PDA

View Full Version : About Electronics on planes.

efq
22-05-2008, 11:13 PM
I am going on a A380 in june and was wondering is it possible to take a Portable IKASU DVD player on it?

Just wondering because I want to take it and watch all the family guys ^^

Misawa
23-05-2008, 03:04 AM
Yes. You can use all kinds of electronics on planes, from MP3 players to like you mentioned, portable DVD players, as well as laptop computers. Some aircrafts have internet access.

N!ck
23-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Yes you can but they'd rather you didn't have any wirelessly interfering devices like mobile phones turned on.

Yoshimitsui
23-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Just don't use it on takeoff or landing :P

Nick.
23-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Why is it that on take off and landing electronic devices cannot be used?

Yoshimitsui
23-05-2008, 08:39 AM
It is said that it " could " interfear with the aircrafts equipment such as the navigation etc.. But a certain device could be built into a games player that sends certain wi-fi signals and interacts with the planes system. It's highly unlikely but it's a safety precaution like all others.

On another note, takeoff and landing is the most dangerous part of any flight if something where to go wrong.

Technologic
23-05-2008, 04:07 PM
So when you crash you dont end up with an ipod lodged ipod your nostril or a dvd player in your brain

Hayd93
23-05-2008, 05:39 PM

They say it is so it dont interfeer with the equitment. There is a small chance it would but it is more that if they have a emergancy they dont want you to be distracted from warning signals by mobile phones ect.

Niall!
23-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes, it's fine just don't bring any snakes!

Firehorse
23-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Because thats the crucial time when they need the radio and any interference could cause major disruption to every aircraft in that area.

Leetzgirl
23-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Your allowed to use anything,
just not a bomb, or ak47.

xxMATTGxx
23-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Always best to check with the airline before using any electronic equipment on board a plane. If i was going on a A380 i have no need for the dvd player. For taking off and landing, its best not to use anything incase "something" happens and its also for safety etc etc.

Nick.
23-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Always best to check with the airline before using any electronic equipment on board a plane. If i was going on a A380 i have no need for the dvd player. For taking off and landing, its best not to use anything incase "something" happens and its also for safety etc etc.
why do add etc etc to the end of loads of your posts.. LOL. and also thanks for that info :)

xxMATTGxx
24-05-2008, 05:39 AM
why do add etc etc to the end of loads of your posts.. LOL. and also thanks for that info :)

Because if people had a brain they would think of the other reasons as well. :P

efq
24-05-2008, 08:52 AM
ok i wont use during take off and landing. ta
its a 6th time on the A380 but i never remember what it has on it because i fly with all sorts of airlines.

iAdam
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
I swear it's not been in service long and that only Singapore airliners oeprates it at the moment, or am I just being slow?

cocaine
10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Because if people had a brain they would think of the other reasons as well. :P
If you had one then you'd list them ;) LOL sorry :]

Shawnstra
11-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Some airlines may have internet. But electronics are allowed unless they interfere with the airplane tech. Except during takeoff and landing, you can use it I guess. Just curious, what airlines are you taking?

Singapore Airlines ftw :P <3

-if you take Singapore, you can bring a usb device and you can work on your word, spreadsheet, etc. on the software itself.

Bon Voyage!

Independent
11-06-2008, 05:03 AM
I remember trying to use my PSP but I got told to turn it off :S

Abbie.
11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
ive seen people with portable dvd players when ive flown

im bringing mine this year so i dont get bored lool

Ashley 12344
11-06-2008, 08:48 PM
You can take it on with you regardless, so just check as to that airlines policy.
Can't lose really.

Javascrypt
11-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes, it's fine just don't bring any snakes!
xD Snakes on a plane.

lew!
11-06-2008, 10:21 PM
cus they are in contact with the ATC mostly during takeoff and landing which is crucial for getting details of when to land and if theres any emergancies on the landing strip already or any changes...
Some mobile phones etc might have the same frequencies and you might be mistaken for ATC lool.

efq
11-06-2008, 10:26 PM
lol, dont worry now, i took it on it was fine nd loved watching happy gilmore nd bad boys 2 lots of times. I didnt use durin take off nd landin but lol thre was alot of dvds on the seats so lmao at myself.

good flight tiny turbulance and perfect landing

ToxicPaddy
11-06-2008, 10:32 PM
When I go to Ireland once or twice a year, or anywhere on a plane infact, I know I can use stuff like nintendo DS's etc but I wouldn't dare incase something happens! I just enjoy the view :)

Disaronno
11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I always ask first, just to make sure. But, i have used my iPod and PSP and all been ok.

Shawnstra
11-06-2008, 11:47 PM
cus they are in contact with the ATC mostly during takeoff and landing which is crucial for getting details of when to land and if theres any emergancies on the landing strip already or any changes...
Some mobile phones etc might have the same frequencies and you might be mistaken for ATC lool.

If you decide to play your phones games btw you can use plane mode which is supported by some phones, so you can turn off the connectivity but just use the functions ;)

Dan!
12-06-2008, 10:05 AM

yes and mobile phones control planes :rolleyes:

you cant use mobile phone because it makes the computer system not work correctly but has not been proved that it dose not affect computer system on board.

because it affect the aircraft take off you also need to be aware of what around you in a event of a Mayday not that most people sit their and read on take off.

but their is no real proof that it dose affect the aircraft.

StickMan
15-06-2008, 07:15 AM
TOTAL FALSE! that electronic devices interfers with the radio and stuff, all air lines have a special lets say, satellite, wich only air planes can get the signal...
They tell you not to use them because they are scared of a terrorist atack.

Example
The plane is about to fly away
Someone calls and tell's in wich direction / plane is it
They locate it
Send's missil
Plane goes down

But then... why at certain point you can use them?
Simply, when they are very high, the chances of that missil to hit the plane are about .0001 in thousands of millions because several factors such as speed, so it's very hard to get hitted.

If it was true what they say about it, then NO ONE could use a cellphone on the airport, no internet on airport and stuff...

This "rule" was hardly considered after the twin towers atack, and so you DO NOT USE THEM, they tell u it can combine signals and u can die...

but it's all A BIG PROVEN FAT LIE.

Dan/

cocaine
15-06-2008, 09:26 AM
TOTAL FALSE! that electronic devices interfers with the radio and stuff, all air lines have a special lets say, satellite, wich only air planes can get the signal...
They tell you not to use them because they are scared of a terrorist atack.

Example
The plane is about to fly away
Someone calls and tell's in wich direction / plane is it
They locate it
Send's missil
Plane goes down

But then... why at certain point you can use them?
Simply, when they are very high, the chances of that missil to hit the plane are about .0001 in thousands of millions because several factors such as speed, so it's very hard to get hitted.

If it was true what they say about it, then NO ONE could use a cellphone on the airport, no internet on airport and stuff...

This "rule" was hardly considered after the twin towers atack, and so you DO NOT USE THEM, they tell u it can combine signals and u can die...

but it's all A BIG PROVEN FAT LIE.

Dan/

LOL omg.. yeah if the terrorists were half decent they'd look up the flightplan and attack it enroute, as well as tuning into the air traffic control to find out where the plane is going..

and if a terroist was on board I highly doubt he'd phone someone up to blow up the plane he is on, instead of just doing it from the ground?

just pmsl at that post srsly..

Recursion
15-06-2008, 09:28 AM
You do realise quite a few airlines allow you to use a mobile phone nowadays?

You aren't allowed to use them during take off and landing in case of an emergency, in which case you need to know where you are, what to do etc...

And tbh, on the way back from Lanzarote my dad was using his UMPC and didn't ever bother to turn off Bluetooth or WiFi.

xxMATTGxx
15-06-2008, 09:30 AM
You do realise quite a few airlines allow you to use a mobile phone nowadays?

You aren't allowed to use them during take off and landing in case of an emergency, in which case you need to know where you are, what to do etc...

And tbh, on the way back from Lanzarote my dad was using his UMPC and didn't ever bother to turn off Bluetooth or WiFi.

Correct, for example British Airways let you use mobile phones as long as they are in "In Flight Mode"

Recursion
15-06-2008, 09:31 AM
I meant, some airlines actually have cell sites on the plane so people can use their mobiles to call etc.

StickMan
15-06-2008, 05:27 PM
LOL omg.. yeah if the terrorists were half decent they'd look up the flightplan and attack it enroute, as well as tuning into the air traffic control to find out where the plane is going..

and if a terroist was on board I highly doubt he'd phone someone up to blow up the plane he is on, instead of just doing it from the ground?

just pmsl at that post srsly..

11/09/01

how did it happened?

Dan/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!