PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Internet?

bo$$
23-05-2008, 03:13 AM
hola.
Right now I just have a desktop with high speed internet connected through a cable modem and into the computer with umm.. a phone cord looking thing.

I'm going to be buying a laptop soon and I'm just wondering if theres anything special that I'd have to buy in order to be able to go on the internet on the laptop. Would I just need a second modem to put into the laptop as well while I'm around the house? and what about not at the house?

thhhhaaank you and +rep

Misawa
23-05-2008, 03:34 AM
To connect to the internet you'll need to connect the phone jack-looking wire directly into the right port on your laptop. So you're going to have to be wherever your modem is, unfortunately. Your best bet is purchasing a router to create a wireless home network, that way you get rid of wires + you can surf the internet potentially anywhere in your house + the area outside of it without needing to physically be attached to anything. You just need wi-fi capabilities with your laptop, which the majority of new machines come with, built-in as standard.

Other than that, you will need another modem.

Leetzgirl
23-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Short words

Buy a router.

Zaub
23-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Connecting a laptop to your network will be as simple as connecting it to your PC.

N!ck
23-05-2008, 08:05 AM
you'll need some form of network device that you can use to share the connection. Try a wireless router as then you can use the laptop wirelessly around the house. As for not around the house you'd have to get an internet service from a mobile phone company and you basically have a USB modem that you plug a sim card into and it works just like a mobile phone does.

bo$$
23-05-2008, 02:26 PM
To connect to the internet you'll need to connect the phone jack-looking wire directly into the right port on your laptop. So you're going to have to be wherever your modem is, unfortunately. Your best bet is purchasing a router to create a wireless home network, that way you get rid of wires + you can surf the internet potentially anywhere in your house + the area outside of it without needing to physically be attached to anything. You just need wi-fi capabilities with your laptop, which the majority of new machines come with, built-in as standard.

Other than that, you will need another modem.
awesome, thanks (gotta spread)

Short words

Buy a router.
awesome

Connecting a laptop to your network will be as simple as connecting it to your PC.
thankk you.

you'll need some form of network device that you can use to share the connection. Try a wireless router as then you can use the laptop wirelessly around the house. As for not around the house you'd have to get an internet service from a mobile phone company and you basically have a USB modem that you plug a sim card into and it works just like a mobile phone does.
again, awesome thanks
+rep to all of you (unless I have to spread)

Kermit
23-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I think I know what you mean?..

If you are connected to a wireless source e.g BT HomeHub just get a USB wireless adapter. Like one of these:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179211

Be careful though, I had two of them, and they both snapped.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!