PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or Desktop

Aces
11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Which one should i get?

What I do
Play games like soldier front ( low spec games )
Video editing
Surfing
Showing off

Any suggestions, no links to websites please.

Stephen!
11-06-2008, 08:02 PM
The ONLY reason to get a laptop should be if you don't have room for a desktop, or you want the mobility. If you don't have either of those needs, get a desktop.

-Liam
11-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Desktop by far. Unless you actually travel, then get a desktop. Desktops run so much faster, and easier. Laptops run slower, but are obviously more efficient for travellers who use them on trains etc.

Aces
11-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh okay, I'm pretty sure I'm going with a desktop now.
Any recommendations?

Independent
11-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Laptop - So much easier, especially using wireless.

Saves you having to get out of bed, which I cant do anyway because my laptops broken, and I am using my tower ^^

Aces
11-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Laptop - So much easier, especially using wireless.

In that case, any recommendations?

Recursion
12-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Laptops are not easier - Their batteries die over time, over time can be like a year or two.

If anything goes wrong, the whole computer has to be replaced.

They aren't upgradeable.

Get a desktop.

HotelUser
12-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Laptops are not easier - Their batteries die over time, over time can be like a year or two.

If anything goes wrong, the whole computer has to be replaced.

They aren't upgradeable.

Get a desktop.

you get warranty when you get a laptop. (specific parts can be bought, Ebay is a good place to look.)

You can upgrade some things such as RAM. There's also in newer laptops with M-PCI connectors.

cocaine
12-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Desktop by far. Unless you actually travel, then get a desktop. Desktops run so much faster, and easier. Laptops run slower, but are obviously more efficient for travellers who use them on trains etc.

My laptop has 3GB RAM. My desktop has 1GB RAM.

My desktop has one processor. My laptop has Core 2 Duo processors.

My laptop is very mobile with built in wireless. My PC is not portable and does not have built in wireless

:P

I love laptops, because if it's a nice day, you can go outside with it, its wireless and my battery life is great (4 hours with wifi on all the time)

Digital
12-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Only get a laptop if you're going to be moving it alot.... Desktops are much better and faster, so i would go for a desktop if I was you

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I have the same problem lol, cept I already have a laptop and as much as I love it, I could get a 950 quid Desktop for about 500 quid. Means selling my laptop though... I like my laptop cuz I can move it around and stuff, but at the same time I like desktops cuz you can run better things on it + better storage than a 60GB HDD LOL.

Recursion
12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
you get warranty when you get a laptop. (specific parts can be bought, Ebay is a good place to look.)

You can upgrade some things such as RAM. There's also in newer laptops with M-PCI connectors.

Still have to send the whole thing back, you can't just use an old part like in a desktop for while.

Personally, I would never buy hardware second hand, but just my preference.

95% of laptops can only be upgradable in terms of RAM. 5%, if that can have upgradable GFX Cards, then what about heat if the new one produces more?

Aces
12-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Nobody's made a recommendation yet, I checked out AlienWare laptops.
Are they any good?

Recursion
12-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Alienware are like Apple Macs, you are paying for the brand.

xxMATTGxx
12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I shall say go for a desktop, Why? Well if you have room and don't want it to be mobile then go for it. Also it be easily to upgrade most or even all parts. Only go for the laptop if you want to go mobile/portable. Good Luck in buying! :)

Tawm; Nothing wrong buying brand, then again Mac user so meh. :P

Edit; Look at Dell/Acer/HP

Aces
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Alienware are like Apple Macs, you are paying for the brand.

I shall say go for a desktop, Why? Well if you have room and don't want it to be mobile then go for it. Also it be easily to upgrade most or even all parts. Only go for the laptop if you want to go mobile/portable. Good Luck in buying! :)

Tawm; Nothing wrong buying brand, then again Mac user so meh. :P

Edit; Look at Dell/Acer/HP

Okay, thanks for clearing that out.
I dont like Acer very much, so It's either Dell or HP

Leetzgirl
12-06-2008, 08:32 PM
What wrong with acer?

The Professor
12-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Dell is the safer brand, a bit like the PS3. Not the cheapest around and pretty dependable, but nothing to shout about. I don't have experience with HP so I can't say anything on that front, but I haven't heard many bad things about them

Aces
12-06-2008, 10:39 PM
What wrong with acer?
All my computers so far have been Acer, want to try something new.

thoushallbegod
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I have an HP laptop, I move it around like when I go up my dads and stuff so it's just better for it, it's on a desk with everything else and it's just handy lol

Leetzgirl
12-06-2008, 10:59 PM
All my computers so far have been Acer, want to try something new.

Fair enough,

Dell is a good choice,

Just asking, how much you planning you spend on your pc/laptop?

HotelUser
12-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Still have to send the whole thing back, you can't just use an old part like in a desktop for while.

Personally, I would never buy hardware second hand, but just my preference.

95% of laptops can only be upgradable in terms of RAM. 5%, if that can have upgradable GFX Cards, then what about heat if the new one produces more?

Where did you get those statistics?
Bulk sellers are also on eBay, so you don't necessary have to purchase used hardware.
Sure if the chipset breaks you need to replace it. If a piece of ram fails, or a harddrive (even a screen crack) you can replace it.

What wrong with acer?

I would read some user reviews on some of their laptops. Personally I've had an Acer with overheating problems, and weak screens. I'm not the only one with problems like this. I just find their laptops cheap and unreliable.

Others with the same issue as I had:
http://dev.osso.nl/herman/blog/2006/03/22/laptop-overheating-problems/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-handheld-25/overheating-then-sudden-shutdown-on-acer-laptop-491899/
http://forum.mypdacafe.com/viewtopic.php?t=10887
http://www.asklaptopfreak.com/laptop-notebook-help/2006/06/18/notebook-overheating/
http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/Acer-Aspire-3003NLMi-overheating-ftopict282493.html

I have since been given a Aspire Centrino Duo laptop and I'm using that now, though I have just removed the battery right from the device, and refuse to use it on battery power. If I use the overheating laptop I use it with a coldpack underneath. The keyboard even while just surfing the net gets too hot to touch.

Digital
13-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Dell is the safer brand, a bit like the PS3. Not the cheapest around and pretty dependable, but nothing to shout about. I don't have experience with HP so I can't say anything on that front, but I haven't heard many bad things about them

Plus it can always be sent back if theres any problems :)

Aces
13-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Fair enough,

Dell is a good choice,

Just asking, how much you planning you spend on your pc/laptop?

I'm not on like a very tight budget but something around 4000$ would be great.

Pyroka
13-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Plus it can always be sent back if theres any problems :)

Unlike Acer lol. I had the best time ever trying to contact Acer Customer Service. I waited like a month because I had to email their european office WHICH IS IN PLYMOUTH(?! >_>) so I gave up and took the damn thing apart and told my parents I needed a new laptop.

Funnily enough, it worked.

Aces
13-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Unlike Acer lol. I had the best time ever trying to contact Acer Customer Service. I waited like a month because I had to email their european office WHICH IS IN PLYMOUTH(?! >_>) so I gave up and took the damn thing apart and told my parents I needed a new laptop.

Funnily enough, it worked.
My experience with Acer has been better, not had a single hardware problem.
Had it for 1 year.

Leetzgirl
13-06-2008, 03:11 PM
2000 pounds.

Your better looking at a site like alienwere or whatever you spell it ;p

Aces
13-06-2008, 03:59 PM
2000 pounds.

Your better looking at a site like alienwere or whatever you spell it ;p
It's ware as in hardware.
& I dont really like paying for the brand and I like to get better specs instead.

GommeInc
13-06-2008, 04:04 PM

That's too much hassle, you may aswell get a desktop PC which is more reliable, upgradeable and does alot more. Unless you want to fork out a few thousand on a high-spec laptop, which is a waste when Aces hasn't said he wants something portable, which is the only real reason to get a laptop, something to throw around the room :P

Recursion
13-06-2008, 06:23 PM
again, Dell are brilliant.

HotelUser
13-06-2008, 06:34 PM
That's too much hassle, you may aswell get a desktop PC which is more reliable, upgradeable and does alot more. Unless you want to fork out a few thousand on a high-spec laptop, which is a waste when Aces hasn't said he wants something portable, which is the only real reason to get a laptop, something to throw around the room :P

If he doesn't care then he should go desktop, I'm simply defending laptops at the moment :P. I honestly find replacing a laptop screen easy.

Aces
13-06-2008, 07:03 PM
again, Dell are brilliant.
Yeah, I'm looking at the XPS series, now I just dont know which one to get :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!