PDA

View Full Version : New Computer - Internet

DarrenToogood
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey,

I built my computer day, and all went well. The system works perfectly, that is... until I installed Vista. I installed XP, played around for a bit, and tried to install my Wireless USB Adapter to connect to my router, for the Internet. It kind of worked, a signal was made, however a little bit dodgy, I think it was just getting used to the signal.

About a month ago I downloaded a dodgy copy of Vista Ultimate, burned it to disk and hoped for the best. I inserted this while on the XP desktop, and installed. It overwrote the XP, and installed Vista. Everything was fine until I tried to install my Netgear software, to search for my router - it would not work and closed down everytime I opened it. The USB Adapter was not working, therefore I plugged an ethernet cable in and that did not work.

Now I assume this is all because of this Vista, seeing as it worked fine on XP. Please could someone reassure me that if I went and bought Vista LEGALLY, I would be able to connect it to my network using my Netgear USB Adapter to my BT Home Hub?

I am now reinstalling XP, and hope it will all work. The system works fine, just the OS letting me down at the moment!

N!ck
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Have you installed an x64 version of Vista as this maybe what is causing your wireless problem. About the ethernet: did you install the disc that came with the motherboard after you set up Vista?

DarrenToogood
10-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah it was 64 bit of Vista.

Also nope, the only disk that came I THINK was one including Direct X and a Norton package.

Kieran
10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Are you installing a Vista driver? And are you installing an x64 driver?

Look on the netgear site and check you're installing the right one =)

Wig44.
11-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Netgear...
They have drivers on their website that SHOULD make their adapters work with vista, but they haven't for me and a few other I know. Even though I have a Netgear wireless router, I don't need a netgear wireless adapter to connect to it and I have a linksys adapter which is perfect with vista and has never disconnected from the internet since I got it whereas my netgear adapter disconnected every few minutes.

Whatever your problem with netgear, first try downloading vista drivers, if that doesn't work get a linksys wreless adapter.

N!ck
11-05-2008, 07:51 AM
There will have been a disc that came with the board containg drivers for things like the integrated sound ;).

DarrenToogood
11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
I have reverted back to XP now, I can't be bothered with Vista at the moment. I think if I do get Vista, I will get it legally.

I am loving my new specifications:

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/8099/specsto5.png

Wig44.
18-05-2008, 12:54 PM
I have reverted back to XP now, I can't be bothered with Vista at the moment. I think if I do get Vista, I will get it legally.

I am loving my new specifications:

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/8099/specsto5.png

Yeah, XP is the way to go at the moment I think. Vista reduces the frame rates on games by around 20 fps in my experience

Dentafrice
18-05-2008, 01:09 PM
I personally like Vista better then XP now, I thought I wouldn't.

Vista Ultimate seems to work fine for me :) I haven't had one problem.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!