PDA

View Full Version : My computer is running slow

Meti
04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey,
I wonder why my computer is running slow. For a couple of days ago, it was really good and fast, now it's slower than ever!

I have done virus scans with Panda Antivirus 2007, and no viruses were found.

Sometimes, it also comes up pop-ups saying like "we just blocked a infregiment" or something like that.

I'm also using FireFox, but i doubt that is the fault?

Please help me. I'll +rep :)

Stephen!
04-06-2008, 03:22 PM
..Panda antivirus?

That may be why. Never heard of it

N!ck
04-06-2008, 03:44 PM
It's a fairly decent AV.

Stephen!
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh well in that case then..

When's the last time you have defragged your hard drive?

Jack!
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
try do a defrag and clean-up then try getting a computer boost also see what spped your cpu is at

Meti
04-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Panda Antivirus is a anti virus program here in Sweden.

Last time i defragged my computer was when I had a virus, and that was for about 5 months ago I believe.

If I defrag my computer, will all the files i've downloaded/got be removed from that date?

Kevin
04-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Mabye you've recently installed games/software you're computer is not able to handle. and overworking the system. You could also be running too many anti-virus programs, if you're running any others than panda, I recommend you choose one, as having more than one AV can slow down you're computer and also cause conflicts between the two.

Swearwolf
04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
When you defrag your computer, no files are lost, it simply moves them all around to places where your operating system can access them faster, therefore potentially speeding performance up :)

Wig44.
04-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Panda Antivirus is a anti virus program here in Sweden.

Last time i defragged my computer was when I had a virus, and that was for about 5 months ago I believe.

If I defrag my computer, will all the files i've downloaded/got be removed from that date?

You're mixing up formatting and defragging.

Formatting would cause you to lose almost all of your data but defragging as said before reallocates files so they can be accessed faster, to put it simply :)

Meti
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Ok. But i haven't installed any softwares or games this month. I've just downloaded photoshop stuff.

HotelUser
04-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Ok. But i haven't installed any softwares or games this month. I've just downloaded photoshop stuff.

Go to start
Click run
Type msconfig
click startup
disable any programs you don't need opening upon your system turning on. If you don't know what a specific application does, DO NOT TOUCH IT.Also, go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs (Programs and features on Vista PCs) and remove any unused applications. If you're running Windows Vista on a system that can't handle it, it will be slow.

Panda AV is average, but nothing fantastic. I recommend un-installing it, and installing AVG Free (obtainable at download.com (http://www.habboxforum.com/download.com)). If you're using any P2P sharing applications (Limewire, Ares, etc) I suggest you remove them. I've seen some pretty nasty infections coming from P2Ping.

e5
04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Clear your cookies, history etc

then try run some program like CleanUP! which really speeds your comp up :).

Damian15
04-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Photoshop is an intense RAM user so if you have little ram that could be your problem.

Decode
04-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Click start > my computer > right click on c:\ > properties > tools > defrag

Then click analyse, if the bar turns mainly red do a defrag, if the bar is mainly blue you dont need to do one.

Stephen!
04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
CCleaner ftw.

Stevehere
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
CCleaner ftw.

yeah lol

also fgs people who say avg is the best really get on my left nut

DarrenToogood
04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Possible Solutions:

- Download AVG 8.0 Free, and run a full system scan

- Check your system information such as RAM, processor and HDD space to match with programs

- Open up msconfig to remove startup programs which you do not need

- Look at ways to upgrade your system

- Consider a possible format, backing up all your data to an outer source, formatting and reinstalling your OS and the files.

N!ck
04-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I love how people think a hard drive can instantly become fragmented and slow a computer down from being fast one day to slow the next. Fragmentation occurs over time and slows things down over time, not all in one lump like the thread starter is suggesting.

To try and diagnose the problem information would help. First of all i'm assuming the whole computer in general is seeming slow and not just the internet. Although not necessary, it would be nice to know a general overview of the specs of the computer. Then could you run the following program and post the log file so that we can help further http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

HotelUser
05-06-2008, 12:18 AM
yeah lol

also fgs people who say avg is the best really get on my left nut

Excuse me, but you -repped me regarding me saying AVG is a good free scanner. I never said it was the best. It's all about personal preference. You've said that I've implied that AVG is the best freeware virus protection, I don't think it's the best, just that it's sufficient for freeware. If I did think it was the best, it would just be an opinion. Every user is entitled to an opinion. Negative reputation over an opinion cannot be justified in the situation.

To the thread starter, if you share the opinion of Stevehere, and dislike AVG Free virus protection then I strongly encourage you to checkout Trend Micro Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/). Very thorough with scanning. Very efficient. Moreover, would you mind telling us the specifications of your computer, as well as the operating system you're using (this information is obtainable by right-mouse clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Properties".

HotelUser
05-06-2008, 12:34 AM
I love how people think a hard drive can instantly become fragmented and slow a computer down from being fast one day to slow the next. Fragmentation occurs over time and slows things down over time, not all in one lump like the thread starter is suggesting.

To try and diagnose the problem information would help. First of all i'm assuming the whole computer in general is seeming slow and not just the internet. Although not necessary, it would be nice to know a general overview of the specs of the computer. Then could you run the following program and post the log file so that we can help further http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

Indeed, fragmentation wouldn't be to this severity over the span of several days. However, the defragmentation of hard drives should be repeated on a regular basis, so it's not a bad idea to degragment the hard drive.

Edit: it wouldn't let me edit my preceding post, I apologize for the double post. If a moderator could merge it would be much appreciated.

Wig44.
05-06-2008, 07:19 AM

Doesn't matter, files can become fragmented anyway. Try a defrag if you haven't already done so in the past month or 2.

Get CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com Run that with all your browsers closed and it will clear out a load of Temporary internet files, form data, browsing history, cookies, download history so if you, for instance click 'remember me' when you log in to a website when you go there after running ccleaner you will be logged out as the cookies will be gone. But there will be a significant speed increase if you have a lot of junk to clear out.

And as n!ck said, post the log file :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!