PDA

View Full Version : Macbook vs. iMac

Hypertext
11-05-2008, 01:48 AM
A few questions:

First of all is it better to get the refurbished versions or use an educational discount (They're not stackable /cry).

Also, I'm getting both but cannot currently afford both without selling my PC. What would you recommend as a priority, an iMac or a MacBook.

Recursion
11-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Okay, Refurbs are generally fine and cost a lot less, for a MacBook educational discounts get about £60 off. Refurbs will get you a better deal.

The priority depends on what your going to use it for, imo the MacBook should be the first one

Hayd93
11-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Okay, Refurbs are generally fine and cost a lot less, for a MacBook educational discounts get about £60 off. Refurbs will get you a better deal.

The priority depends on what your going to use it for, imo the MacBook should be the first one
Tom is right, My mate has a referb macbook and you could tell no differnace i think it had a tiny scratch on the bottom. If i were you i would go with the macbook first

xxMATTGxx
11-05-2008, 08:48 AM
As the others have said. Go with the macbook first, and if you think you need more etc. Then finally go up to an iMac. But most Apple users keep both anyway. :)

Hayd93
11-05-2008, 09:03 AM
As the others have said. Go with the macbook first, and if you think you need more etc. Then finally go up to an iMac. But most Apple users keep both anyway. :)
Yep, If i had the cash a mac pro with a 30" would be here right away. I would always go for mac again.

Klydo
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Yep, If i had the cash a mac pro with a 30" would be here right away. I would always go for mac again.
He would be wasting thousands buying a Mac Pro as he has no use for it's power. To use a Mac Pro in an efficent and productive manner your name has to be Steven Spielberg.

I would say do what I did. I purchase a basic MacBook for £699 then spent a week or so using it and getting used to it as a new operating system. I then went back and purchased a middle of the range iMac which meant I could then replace my PC. You should also buy the laptop first if you're planning on selling a PC to get a replacement. This way you will still have access to the internet and your work if you have any.

xxMATTGxx
11-05-2008, 10:45 AM
He would be wasting thousands buying a Mac Pro as he has no use for it's power. To use a Mac Pro in an efficent and productive manner your name has to be Steven Spielberg.

I would say do what I did. I purchase a basic MacBook for £699 then spent a week or so using it and getting used to it as a new operating system. I then went back and purchased a middle of the range iMac which meant I could then replace my PC. You should also buy the laptop first if you're planning on selling a PC to get a replacement. This way you will still have access to the internet and your work if you have any.

He never said to him to buy one, he was saying if he had the cash thats what he would do. Oh and all that power rubbish, you try and tell that to people on MR. :P

Liberation
11-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I also purchased a Macbook firstly before anything else, and I can say it was a good decision :] Obviously being able to move it around to wherever is a great advantage. We also have an iMac in the family and personally I find the MacBook is better due to the portability of it all etc, although the iMac is still damn amazing :P

I also guess it depends on what you will be using it for. School work etc I would recccomend the Macbook, but I guess it depends on your needs.

Whatever you purchase you certainly will not be dissapointed ;)

Klydo
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
He never said to him to buy one, he was saying if he had the cash thats what he would do. Oh and all that power rubbish, you try and tell that to people on MR. :P
No one needs that power unless you're working in large files such as movies, music or photography. Things such as web design don't need it especially at a low level.

xxMATTGxx
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
No one needs that power unless you're working in large files such as movies, music or photography. Things such as web design don't need it especially at a low level.

The people I talk to and have mac pros do videos and web design mostly.

Hayd93
11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I would use a mac pro for multitrack recoding. Dont even tell me that dont need loads when you have protools going with about 10 tracks lasting about 2 hours that puts strain on the macbooks ect. Also even small video producers would find it useful as on final cut videos render 10x quicker.

Hypertext
11-05-2008, 04:31 PM

1. Finally someone agrees you have to be video rendering or a scientist for any use of a Mac Pro! Amen!
2. That sounds pretty good. Thanks for the heads up.
3. I've heard a MacBook is fine for professional web design; a mac pro is a perfect example of consumerism. Hardlyn anybody needs it. My friend a video editor wants one, thats a respectable choice as he does HD video rendering, he went to Rhode Island Uni of Design, they had 10 mac pros as a render farm. Lol.
4. Ok I'm going to buy the MacBook first, and then an iMac once I can afford it too, and so on.
5. I believe final cut pro will only work on a MacBook Pro, I think the gfx in a macbook doesn't let it do that. Oh well the only thing I'd be using it for are video blogs on youtube. And they perform pretty well at that.

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming!

ToxicPaddy
11-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a MacBook, typing from it right now. I remember when I had to pick between macbook and imac, and the macbook was defiantly the best decision. I'm on Tiger but hoping to upgrade to leopard soon.

Joshuae
11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
1. Finally someone agrees you have to be video rendering or a scientist for any use of a Mac Pro! Amen!
2. That sounds pretty good. Thanks for the heads up.
3. I've heard a MacBook is fine for professional web design; a mac pro is a perfect example of consumerism. Hardlyn anybody needs it. My friend a video editor wants one, thats a respectable choice as he does HD video rendering, he went to Rhode Island Uni of Design, they had 10 mac pros as a render farm. Lol.
4. Ok I'm going to buy the MacBook first, and then an iMac once I can afford it too, and so on.
5. I believe final cut pro will only work on a MacBook Pro, I think the gfx in a macbook doesn't let it do that. Oh well the only thing I'd be using it for are video blogs on youtube. And they perform pretty well at that.

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming!

You have no idea.
Mac Pros are only that expensive due to their server typed parts.
They're the best solution for professional work, such as video editing, web design, animation.

I'm working off a Mac Pro now, it works perfectly for 3d rendering also.

So Charles, do not talk about what you do not know.

Hypertext
11-05-2008, 04:57 PM
As I said Josh, animation, and video editing, but not web design; web design will work with an iMac and pro work? what type of pro work?

Joshuae
11-05-2008, 05:29 PM
As I said Josh, animation, and video editing, but not web design; web design will work with an iMac and pro work? what type of pro work?

You might have me mixed up with a different Josh.
But I do a lot of 3d rendering and programming.

Trust me. Mac Pros suit all design work.

Hypertext
11-05-2008, 06:15 PM
3d rendering - ok, programming - i think not. It's basically word processing and then testing it out. Presuming you have a live test server, which I do.

xxMATTGxx
11-05-2008, 07:29 PM
To be honest I know a person who has a Mac Pro and hardly does any design or video editing etc etc at all.

Joshuae
15-05-2008, 04:43 PM
3d rendering - ok, programming - i think not. It's basically word processing and then testing it out. Presuming you have a live test server, which I do.

Not, exactly as you'd be using 3D Models, (as an assumption), and you wouldn't need a live test server, as for instance, how would, SP games work off your PC?

To be honest I know a person who has a Mac Pro and hardly does any design or video editing etc etc at all.

That's him then, really, the director of the macs, admitted in an interview the Mac Pros, were really made for such "high quality" tasks.

Hypertext
15-05-2008, 08:24 PM
My moms friend's house is like work inside, inside she has:
Basement: 3 MP's, 12 MB's, 7 iMacs
Second Floor: 5 iMacs
Top Floor: 3 iMacs, 2 MB's, 1 MB Pro.

Keep in mind this woman runs a voice over company. This is her house!!! It's amazing.. I was immersed, as you can imagine. Btw, they run protools.

DaveTaylor
15-05-2008, 10:05 PM
my dad has a mac pro, and he needs it for his work as he has to render A3 size bowtie sheets etc

http://www.sarp.com.au/images/diagram.bowtie.2.gif
small example

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!