PDA

View Full Version : Can YOU Guys please tell me a Little bit about my AS-Levels?

Hey Guys,

Well I will be doing 4 AS-Levels from September and I would like to know a little more depth about the AS-Levels I am doing like "How you Guys find it?" and "If it is interesting or just plain boring?"

I picked my AS-Levels in a ration of 3:1 - 3 Main Subjects to do with my future Career & 1 Less pressured Subject to get away from the stress and boredom of the Main 3 Subjects!

My AS-Levels are ...

Accounting
Business
Mathematics
Sociology

In the Ratio of 3:1 - Accounting,Business Mathematics : Sociology!

Much help and information appreciated!

Thanks

Amit

:D

Abbie.
28-05-2008, 09:28 PM
well i know maths is meant to be really hard lol

if you just keep on top of the work, you'll be fine!

Smiddy
28-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I think my main mistake when going into sixthform was taking 4 AS levels, It was almost too much new stuff to try and take-in, then too much to try and revise at the end of the year.
If I had to do sixthform again, then I'd only do 3 AS (then the same 3 A2 levels the year after) so I could concentrate on them, I've never really regained my full concentration in sixthform; good thing it's over now haha.

But of course, that's just an individual, other people can cope with stuff in other ways. I wish you luck with it no matter what happens :)

Kieran
28-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Ok, I do maths so I can tell you anything you need to know about it.

The topics you cover will be called:

Core Mathematics 1
Core Mathematics 2
Statistics 1

Maths can be hard at times but providing you have a good understanding of how maths works you wont have a problem with it. If you struggled to get say a B at GCSE level, you are going to find it hard but it is doable! Don't do it if you don't find it interesting as you will find it harder. Statistics is an easy exam to do, so providing you learn and understand it all, you won't have a problem with any of it.

If you have anymore questions about maths at AS Level, just ask =)

I also do Physics, English Literature and Design Technology (Systems and Control) if you want anymore information about those =)

Virgin Mary
28-05-2008, 09:52 PM
What exam boards are they with? Just look them up on the exam board's site and it pretty much tells you everything.

Frodo13.
28-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I do AS Business with OCR and what I've learnt is that in Business you need more then just the knowledge that would get you through GCSE Business, because there really is not much diffrence in the knowledge part, but you also need to apply, analyise and evaluate, which are skills you will need to learn in order to get decent grades in not just Business, but all of your A Levels.

Enrique.
28-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I think my main mistake when going into sixthform was taking 4 AS levels, It was almost too much new stuff to try and take-in, then too much to try and revise at the end of the year.
If I had to do sixthform again, then I'd only do 3 AS (then the same 3 A2 levels the year after) so I could concentrate on them, I've never really regained my full concentration in sixthform; good thing it's over now haha.

But of course, that's just an individual, other people can cope with stuff in other ways. I wish you luck with it no matter what happens :)
we can only choose a min. of 4.
max of 5.

kk.
28-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Ok, I do maths so I can tell you anything you need to know about it.

The topics you cover will be called:

Core Mathematics 1
Core Mathematics 2
Statistics 1

Maths can be hard at times but providing you have a good understanding of how maths works you wont have a problem with it. If you struggled to get say a B at GCSE level, you are going to find it hard but it is doable! Don't do it if you don't find it interesting as you will find it harder. Statistics is an easy exam to do, so providing you learn and understand it all, you won't have a problem with any of it.

If you have anymore questions about maths at AS Level, just ask =)

I also do Physics, English Literature and Design Technology (Systems and Control) if you want anymore information about those =)

Wrong :P. Its C1, C2 and a third. I'm doing decision maths which I would try to avoid if you get given the choice. I think you can do stats and mechanics also.

Its pretty much logic and the need to know about equations and problem solving. A lot of c1 is gcse but v2 is a big step. I take business and economics which I would say is a harder choice because of the economics. Once again, a larger step up from yr 11 than most subjects and you do need a lot of knowledge. I dont know about the other ones and your in the same sort of area I am interested in :)

PaintYourTarget
28-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I did C1, C2 and Stats, but it's up to the school on the third generally. As long as you revise maths and put the work and effort into it you can do it. I'm only struggling because my C1 teacher was terrible and I didn't have the time to put into it.
Once you get your head round the idea and concepts then it's just a case of applying them to questions, which is the easiest bit.

Soka
29-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I do maths and accounts, physics and economics at AS, and next year I plan to do maths, accounts, physics at A2, plus further maths at AS. So i think you've made the right choice to choose 4 AS, because if you'd only chosen 3 and didn't like one it would mean you'd probably have to take a 3rd year because universities like 3 A2s.

Maths:

If you get A/A* at GCSE Maths, you will find C1/C2 relatively simple as long as you do the work.

C1 is basically the top end of a* gcse work (i found this simple) + a new branch of maths called diffrentiation which includes stationary points etc. which is really easy to understand.

C2 is an extension onto gcse triganometry including a few new sine rules - easy to learn - some are given in a formula book, logarithms - just learn 3 rules, binomial expansion - easy, intergration - reverse of diffrentiation - so easy and this also links in with areas under curves and the trapezium rule - given in formula book. Plus, theres some sequence rules to learn for geometric and arithmetic which is really simple, and again the formulas are given (summing formulas to n terms, finding nth term etc.)

You'll then do M1 / S1 or D1, I was forced to do D1 so can only comment on this. It's a whole new branch of maths that i find incredibly boring, but its really easy if you've got the patience to learn it. Its basically following instructions like a robot and just memorising what to do.

It's not too hard to get good UMS marks on any of these modules above.

Accounts

Totally new work for me, but realtively simple again. At AS you'll do Unit 1 /2 /3 OR Unit 2/3/4 - I have being taught unit 2/3/4 because unit 2 links in very well with unit 3, and unit 1 links in well with unit 5 (A2, so my tutor is going to wizz through unit 1 with unit 5).
Unit 2- You learn about shares & dividends, profit and loss accounts, balance sheets, its very simple if you learn the work nothing too hard to grasp.

Unit 3 - Just more complicated balance sheets etc, more complicated shares and divdiends, + you learn about stock valuation and accounting concepts - again nothing hard to understand.

Unit 4 - This is hardest I feel, because your introduced to accounting ratios, budgets, break even analysis and social accounting. Its harder but as long as you learn it its realtively simple

In AS accounts and AS maths anybody is capable of getting good grades if they work hard because its quite easy to understand, but A2 will be a big step up - AS UMS counts towards A2 so its always good to get as high marks as possible at AS to allow for dropping marks at the harder A2.

Stacey.
29-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Sociology is good, rather easy.
In my college all the AS Levels are changing for next year.

StripedTiger
29-05-2008, 01:45 PM
this year i done maths as level.
it isnt hard but it aint easy.

you do stuff like quadratic equations, complete the square etc. Also you learn a whole new way of doing statistics lmao

if you have a good teacher i dont think you'll have a problem, especially if you put the work in.

I dunno what exam board you'll do, but i done edexcel. Search GCE mathematics, or sneak into a book shop n browse at the revision guides for detail. It's all do-able but apparently, year 13 gets very hard, i'll give you more info on it next year when i experience it for myself.

But as i said, your not walking into anything completely impossible here

I do maths and accounts, physics and economics at AS, and next year I plan to do maths, accounts, physics at A2, plus further maths at AS. So i think you've made the right choice to choose 4 AS, because if you'd only chosen 3 and didn't like one it would mean you'd probably have to take a 3rd year because universities like 3 A2s.

Maths:

If you get A/A* at GCSE Maths, you will find C1/C2 relatively simple as long as you do the work.

C1 is basically the top end of a* gcse work (i found this simple) + a new branch of maths called diffrentiation which includes stationary points etc. which is really easy to understand.

C2 is an extension onto gcse triganometry including a few new sine rules - easy to learn - some are given in a formula book, logarithms - just learn 3 rules, binomial expansion - easy, intergration - reverse of diffrentiation - so easy and this also links in with areas under curves and the trapezium rule - given in formula book. Plus, theres some sequence rules to learn for geometric and arithmetic which is really simple, and again the formulas are given (summing formulas to n terms, finding nth term etc.)

You'll then do M1 / S1 or D1, I was forced to do D1 so can only comment on this. It's a whole new branch of maths that i find incredibly boring, but its really easy if you've got the patience to learn it. Its basically following instructions like a robot and just memorising what to do.

It's not too hard to get good UMS marks on any of these modules above.

Accounts

Totally new work for me, but realtively simple again. At AS you'll do Unit 1 /2 /3 OR Unit 2/3/4 - I have being taught unit 2/3/4 because unit 2 links in very well with unit 3, and unit 1 links in well with unit 5 (A2, so my tutor is going to wizz through unit 1 with unit 5).
Unit 2- You learn about shares & dividends, profit and loss accounts, balance sheets, its very simple if you learn the work nothing too hard to grasp.

Unit 3 - Just more complicated balance sheets etc, more complicated shares and divdiends, + you learn about stock valuation and accounting concepts - again nothing hard to understand.

Unit 4 - This is hardest I feel, because your introduced to accounting ratios, budgets, break even analysis and social accounting. Its harder but as long as you learn it its realtively simple

In AS accounts and AS maths anybody is capable of getting good grades if they work hard because its quite easy to understand, but A2 will be a big step up - AS UMS counts towards A2 so its always good to get as high marks as possible at AS to allow for dropping marks at the harder A2.

Cheers Guys for all your Comments!

I am going for an A/A* in Mathematics and I find it interesting LOL; I see it has plain logic and making your Brain work at its full potential LOL.

I think I am going to do my best for my AS-Levels and then try my best for A2 as it gets harder :(.

I think I will try to learn some basic AS-Level Maths in the 6 Week summer holidays hopefully :).

Soka could you please tell me how Economics is aswell?

Rep has been given to all useful posts and some are still pending! :)

Thanks

Amit

JackBuddy
29-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Hey Guys,

Well I will be doing 4 AS-Levels from September and I would like to know a little more depth about the AS-Levels I am doing like "How you Guys find it?" and "If it is interesting or just plain boring?"

I picked my AS-Levels in a ration of 3:1 - 3 Main Subjects to do with my future Career & 1 Less pressured Subject to get away from the stress and boredom of the Main 3 Subjects!

My AS-Levels are ...

Accounting
Business
Mathematics
Sociology

In the Ratio of 3:1 - Accounting,Business Mathematics : Sociology!

Much help and information appreciated!

Thanks

Amit

:D
I don't do these subjects but I have heard mixed opinions about them. Business is said to be fairly straight forward and maths hard. Sociology is one of those subjects with are reliant on you being very good at writing and structuring essays. It's not a case of knowing the answer it is how you write it. I think you learn about nuclear families and relationships etc

Edit: Economics is said to be very dull

Starburst..x
29-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm basically just pointing out what everyone else is saying about AS level, but my viewpoint is that if you don't put the effort in they will be extremely difficult, but totally worth it in the long run and will help you a great deal, so when they do get hard just try to stick it out. But they are also a lot better than GCSEs as you are studying subjects that you want to study which can make it slightly easier.
I have to say though, good choice with Sociology!, it is my most favourite subject and its the most interesting!, thats just my opinion though lol before anyone starts saying anything.:)

Guys my A-levels have changed, so if you have information on my new ones then feel free to post below :)

I am going for the more academic and traditional ones that are higher valued and respected by universites that I will enjoy than the softer options that top universites reject :(

Economics
Mathematics
Politics
Sociology

Thanks

Amit

Fehm
30-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Does anyone know anything about the AS music course?

Thanks

JackBuddy
30-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Do what subjects you enjoy. There's no point doing 4 courses you hate.

Do what subjects you enjoy. There's no point doing 4 courses you hate.

I will enjoy them LOL.

Economics - I had in my Original List.
Mathematics - Ive been interested in that from the start.
Sociology - Ive been interested in that aswell from the start if you look.
Politics - Something new for me, Sounds interesting and looks excellent with good Job prospects.

Basically Politics is the only new option for me.

I rather do something now that I know I will enjoy and get a good university place with the subjects being regarded highly respected than something that would also be enjoyable but my Job prospects and uni chances may go down and I may have to go to a less academic university if you get me.

Thanks

Amit

Puma!
30-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah - it's all about those 'respected A-levels nowadays'.

So that chucks media, CT, GS, film studies, business studies out of the window.

I know maths is one of the most respected A-levels out there, along with all the sciences.

Then there are the more 'traditional subjects' - History, Geography, Economics, English Language + Literature and any language.

There is a list on the internet somehwere; When I find where it is, I'll post it.

Virgin Mary
30-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah - it's all about those 'respected A-levels nowadays'.

So that chucks media, CT, GS, film studies, business studies out of the window.

I know maths is one of the most respected A-levels out there, along with all the sciences.

Then there are the more 'traditional subjects' - History, Geography, Economics, English Language + Literature and any language.

There is a list on the internet somehwere; When I find where it is, I'll post it.
Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Film Studies
Health and Social Care
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Leisure Studies
Media Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Photography
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism

Blacklists differ from uni to uni though.

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Film Studies
Health and Social Care
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Leisure Studies
Media Studies
Music Technology
Performance Studies
Performing Arts
Photography
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism

Blacklists differ from uni to uni though.

Them subjects are not accepted by academic universites. But they say you can have at least one if you want in a ratio of 2:1 I think, 2 Traditional and 1 Mickey Mouse or Softer one. but 1:2 is not allowed where 1 being a traditional subject and 2 being 2 softer subjects. But I don't want to risk it and am happy with my new AS-level options now and also I have a wide range of job prospects now than I did with having Accounting & Business.

Thanks

Amit

Throne Sofa
30-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't see why Business Studies, Drama, Media, ICT etc should be called 'Mickey Mouse' a levels? Not eveyone can take them and do well in them they should be more respected IMO.

Virgin Mary
30-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I guess because they aren't as academically challenging as maths or physics etc.

Shatterstar
31-05-2008, 01:44 PM
economics is goooooooood
the first 2 units are kinda easy but the 3rd isnt
got my exams for it wednesday

Eamonn
31-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Eughh seriously re-consider taking sociology, I only took it as a GCSE and still that was enough, it is the most boring subject I have ever took and if I could go back I wouldn't of took it, it's a load a crap :@ and the thought of doing it as AS/A2 level makes me cringe ARGHH, seriously just really think before you take sociology.

Frodo13.
31-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Meh, I've got a 2:2

Soka
01-06-2008, 06:48 PM
economics is goooooooood
the first 2 units are kinda easy but the 3rd isnt
got my exams for it wednesday

i got this wednesday unit 1/2/3 its my worst and boringest subject
just so much learning and reading, where as i prefer doing maths where you can be taught something once and remember it by doing few questions
just soo much to learn for economics im not revising until full day tuesday.

i got good range of subjects
maths - physics - economics & accounts :8

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!