PDA

View Full Version : Computer = Bleh.

Verrou
21-05-2008, 06:28 AM
Ok, so I switch on the computer, it boots up fine however the screen doesn't turn on and the LED above the power switch just stays Amber (as if the computer is turned off). I've switched out the motherboard (god knows why) and graphics card and it still doesn't work!

It's not the screen because when I disconnect it, i get the "Please check video connection" message.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks,
Ver.

GommeInc
21-05-2008, 01:17 PM
I had this with an old monitor, are you running Vista? Because some monitors don't like it for some reason.

Jebbo
21-05-2008, 06:31 PM
pull out the 'Plug' and put it back in and try again :)

Lycan
21-05-2008, 06:33 PM
pull out the 'Plug' and put it back in and try again :)

If you refering to the VGA plug on the screen i think he would of done that when swapping the graphics card over..

Recently had a similar problem with another computer i'm working on turned out to be the ram.

On the boot does the screen come on at all.. eg pre windows?

Verrou
22-05-2008, 10:34 AM
The screen doesn't turn on at all, it is as if the screen thinks the computer is off.

iFuseDan
22-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Just a thought,

What computer is it? - As some computers have 2 graphics cards (visible), you need to ensure your using the one towards the bottom of the visible case (providing its a tower). If the computer is brand new it may have a DVI port instead of VGA, however there should have been an adapter in the box (am thinking here of a common callout our company goes out for, where the small HP and Acer machines have no "VGA" and so people uncover the onboard one)

If you do have 2 lots of adapters to plug your monitor into, the onboard gpu is turned off when the gpu on pci-e / agp is activated.

Kind Regards,

N!ck
22-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Try "jiggling" the cables that lead in to the back of the monitor if you've altready tried the connection to the PC.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!