PDA

View Full Version : does applecare cover accidental damage?

dirrty
29-05-2008, 01:49 PM
because i dropped my ipod touch in water 2 days ago and some things dont work. but my warrenty doesnt cover accidental damage (bought it at christmas), so i dunno what to do.

if applecare doesnt cover it, can anyone else recommend any other insurance companies who insure ipods for accidental damage. i dont want random ones off the internet, but ones which people have either used or heard of.

thanks

xxMATTGxx
29-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Just don't say it was an accident?

dirrty
29-05-2008, 01:59 PM
but when they open it up or w.e, they will see that the cause is water damage wouldnt they? so they wouldnt fix it as the limited warranty doesnt cover water damage. the same happened to my friend, and they charged him for the p&p aswell as the above.

xxMATTGxx
29-05-2008, 02:07 PM
but when they open it up or w.e, they will see that the cause is water damage wouldnt they? so they wouldnt fix it as the limited warranty doesnt cover water damage. the same happened to my friend, and they charged him for the p&p aswell as the above.

Well find out how much it cost to fix. If its not a bad price then pay it somehow or get a new iPod. Not many companies will cover it because they just send it to Apple anyway.

Judge Judy
29-05-2008, 02:19 PM
When my iPod went into the washing machine (lol), I didn't have to pay for a new one because of the warranty.

dirrty
29-05-2008, 02:24 PM
When my iPod went into the washing machine (lol), I didn't have to pay for a new one because of the warranty.
which warranty did you have?
as i called up yesterday and he said water damage isnt covered :(

& i cant really buy a new 1, as its an ipod touch and i dont have the money buy one. the only problems is the wi-fi says "no wi-fi" and the screen has loads of lines and patches on it. its just really annoying that accidental damage isnt covered.

Recursion
29-05-2008, 02:28 PM
If you had left it to dry for a few days it would have been fine...

Goto your local town, usually there are shops that will fix it there and then for a low price.

Lµke
29-05-2008, 02:39 PM
If you have a house insurance policy ask your mum or dad to make a claim on it for you (if its feesable due to excesses).

As i know the one my dad has on our house has accidental damage cover because when my 37 inch plasma fell off the stand it was on and smashed the screen my dad claimed on the house insurance under the contents bit and it was replaced.

Recursion
29-05-2008, 02:43 PM
But that TV woulda been over a £1000, depending on your insurance, it needs to be a certain price before you can claim, if they do claim it will ruin something, im crap at this insurance stuff LOL

Judge Judy
29-05-2008, 02:56 PM
which warranty did you have?
as i called up yesterday and he said water damage isnt covered :(

& i cant really buy a new 1, as its an ipod touch and i dont have the money buy one. the only problems is the wi-fi says "no wi-fi" and the screen has loads of lines and patches on it. its just really annoying that accidental damage isnt covered.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0482824/Trail/searchtext%3EAPPLECARE.htm

^The one in that link^

dirrty
29-05-2008, 03:35 PM
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0482824/Trail/searchtext%3EAPPLECARE.htm

^The one in that link^
yh that, but i dunno if it covers accidental damage or not.

Judge Judy
29-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Well my iPod was accidental damage as I didn't mean to put it in the washing machine.

darkchicken101
29-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage, and AFAIK in the headphone jack of iPhones and iPod Touches there is a piece of material that changes colour on contact with water. Look in it with a torch. I may be wrong though.

darkchicken101
29-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage, and AFAIK in the headphone jack of iPhones and iPod Touches there is a piece of material that changes colour on contact with water. Look in it with a torch. I may be wrong though.

Yeah, here is what it looks like:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/iphone-water-sensor.jpg

When it gets wet, it turns red, or slightly pink. If it isn't red you might be able to lie and get a new one.

dirrty
29-05-2008, 10:28 PM
i did that and it looks half white half red lol. well not white, but yanno wot i mean.

darkchicken101
29-05-2008, 10:32 PM
That means the Applecare people will not replace your iPod, as it is a sign of water damage.

dirrty
29-05-2008, 10:38 PM
eurgh. i called up apple earlier, told them my situation and he said i should go into my local apple store and tell them my ipod says no wi-fi, as they should fix it as im covered. but i was confused because i get no wi-fi due to water damage, so surely it wouldnt be covered :S

edit; i might buy this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/YEAR-EXTENDED-WARRANTY-PORTABLE-%C2%A3150-%C2%A3500/dp/B000KNEG2K/ref=acc_glance__sp_SVC_3_***/202-6842019-0063821) which covers accidental damage, and was from an ipod touch page on amazon. but it says following the expiry of the manufacturer guarantee, and mine expires in december!

Recursion
30-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Well, they won't give you a new iPod but they will probably fix the No WiFi problem, just tell them what the problems are WITHOUT TELLING THEM ITS WATER DAMAGE LOL and they will probably fix it.

xxMATTGxx
30-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Well, they won't give you a new iPod but they will probably fix the No WiFi problem, just tell them what the problems are WITHOUT TELLING THEM ITS WATER DAMAGE LOL and they will probably fix it.

Do what Tom said, but I would like to know why the hell did you put water near it? or put it in water.

dirrty
30-05-2008, 10:16 AM
yh, ill do that thanks.

& i had a glass of water between my legs while i was on the sofa so it didnt spill, then i picked up my ipod to go on the internet then it just dropped out of my hands right into the glass. its literally just my luck lol.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!