PDA

View Full Version : [Vista] Desktop Windows Manager?

You
30-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I think it's Desktop Windows Manager but on my PC, my task bar will freeze and my desktop freezes, i can't click anything on my desktop but i can use the arrows or alt + tab to move about, i have to press ALT - Delete & Ctrl and then press cancel to fix it up or end the DWM.exe task...

Any ideas on how to sort it?

DarrenToogood
30-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Could you post the specs of your PC for us?

Sounds like your processor/RAM can not cope with the applications on your desktop.

You
30-05-2008, 09:34 PM
This is from memory...
Intel Core 2 duo Processors 1.96Ghz - Not actually sure if they're 1,96, could be higher.
2GB Ram
160 GB Hard Drive
256MB Graphics Card
Vista Home Prem 32x

Leetzgirl
30-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Other then it bugged up or it is your graphics card

Wait till Nick or Dave, or Tom or Matt, or Tawm to reply ;d

DarrenToogood
30-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Sounds like it is overloading the system. Your graphics card may be gone..

Also Jak I am offended by that comment. I know exactly what I am talking about, and have recently built a higher spec computer than we one in question.

Kieran
30-05-2008, 10:31 PM
What graphics card is it? ATI or Nvidia?

If it is ATI, update your driver as a new one was bought out due to computer crashes =) I had a similiar problem, this fixed mine. Also if you have overclocked your GFX card at all, return it to its default settings and see if it fixes it =)

Leetzgirl
30-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Also Jak I am offended by that comment. I know exactly what I am talking about, and have recently built a higher spec computer than we one in question.

Sorry for not adding your name :rolleyes:

You
30-05-2008, 10:36 PM
What graphics card is it? ATI or Nvidia?

If it is ATI, update your driver as a new one was bought out due to computer crashes =) I had a similiar problem, this fixed mine. Also if you have overclocked your GFX card at all, return it to its default settings and see if it fixes it =)
How do you know if you've "overclocked" and ok, i will check for ATI updates tomorrow, cheers!

Edit just to let you know, i have reformatted my PC and it's still happening, so perhaps the drivers arent up-to-date or my Graphics card is buggered, will update software tomorrow and reply here!

Kieran
30-05-2008, 10:41 PM
The latest ATI update came out last week....

Stephen!
30-05-2008, 10:43 PM
This isn't anything to do with hardware or drivers. This is a fault with Windows itself.

Kieran
30-05-2008, 10:44 PM
Clearly not when he's just reformatted....

If it was a software issue this would resolve the problem

DarrenToogood
31-05-2008, 07:46 AM
If you have just formatted your system, you may need to reinstall the latest drivers. If not, it could be that Windows corrupted on Install.

Recursion
31-05-2008, 10:34 AM
If you have reformatted, install all the necessary drivers for everything, chipset, graphics, sound etc... then if the problem persists reinstall Windows, sometimes I have a bad install and reinstalling Windows again fixes the problem

N!ck
31-05-2008, 10:49 AM

***? You evidently don't.

Sorry for not adding your name :rolleyes:

Don't bother (I know you're being sarcastic).

If you have reformatted, install all the necessary drivers for everything, chipset, graphics, sound etc... then if the problem persists reinstall Windows, sometimes I have a bad install and reinstalling Windows again fixes the problem

That is probably your best bet. If you have recently formatted then that should solve it. If not then it may be a virus or just an error with the OS like Stephen said. You're probably best formatting and starting from fresh in this case.

You
31-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I had the problem before i reformatted my PC, so i thought reformatting would of fixed it. I've installed all the drivers (latest ones) that i need and the problem still occurs!

Lulz
01-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Vista fails, proberly a windows error.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com
I'd run that anti virus scan just to check incase you do have a virus.

Stephen!
01-06-2008, 11:49 PM
I had the problem before i reformatted my PC, so i thought reformatting would of fixed it. I've installed all the drivers (latest ones) that i need and the problem still occurs!

Well then it must be something to do with the drivers you've downloaded. Try an older/newer driver for each of your things that you need them for

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!