PDA

View Full Version : (+10 REP FOR ALL HELP!!!) Computer Dead...

Ostinato
11-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey...

Some of you might remember my most recent post saying how I was worried I would lose all my photos and music as I thought my computer was dying... lol.

Well it happened whilst I was backing up... However in the end I was forced to do a format. I selected though, the "partial format" as it said it stores all your data and documents etc.

However, I can't seem to locate where it has apparently stored anything. I get a wee pop up when I log in where they are apparently held but there is nothing there apart from the data in the new, current accounts.

Unfortunately I have lost some really precious photographs. The music I am peed off about but I can get over.

I've downloaded thousands of "recovery file" programs, some of which actually did locate some of the photos and music and stuff I had lost from the partion of the hd.

However, I can't seem to get through a full completed search without it crashing again.

To be fair I have had the comp for a good few years now and I do plan to buy a new laptop fairly soon when I start University, but I really am desperate just to get these pics and music back.

Any suggestions from anyone? I'm even interested if anyone knows of anymore decent recovery programs that I could download and give a try (preferably not trial versions lol).

Also, when my comp loads up I am getting a wee message about a system32\ file is missing... lol.

My computer is still crashing from time to time and it's clear that it is really on it's last legs. However if I could just get those files back one last time and get a good backup made soon, I would be over the moon.

PLEASE HELP!!!

GearsOfWar
11-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I think it might be all them pictures of Christina and it's caused your computer to crash and blow the internal memory and your fan has blown up into millions of pieces.

Regards,
GearsOfWar

Ostinato
11-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Lol don't remind me that I have lost all my christina pics ;l

Well tbh it was like 15gb of pics and about 20-25 of music I think...

But I apparantly have like 180gb hd or something...

Ugawa
11-06-2008, 11:15 PM
This happened to my old computer, I don't think it's possible to get all the photos and music back with recovery programmes alone.

What i done is i had to take my laptop to the nearest computer store, It will cost about £50 probz less, depends where you go. But they can recover all recently lost items, or at least should be able to.

Advice i can give is obvious but nything important back up on a disc or memory stick or something, I learnt this the hard way. lol

Hope this helped

XX

Ostinato
11-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Well I managed to backup everything I could, but unfortunately as there were so many photos and everything I didn't have a big enough storage medium.

I then posted here trying to get some ideas where I could even upload online, but my computer just wasn't having it and died on me lol.

Well one of the programs actually found all of the music files which was impressive, but I can't afford to pay the £30 fee atm to get the full version (saving pennies for just about everything else in the world) so can't get them back. Another one also seemed to be getting my photos back, but the comp then crashed mid searching.

Mr.Sam
11-06-2008, 11:31 PM
in the future upload photos that mean a lot to the internet, for example get a flickr account and you can upload full size images and set them to privte so that only you can see them. meaning if you do lose everything you can just grab them from online.

on flickr you have 100mb max per month unless you buy premium.

Ostinato
11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Okay I think it's pretty clear I should have done some backups and stuff, I'm not stupid. I realise that. You saying it isn't going to alter the situation now, and in no way helps me to the problem I have actually posted about.

Mr.Sam
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I was only trying to help for the future ;l

if all those programs didn't find them I doubt someone with no access to your computer will be able to.

Okay I think it's pretty clear I should have done some backups and stuff, I'm not stupid. I realise that. You saying it isn't going to alter the situation now, and in no way helps me to the problem I have actually posted about.

Ostinato
11-06-2008, 11:56 PM
I was only trying to help for the future ;l

if all those programs didn't find them I doubt someone with no access to your computer will be able to.

Have you even read this thread?

I've said several times that a few of the programs did actually find them, it located all of my music and most of my pictures before the comp crashed again. I'm just asking for some alternatives - not a lecture about backup procedures when I have outlined I am already aware that I should have backed up in advance.

Mr.Sam
12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
yes I did read your thread.

try searching with just the finder program running close everything else down. system32 runs your computer, if you have files missing from there it's really bad. I suggest taking it to a local computer shop to have someone check over, they will have a better chance of locating your files too.

Have you even read this thread?

I've said several times that a few of the programs did actually find them, it located all of my music and most of my pictures before the comp crashed again. I'm just asking for some alternatives - not a lecture about backup procedures when I have outlined I am already aware that I should have backed up in advance.

Independent
12-06-2008, 04:45 AM
Or just get a website and upload backups of your computer regularly.

Stephen!
12-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Unless you have about 20mb upload speeds that's going to take a few weeks.

leah
12-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm rubbish at computers, but I know a real computer wiz,
I'll direct him to this thread, I'm sure he can help :)

Jack!
12-06-2008, 02:55 PM
If when you load up and this popup appears

1) try double clicking on it to sort it out ;)
2) try going into my computer -> System Programs (you may get summat telling you not to go here.Ignor it :p) then try looking for a file named the date you did the backup e.g 12/3/08 or looking for a file called backup

IF this osent help i may have a few more ideas but they are too long to write out so mabey post underneath saying so ;)

Ostinato
12-06-2008, 03:42 PM
If when you load up and this popup appears

1) try double clicking on it to sort it out ;)
2) try going into my computer -> System Programs (you may get summat telling you not to go here.Ignor it :p) then try looking for a file named the date you did the backup e.g 12/3/08 or looking for a file called backup

IF this osent help i may have a few more ideas but they are too long to write out so mabey post underneath saying so ;)

Nope, didnt work lol thanks

Jack!
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
lol urrm try searching for files or folder called backup OR mabey you could run the computer history. or these free programs that can find your files (or some of them) may be worth paying for OR do they tell you where they are e.g c:/program files/unisoft/wateva ?

StickMan
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
If you want to know if the computer still got ur stuff, then just see how many free space you got on the hard disk, if its almost everything free means, the files will be corrupted or unable to open, if you find that theres not much free stuff then just try to locate a picture by the name on Start/find (translated from spanish lol), and if you fiind 1 picture will be essay for you to find the rest.

Hope you get them back
Dan/

HotelUser
13-06-2008, 12:09 AM
If I understand your situation correctly, Windows installer has preserved the account folders preceding you recovering your computer (which means it has the desktop icons, documents and so on).

Just navigate to c:\documents and settings and find the folder which contains the user data from before you re-imaged.

Not sure if that is relevant for your situation, but it might be.

cunning
13-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Basic search doesn't help? When I restored my computer all the programs were uninstalled, but all the stuff was still in order, but just sorted in a way which took a little time to find, but it was all their.

Ostinato
13-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Basic search doesn't help? When I restored my computer all the programs were uninstalled, but all the stuff was still in order, but just sorted in a way which took a little time to find, but it was all their.

I didn't restore it though, I done a partial format.

Thanks for thelp anyway gonna start repping now.

I got a good registry cleaner and think the whole crashing thing might be dealt with now. Also managed to get an undelete program and its picking up loads of my pics and music and stuff by the seems of it, so I'll let it run and get a good scan this afternoon and let you know how it goes!

Independent
13-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Unless you have about 20mb upload speeds that's going to take a few weeks.
Backup the important files, so if need to re-format you won't have lost any important data.

mike475
13-06-2008, 10:06 PM
if you're actual hard drive is OK, take it out and put it in a reader and plug it into to a different PC and it should be fine and you'll be able to save your stuff.

Ostinato
13-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Managed to recover the majority of my photos (some have became corrupt).

Got the good moajority though so quite pleased with that...

Just trying to recover my music and I'll be happy =)

Cwmbran
14-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey...

Some of you might remember my most recent post saying how I was worried I would lose all my photos and music as I thought my computer was dying... lol.

Well it happened whilst I was backing up... However in the end I was forced to do a format. I selected though, the "partial format" as it said it stores all your data and documents etc.

However, I can't seem to locate where it has apparently stored anything. I get a wee pop up when I log in where they are apparently held but there is nothing there apart from the data in the new, current accounts.

Unfortunately I have lost some really precious photographs. The music I am peed off about but I can get over.

I've downloaded thousands of "recovery file" programs, some of which actually did locate some of the photos and music and stuff I had lost from the partion of the hd.

However, I can't seem to get through a full completed search without it crashing again.

To be fair I have had the comp for a good few years now and I do plan to buy a new laptop fairly soon when I start University, but I really am desperate just to get these pics and music back.

Any suggestions from anyone? I'm even interested if anyone knows of anymore decent recovery programs that I could download and give a try (preferably not trial versions lol).

Also, when my comp loads up I am getting a wee message about a system32\ file is missing... lol.

My computer is still crashing from time to time and it's clear that it is really on it's last legs. However if I could just get those files back one last time and get a good backup made soon, I would be over the moon.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Not sure if any of this has been said:

About the bit in bold, I'm pretty sure because you have that file missing it's causing your computer to crash. I'm unsure on how to replace this file there may be a download but the only way I know of getting it back is to reset the computer to it's factory settings.

To do with you music and pictures I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that your computer can only store so much through a system recovery and the computer picks some of the files and saves them. Really not sure about that part so if i'm wrong don't go slatting me. :P

Mint
14-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Ok, what you need to do is take it to PC World, they have a little room where thay can do pretty much anything with PC's. It might cost a little but if the pictures really mean a lot to you then its worth it.

Ostinato
16-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Not sure if any of this has been said:

About the bit in bold, I'm pretty sure because you have that file missing it's causing your computer to crash. I'm unsure on how to replace this file there may be a download but the only way I know of getting it back is to reset the computer to it's factory settings.

To do with you music and pictures I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that your computer can only store so much through a system recovery and the computer picks some of the files and saves them. Really not sure about that part so if i'm wrong don't go slatting me. :P

Well ever since I did the whole registyr fixer thing I don't get the wee popup anymore and it hasen't crashed.

In all honesty I think I may have hade a virus that mucked up the registry causing me to crash and reformat in the first place! lol

I'm just so glad I have got the majority of my pics back, minus a few corrupt ones that I can cope with! :)

Mint
16-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Ok, what you need to do is take it to PC World, they have a little room where thay can do pretty much anything with PC's. It might cost a little but if the pictures really mean a lot to you then its worth it.
Have you not tried what I just said? ^ They would have it all done in no time. :)

DaveTaylor
16-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I aint on my pc at the moment so bare with me the advise might be alittle shady here as I can't remember it off by heart, from what I can gather (and i am tired so again bare with me ) you partitioned your hard drive which means you should still have some data, what you can do is locate the program called "disk management" and see if your windows system locates the other partition, if you does/doesn't reply obviously and we can go to stage 2 :P

FlyingJesus
17-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Al as if none of your pics were "corrupt" to begin with ;)

Ostinato
17-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Have you not tried what I just said? ^ They would have it all done in no time. :)

Do you think your seriously some sort of genious because you can suggest taking it to a computer shop to get it fixed?

Seriously, if I was gonna just take it to pc world to fix it then I wouldn't be posting here, I am pretty sure I could have came up with that idea all on my own thanks.

Lmao tom you know me too well ;P (Shame half of the pics are of you though...)

You
17-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Do you think your seriously some sort of genious because you can suggest taking it to a computer shop to get it fixed?

Seriously, if I was gonna just take it to pc world to fix it then I wouldn't be posting here, I am pretty sure I could have came up with that idea all on my own thanks.

Lmao tom you know me too well ;P (Shame half of the pics are of you though...)
lol, moody!

Ostinato
17-06-2008, 03:21 PM
lol, moody!

pmsl maybe I was a wee bit harsh - but no wonder! It's so frustraing when people are all like "OMG I KNOW! TK IT TO DA COMP SHOP" as though they are the only one capable of thinking up such a crap answer lol.

It's like if I was gonna do that I wouldn't be posting would I?

You
17-06-2008, 03:33 PM
pmsl maybe I was a wee bit harsh - but no wonder! It's so frustraing when people are all like "OMG I KNOW! TK IT TO DA COMP SHOP" as though they are the only one capable of thinking up such a crap answer lol.

It's like if I was gonna do that I wouldn't be posting would I?
Maybe, i don't know how scottish minds work!! :P

DaveTaylor
17-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Did you read my bit :rolleyes:

FlyingJesus
17-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Tell him no lol

Leetzgirl
17-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I aint on my pc at the moment so bare with me the advise might be alittle shady here as I can't remember it off by heart, from what I can gather (and i am tired so again bare with me ) you partitioned your hard drive which means you should still have some data, what you can do is locate the program called "disk management" and see if your windows system locates the other partition, if you does/doesn't reply obviously and we can go to stage 2 :P

^^ what he says

Ostinato
17-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Got all my music back using the recovery program :)

This is the first time I have had a chance to let it fully run and complete the scan and as my registry is all fixed now it hasen't crashed

Thanks for help

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!