and can say what is good/bad and whether mcafee rated this site correctly. This is free btw ;).

Also missalice suggested trendmicro, use that it is an online scanner and most crimeware cannot detect it at work so it is quite successful. When you get the chance to buy a new AV/Internet security suite, go Kaspersky imo. Before you can buy a new set of software though I would immediately start using Avast! Over norton.

Purposeless
09-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Depending on what it was that contained the trojan, e.g something labeled 'Throne Scripter' will tell you whether or not it is safe to log on to habbo. If it wasn't something to do with cheating on habbo or similar games it will be safe to log on as they won't be after habbo furni.

As someone vaguely described earlier, you want something that can do a boot scan, so before anything has a chance to load e.g, the trojan can load and hide its self the anti virus starts a scan and nails it. Avast! offers this feature, google it and download it. Point your browser to www.siteadvisor.com (http://www.siteadvisor.com) and download it. It tells you all about the website you are browsing, or on google it puts a tick, exclamation mark (warning) or cross next to each URL that shows up. You will see what I mean when you download it but it will keep you (most of the time) well informed about the website and whether or not you should download or even visit thesite. Users can regiser an account and comment on the website and can say what is good/bad and whether mcafee rated this site correctly. This is free btw ;).

Also missalice suggested trendmicro, use that it is an online scanner and most crimeware cannot detect it at work so it is quite successful. When you get the chance to buy a new AV/Internet security suite, go Kaspersky imo. Before you can buy a new set of software though I would immediately start using Avast! Over norton.

How do you know they won't be after habbo furni?

Just because its habbo isn't gonna stop them if it does contain a keylogger

Someone sees a password and username and sees that they just visited habbo uk. What you think they are gonna do? They are gonna try to 'own' them as much as possible by going on all sites they visit which they got the password to.

Also most trojans contain keyloggers so its high possibilty that it does contain one.
----------
@Yeski

Is there any chance you can post name of the trojan signature that got picked up?

Wig44.
10-05-2008, 11:20 AM

Someone sees a password and username and sees that they just visited habbo uk. What you think they are gonna do? They are gonna try to 'own' them as much as possible by going on all sites they visit which they got the password to.

Also most trojans contain keyloggers so its high possibilty that it does contain one.
----------
@Yeski

Is there any chance you can post name of the trojan signature that got picked up?

there is a high chance it will just get ignored actually. You are just assuming the person planted the trojan in the file to own people. I stand by what I said. The nature of the file downloaded and what it claimed it could do will affect what details the person wanted. It may not contain a keylogger, it might be that the computer is being used in a zombie network, the person who spread the trojan could be after some kind of DoS or DDoS attack using his zombie network and not passwords at all. Or, he could be after both :P

shizzle
10-05-2008, 11:31 AM
AVG 8.0 ftw!!

Purposeless
10-05-2008, 12:12 PM
there is a high chance it will just get ignored actually. You are just assuming the person planted the trojan in the file to own people. I stand by what I said. The nature of the file downloaded and what it claimed it could do will affect what details the person wanted. It may not contain a keylogger, it might be that the computer is being used in a zombie network, the person who spread the trojan could be after some kind of DoS or DDoS attack using his zombie network and not passwords at all. Or, he could be after both :P

If his computer is being used in a botnet then theres still a very high possibility that the trojan has everything a normal trojan has.

also lot of botnet servers have cd-key stealers which search through your registry etc fishing out cd-keys for games, programs etc

Ardemax
10-05-2008, 01:01 PM

Wow. That's brill adivce, +rep!

----------
@Yeski

Umm, lemme find the 2 viruses names, and, I'll take a screeny...
Ok, this is what Norton has got for the "Downloader" in the "Unresolved Security Risks":
http://i29.tinypic.com/ir6f46.png
And this is the "Trojan.Horse":
http://i28.tinypic.com/eba3jd.png

But, I deleted the file they came in, yet it didn't delete the two viruses, now I don't know where I'm meant to search to delete it.
I spoke to one of the people at Norton and they said they'll remove them for £70!!
Help, again please?

Wig44.
10-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Wow. That's brill adivce, +rep!

Umm, lemme find the 2 viruses names, and, I'll take a screeny...
Ok, this is what Norton has got for the "Downloader" in the "Unresolved Security Risks":
http://i29.tinypic.com/ir6f46.png
And this is the "Trojan.Horse":
http://i28.tinypic.com/eba3jd.png

But, I deleted the file they came in, yet it didn't delete the two viruses, now I don't know where I'm meant to search to delete it.
I spoke to one of the people at Norton and they said they'll remove them for £70!!
Help, again please?

£70? :O Don't do it :P
Disable norton and get avast, I guess you wont be able to uninstall it if it isn't your computer. I have yet to find a virus that can stop Avast!. It is solid.

Ardemax
11-05-2008, 07:29 AM
£70? :O Don't do it :P
Disable norton and get avast, I guess you wont be able to uninstall it if it isn't your computer. I have yet to find a virus that can stop Avast!. It is solid.

I've downloaded Avast! and scanned the folders and everything I could, nothing came up. But it shows the 2 viruses still in Norton's "Unresolved Security Risks"

Wig44.
11-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I've downloaded Avast! and scanned the folders and everything I could, nothing came up. But it shows the 2 viruses still in Norton's "Unresolved Security Risks"

Strange... Downloaded all the updates for it too?
EDIT: Just remembered, have you done a bootscan yet?

Purposeless
11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
LOl at avast coming up with nothing

Ardemax
12-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Strange... Downloaded all the updates for it too?
EDIT: Just remembered, have you done a bootscan yet?

Yes, but my cat walked on the keyboard whilst doing it and put its paw on ESC. And now I can't find where the boot scan button is. :(

LOl at avast coming up with nothing

Why? Does it usually?

Purposeless
12-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Not all avs can detect the same thing and it seems nortan detected something which avast didn't.. Try another av maybe? AVG?

Ardemax
14-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Not all avs can detect the same thing and it seems nortan detected something which avast didn't.. Try another av maybe? AVG?

Na, AVG didn't detect anything.
Do you know how to boot scan on Avast!?

Purposeless
14-05-2008, 03:31 PM
No because tbh I don't like Avast!

Kaspersky does its job for me

Ardemax
15-05-2008, 03:20 PM
No because tbh I don't like Avast!

Kaspersky does its job for me

ok, but I've already downloaded 2 programmes, I don't wanna bother with 3. lol.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!