PDA

View Full Version : GCSE I.T

Con
17-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Basically I now have the chance to change my options from what i originally chose.

I have been thinking for a while and I wanted to change History to GCSE I.T

If anyone has took/is taking this.
Can you tell me the sorts of things you do during the 2 years?

splatttt
17-05-2008, 03:18 PM
my friend took ICT and shes just finishing it this year cos Exams are soon
its very hard to pass the second coursework
only 2 people in her class passed the rest of people failed it.
she and 1 other made it with A*
i hear the course is really good, but coursework is really hard ;)
x

Con
17-05-2008, 03:20 PM
x

o dear.
Ok. thanks for the information :eusa_wall

Anyone else with comments?

dirrty
17-05-2008, 03:20 PM
eurgh its so boring. ive finished the course now (done exams & c.w), and i wish i never picked it. so much written work. ive never done so many pages for c.w in ma life.

Mirkwood
17-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Generally you will learn about the effect of ICT on the real-world, such as businesses, other countries and so on. The other thing that you will learn is how to use the Microsoft Office package to a very basic degree.

Con
17-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Generally you will learn about the effect of ICT on the real-world, such as businesses, other countries and so on. The other thing that you will learn is how to use the Microsoft Office package to a very basic degree.

eurgh its so boring. ive finished the course now (done exams & c.w), and i wish i never picked it. so much written work. ive never done so many pages for c.w in ma life.

Ah. Ok then.
I wnated to choose it to learn about web designing and stuff...
I guess i won't be dooing it now :(

Xeck
17-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I loved ICT! I got an A, and passed all my coursework. It was my favourite subject, the people I did it with and the teachers I had made it awesome. Was never boring. :) Some lessons instead of doing work we just messed about with the teacher knowing really. Would love to still have a lesson like it. I took both history and ICT and found ICT a little bit better. Got an A in both. :]

Blue
17-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Depends what course you do. For example I'm doing OCR nationals, and thats purely coursework for 2 years :P its really easy imo

Soy
17-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Personally i have found It a very easy subject so far, i have one year left of doing it
there's no doubt in my mind that i will get an A*

benjamin
17-05-2008, 06:23 PM
it is incredibly easy lol

-Liam
17-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I have taken an ICT Diploma for 2 options, which is worth 6 GCSES + the 1 GCSE compulsary ICT GCSE. I've also chosen History and German. I hear ICT is easy though. My school has a compulsary ICT GCSE though, don't all English schools?

brandon
17-05-2008, 06:30 PM
In my school we produce a portfolio over the two years, and that is our GCSE.
Not sure how your school does it.

Con
17-05-2008, 06:57 PM
I have taken an ICT Diploma for 2 options, which is worth 6 GCSES + the 1 GCSE compulsary ICT GCSE. I've also chosen History and German. I hear ICT is easy though. My school has a compulsary ICT GCSE though, don't all English schools?

Not cumpolsury.

Hmm, Thanks everyone for all the feedback.
I will think about it over the next few days/weeks up until the meeting.
+REP to all the decent feedback responses i got.

Jordy
17-05-2008, 08:56 PM
My school has a GCSE Short-course (Worth half a GCSE) that is compulsory, 1 lesson a week on it in Years 10 and 11.

I've taken the fast-track IT though which takes up two GCSE Option blocks, you complete the GCSE in Y10 and do AS in Y11. 5 IT Lessons a week, looking forward to it :P

Does the course focus on much Microsoft Office as I'm reasonably confident in most sections of IT other than Office which lets me down so I'd like to learn it.

Meanies
17-05-2008, 09:13 PM
I found it rather easy.

We spent the two years doing just coursework, with 5 different teachers. Well actually, we took 5/6 lessons out of that for the 5hour timed practical and thats it. We've had about 2 lessons on theory, which ran through the whole syllabus in 1 lesson. The coursework is lengthy, but once you know what you're doing its pretty simple. We did a whole project on a hotel improving it's ICT systems. The timed practical was about 'HobbynCrafts' which we could make a website, database, spreadsheet or some other stuff. The exam is also on the topic of 'HobbynCrafts'. The key skills exam is just multiple choice questions, which we did in year 10. I'm predicted an A*, getting an a* in coursework, a* in timed practical, an a in key skills exam and an a in the theory exam mock. Not got the proper exam until sometime next week but I always find them pretty easy.

So yeah, the course is pretty simple and enjoyable :) We just mucked about for most of the lessons :P

Eamonn
17-05-2008, 10:20 PM
do ict it is well easy to get a good grade, i already have a C just from the coursework, so it is that easy to pass.

Zak
18-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Basically I now have the chance to change my options from what i originally chose.

I have been thinking for a while and I wanted to change History to GCSE I.T

If anyone has took/is taking this.
Can you tell me the sorts of things you do during the 2 years?

GCSE ICT is very basic

If your looking for a challenge, don't choose it lol.

Barmi
18-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Ah. Ok then.
I wnated to choose it to learn about web designing and stuff...
I guess i won't be dooing it now :(
You will probably get the chance to create a website for your imaginary clients as part of the course, but in my experience ICT teachers are so inept at web design that you're better off self-teaching.

The course itself is easy... in addition to the standard short-course coursework, there is a second project which may involve a more complex database. My IT teacher had no clue and I was the only one in my class doing full course, so the teacher of the other class had to point me the right way.

Pretty much everything is done in Microsoft Office, though you will get away with whatever you are most comfortable with for the website...

Oh and if you are doing the full-course, be prepared to do a LOT of paperwork. As I have said the course itself is easy, but you must screenshot virtually every step you take and document it with comments (idiot proof style) before handing in the portfolio.

Blinger1
18-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Come to Australia, and do the Software Development course in units 3+4.. that is pretty sweet!

Davii
18-05-2008, 09:45 PM
dont do ict, in the first year i found it like really easy but with the last piece of coursework we barely had any time to do it and then left us no time to revise for the exam - ive got to learn everything i can about ict by myself :(

Barmi
19-05-2008, 07:10 AM
dont do ict, in the first year i found it like really easy but with the last piece of coursework we barely had any time to do it and then left us no time to revise for the exam - ive got to learn everything i can about ict by myself :(
The exam isn't particularly difficult though? The majority of it is common sense, which admittedly may not be as common as it should be.

jackass
19-05-2008, 04:43 PM
x

Firstly, you can't get an A* with GCSE IT, an A is the maximum you can get. And secondly, I took it, and its really easy!

Jinxey
19-05-2008, 05:41 PM
x

Rubbish... Coursework is easy and pratical is easy, has to be the easiest GCSE ever.

Technologic
19-05-2008, 05:47 PM
DO NOT PICK ICT, possibly the stupidest mistake i have ever made. So much damned coursework

kk.
19-05-2008, 05:54 PM
as people have said, ICT (when i did it) was 40% coursework. In my project which was about a B was about 120 pages.

hmm, if you want to learn about Web designing and stuff i suggest waiting until A Levels and taking a course at a college that offers the option. I cant remember what the course is called but oh just have a look around

Mitch4?
19-05-2008, 05:57 PM
ict is so much fun :]
yeah it's alot of coursework
but i never really had to go back to finish it cause you can do it in the lessons easily if you don't chat all lesson. I talked for half of my lesson time and i still finished with A* in year 10 and my year 11 work is ungraded as of yet.
60% coursework 40% test.

my test is tomorrow, yikes! :]
the boundaries are low too, its only like 70% for an A :D

Titch
19-05-2008, 06:51 PM
DAM! i got this tomorrow :(

Technologic
19-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Maybe i find it more work because it's an extra thign for me. Outside the normal timetable, thursday afterschool and wednesday lunch on top of all my other work. there's only 20/1000 people doing it as we all got picked

jackass
19-05-2008, 08:07 PM
ict is so much fun :]
yeah it's alot of coursework
but i never really had to go back to finish it cause you can do it in the lessons easily if you don't chat all lesson. I talked for half of my lesson time and i still finished with A* in year 10 and my year 11 work is ungraded as of yet.
60% coursework 40% test.

my test is tomorrow, yikes! :]
the boundaries are low too, its only like 70% for an A :D

Stop lying, you can't get an A* in IT. :rolleyes:

Born_To_Live
19-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I Took both.

I Recommend ICT

Trayan
20-05-2008, 06:48 AM
I took ICT and i find it quite easy really. I finished my coursework with A* and im hoping to do just as good in the exam .

jackass
20-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I took ICT and i find it quite easy really. I finished my coursework with A* and im hoping to do just as good in the exam .

Why the hell is everyone in this thread lying!?

YOU CANNOT GET AN A* IN GCSE IT!

Mitch4?
20-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Stop lying, you can't get an A* in IT. :rolleyes:

Yes you can... rofl.
might not on the exam board you have, but they do on ours.

umg exam was super hard, i couldn't do it. All the exam papers i did before going in were so much easier, then this one was like WTH MAYTE?!
oh well.

jackass
20-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes you can... rofl.

umg exam was super hard, i couldn't do it. All the exam papers i did before going in were so much easier, then this one was like WTH MAYTE?!
oh well.

What GCSE course are/were you on (Like AQA etc.)?

Because as far as i'm aware, you can't get an A* in any course, seeing as the maximum you can get for GCSE is distinction, which is the same as an A. Then in A-Levels and above, the highest is an A16, which isn't an A*.

Trayan
20-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Why the hell is everyone in this thread lying!?

YOU CANNOT GET AN A* IN GCSE IT!
Yes you can get an A* in GCSE IT.

Puma!
20-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Did this - 'Zest for life' wasn't it?

Redacted
20-05-2008, 03:57 PM
ICT, Is susposedly really hard!

jackass
20-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes you can get an A* in GCSE IT.

No, you can't.

kk.
20-05-2008, 05:00 PM
im pretty sure i was able to get an A* in mine :S
as previously said, it might be the exam board

If short course can get it.. http://www.klbschool.org.uk/ict/gcse/coursework/index.htm (EDIT: oh wait its at the bottom)

Fifteen
20-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I done it last year, the OCR one, was basically 3 pieces of coursework
Had to create a magazine for a specific target audience
A spread sheet for a CD/DVD company
A database for a real companyThen 2 exams.

Misawa
20-05-2008, 05:39 PM
History is a really interesting subject. Is it GCSE IT or the double award course? There is a heck of a lot of coursework in the double award course.

Mitch4?
20-05-2008, 08:47 PM
http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-3527-W-SP-08.PDF

check that out
couple of pages down says

"foundation G-C"
"higher D-A*"

Meanies
20-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Yes you can... rofl.

oh well.

Really? I thought it was very very very very easy. Was yours about HobbiesNCrafts?

What GCSE course are/were you on (Like AQA etc.)?

Because as far as i'm aware, you can't get an A* in any course, seeing as the maximum you can get for GCSE is distinction, which is the same as an A. Then in A-Levels and above, the highest is an A16, which isn't an A*.

My paper today was CEA. You can get an A*, quite a lot of my class got A*s in all the sections so far, just need to see what I got in the exam today, going by how easy I found it, hard not to get an A*.

Mitch4?
21-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Really? I thought it was very very very very easy. Was yours about HobbiesNCrafts?

My paper today was CEA. You can get an A*, quite a lot of my class got A*s in all the sections so far, just need to see what I got in the exam today, going by how easy I found it, hard not to get an A*.

nope :(!
ours was about copywright and shizzle.

Meanies
21-05-2008, 09:57 AM
nope :(!
ours was about copywright and shizzle.

gutted!
What was your timed practical about then?
Think they're all the same as what the exams about. Make leaflets about copyright? :P

Mitch4?
26-05-2008, 11:55 AM
nope,. we didn't have a pratical exam.
We had 60% coursework
40% written paper.

the written paper had like 2 questions on copywright worth like 8 each, and paper was out of 80. So thats like alot of marks i lost :(

Jordy
26-05-2008, 01:35 PM
nope,. we didn't have a pratical exam.
We had 60% coursework
40% written paper.

the written paper had like 2 questions on copywright worth like 8 each, and paper was out of 80. So thats like alot of marks i lost :(I assume you failed the written exam if you can't even spell copyright?

hiyaimthebest
26-05-2008, 01:45 PM
x

The coursework is easy, ours was just making a business and then three tasks for it such as database, advertising and product list/cashiers view and in year 10 it was just some random rubbish about theme parks lol, I didn't take that serious and came out with about a low C but this year I got mid A in coursework and high A in mock and the written exam last week was extremely easy so I know I've definitely passed.

You should pick IT. :D

Mitch4?
27-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I assume you failed the written exam if you can't even spell copyright?

you assume correctly.
haah.

Stitch
27-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm in year 10 and in I had to make a database for a made up company who were using cards to store all their information then solve all the problems they had with the current system on the new system.

Virgin Mary
28-05-2008, 12:41 PM
It isn't hard at all, it's just a lot of extremely boring work. Don't consider doing it if you won't bother doing the work.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!