PDA

View Full Version : Building a PC

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok, so I'm building a pc, what graphics card would you recommend, I'm going to with two Q6600's, and this lush case.

Also what motherboard do you recommend, I'd need about 2 PCIe slots, and one PCI 2.0 slot.

This is in addition to my Mac Pro, as a legacy/gaming machine.

Monitor-wise:

I'm thinking about getting 1x 30", 2x 22" for my mac pro and 1x 24" for the pc eg

ASCII FAILED!.
Mac Pro

Sideways 22" 30" Sideways 22"

PC
24"

Then theres my iMac, laptop & other pc, and 22" and 19", The iMac will be used for something, and the pc will power something, probably some power heavy app.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your answers!

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Only thing I can reccomend is not to buy 2 Quadcores, which I think is what you're doing. There's no point, hardly any games use all 4 cores anyway nevermind 8.

I'd ebay a good graphics card tbh, I don't know much about GFX cards but go on Ebay and find one, they're usually dirt cheap and overclocked.

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Ah ok, also, 32 bit or 64 bit..Vista..XP..Ubuntu?

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 12:19 PM
If you wanna play games, I say 32-bit. Vista is good since you can play games which would work on XP too, just don't go for 64 bit... It's really not worth it.

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
#1, why the hell would you even get two quad cores?
#2, quit bragging that you have an iMac and Mac Pro, no one asked.

#3, if you are building one, you are going to need a hell of a lot more then a case, motherboard, and processor. Heatsink? Fans? Power supply? Sound card?

#4, You don't need an x64 system, all you will do is whine that some of your stuff won' work. Get an x32 and 2GB of ram, as x32 OS's can only access 3GB.

Don't get Ubuntu on a computer you are going to use alot, most of your applications won't work, and you will have to get open source applications to do what you want to do.

The learning curve is going to be too big for you to enjoy it, so stick with Windows for now.

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 12:35 PM
#1, why the hell would you even get two quad cores?
#2, quit bragging that you have an iMac and Mac Pro, no one asked.

#3, if you are building one, you are going to need a hell of a lot more then a case, motherboard, and processor. Heatsink? Fans? Power supply? Sound card?

#4, You don't need an x64 system, all you will do is whine that some of your stuff won' work. Get an x32 and 2GB of ram, as x32 OS's can only access 3GB.

Don't get Ubuntu on a computer you are going to use alot, most of your applications won't work, and you will have to get open source applications to do what you want to do.

The learning curve is going to be too big for you to enjoy it, so stick with Windows for now.

Bit harsh but you're spot on as always. :P Best to buy a futureproof motherboard, so it'll cost you a few bob. Since you live in america you'll need a good cooling system since in the summer it's going to overheat alot more than it should. Uhh, PSU I'd reccomend as 650W and that should be around 20 quid.... 40 dollars or summint, idk. Go onto Ebuyer, create an account and start building a wishlist so you get an idea of how much this is going to cost you lol.

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 12:37 PM
E-Buyers is only UK noob :P

650W sounds good, but it doesn't overheat here muc if you have the A/C running.

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Is it? Aw sucks to be you guys haha. I think Amazon would be your next best bet then? Or Ebay, lovely lovely Ebay. <3 I don't have AC in my room sadly, but I guess knocking out the front of my house would be a good substitute.

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 12:48 PM
We have central cooling... those are obvious things... other than a sound board, why the heck would I need that? Its not a recording studio and modern motherboards have a good enough built in sound card for even the hardcorest rockers.

I definitely wasn't bragging, I was trying to tell you my future setup.

The learning curve is going to be too big for youWhy are you such an ________? Do you have anything else to do?

Do you know anything about what I already know? No? Ok then.

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
We have central cooling... those are obvious things... other than a sound board, why the heck would I need that? Its not a recording studio and modern motherboards have a good enough built in sound card for even the hardcorest rockers.

Why are you such an ________? Do you have anything else to do?

LOL It's better to have a good soundcard tbh... Some motherboards actually come with highly enabled soundcards depending on what motherboard you buy. You didn't mention you had central cooling, which is why he suggested it, we're only trying to help lol.

You were asking for help by the sounds of it tbh, not showing off your future setup.

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Sorry, I always seem to get feisty with Caleb. *refrains*

Independent
12-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Why the **** would you waste money on buying two macs, if only you are going to use them.

Fair enough for PC's as their cheap, macs are great but expensive.

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Why are you such an ________? Do you have anything else to do?

Quit acting like you're hard, you're really not.. you are making yourself look stupid.

You come here asking for help, I provide you with decent and valid help, and you go back to your idiot self.

You didn't tell us you had central cooling, you didn't tell us anything, your first post was really a load of trash as you didn't tell us anything you had, other then asking us to build a PC for you.. because you don't seem to know exactly what you need.

Sound board? What the ****. It is a sound card, and a good sound card is great. Onboard sound sucks ***. My computer has a Sony HD 7.1 sound card, you try to get sound like that on onboard.

Plus the Bose speakers, you don't get much more HD.

Be a man and quit using _____ in place of words you don't know how to use, you're acting like a sad 13 year old who thinks he knows something, oh wait.. you are.

About Ubuntu,
Again.. you didn't tell us what you already know, it seems like you just pulled a random OS, or one you heard of, out of your head.

I know, because you would end up not liking Ubuntu, or not knowing how to use it (which seems possible with your tiny brain :rolleyes:), and then come whining to us to tell you how to fix it. Or maybe you could just test Ubuntu's divs.

Owned.

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I meant it as:

We have central cooling. And the components your talking about are obvious things.

I've used Ubuntu, but you assume I'm a ****** "The learning curve is too big?"

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I meant it as:

We have central cooling. And the components your talking about are obvious things.

I've used Ubuntu, but you assume I'm a ****** "The learning curve is too big?"

Well, you probably are, the learning curve from developing on Windows to Linux is a pain in the ***, and a new thing, and thats not what you need.

If you are planning on using Linux, you need to rethink which components you buy, and if they have Linux drivers, and/or support Linux.

The components I am talking about are obvious things, but if you want us to help tell you which is ****, you need to tell us what the **** you are going to buy.

Or like I said, you will be here whining again "WHY WONT IT WORKSZ!"

Wasn't fiesty until I found out how... nothing.

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Charlie, we don't know your knowledge of how to build a computer so why call them obvious things when maybe to you, or any user who has never built a PC before, might not know about the components? Sorry to bite your balls off, but we're trying to help and you're just acting like you know it all so why even bloody ask in the first place? =/

Ubuntu isn't good if you want to play games like Caleb said, now stop being immature and quoting him. Turning his words against him isn't a good idea, hell look how far it's gotten you.

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Charlie, we don't know your knowledge of how to build a computer so why call them obvious things when maybe to you, or any user who has never built a PC before, might not know about the components? Sorry to bite your balls off, but we're trying to help and you're just acting like you know it all so why even bloody ask in the first place? =/

Ubuntu isn't good if you want to play games like Caleb said, now stop being immature and quoting him. Turning his words against him isn't a good idea, hell look how far it's gotten you.

He reminds me of DarrenToogood in the photography and D&D section.
Yeah Ubuntu, or any Linux isn't good for playing games, and neither is Mac.

I agree, turning my words against me isn't a very smart idea ;) I hope he don't make me go into super-own mood, where I could own him up one side and down the other..

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
What graphics card do you think I should get?

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I think you should quit changing the subject, and reply.

I think you should get a video card. One with memory. One made out of circuit boards.. one you buy.

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Well what games do you want to play and I'm sure someone could suggest something? :P

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 01:22 PM
COD4 mostly. I'll be using the mac for work, etc. This will be solely for gaming and maybe useful for some other things.

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I have an ATI, but I don't play games that much, it has two DVI outs, one S-Video, one set of components, and an HDMI out.

Takes up two PCI slots.

Get a NVIDIA 9800 GX2

Core Clock (MHz) Shader Clock (MHz) Memory Clock (MHz) Memory Amount Memory Interface Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec)
9800 GX2 600 1500 1000 1 GB 512-bit 128 76.8

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
COD4 mostly. I'll be using the mac for work, etc. This will be solely for gaming and maybe useful for some other things.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BFG-nVidia-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B000Y180XE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213219738&sr=8-1

Stephen reccomended that for Rockstar in a previous thread, Tawn uses it to play COD4 too so that should be fine for you. Quite cheap too. Or go with Caleb's suggestion LOL.

Hypertext
12-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Cheap for what it is.

Thanks guys I'll think about that card.

gotta go to work bye

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
YOU WORK?! Get outta hereee...

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
YOU WORK?! Get outta hereee...
He thinks he works for a big social network site in Chicago making $40 an hour.. he is like 13.

Pyroka
12-06-2008, 01:37 PM
He thinks he works for a big social network site in Chicago making $40 an hour.. he is like 13.

*giggle* no comment. I've known Charlie irl because he used to go my school anyway lol, I'll always remember the day he found out I went on Habbo... :')

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 02:53 PM
*giggle* no comment. I've known Charlie irl because he used to go my school anyway lol, I'll always remember the day he found out I went on Habbo... :')
How did that go? :P

Stephen!
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
lol you got cautioned

Dentafrice
12-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah, thats stupid. Charlie knows i'm joking, and i'm just harsh ^_^

Recursion
12-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I can't be bothered to read the whole thread.

You seam to be another "Danny", trying to show off?

Two Q6600s is stupid.

All those monitors will be over £1000 on their own.

64-BIT is the best for everything.

9800GX2 is crap and will be outdated any day now.

Yes I know I am not using proper paragraphs, I couldn't care less :D

Now I cannot be infracted as I did help you and wasn't rude in anyway :D

Hypertext
13-06-2008, 01:36 AM
Back.

Oh, Caleb. We went through this before, idc whether you believe me or not. Lol ryan.. memories :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!