PDA

View Full Version : Reminder: Portable Device Skin & [timg] Image Tags

Nick.
13-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Hey There,

You may remember a little while ago I posted these threads;
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=473689
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=464961

Well, seen as though the forum is 'changing' and administrators are beginning to listen to our views, I thought it would be a good idea to post a new thread reminding the administrators of the ideas, and the benefits and usefulness it would bring to the forum. It's much better then bumping two large, over complicated threads.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The Portable Device Skin

What is it?
A skin which contains little/no graphics to help portable devices load the forum pages quicker, essentially saving time. Portable devices often struggle with the amount of images on the forum.

Why?
With the increase of the use of portable devices such as iPod Touch's, iPhones, Blackberry's, PSP's and other such portable internet browsing devices, this is an essential improvement Habbox could/needs to work on. It would please the majority of the forum and add further 'uniqueness' to the forum and community.

How?
In the thread, a member posted this link to a skin, available for download on the vBulletin website.
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151186
"Requires no effort.", states the creator.

Please note that the link posted is for vBulletin version 3.6.10, however a 3.7 version can be found here:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174375

Although this is still in BETA stage, it would be good to add it to some sort of TO-DO list in the administrators forum to watch out for a stable release, which will be coming sometime soon.

This thread may also be of interest; http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173239 - it redirects users on portable devices to the skin, therefore saving time changing it on your portable device. Although it is still in BETA, it would be a good idea to add it to some sort of TO-DO list and watch out for a stable release!

Conclusion
This new add-on would be a great addition to the forum and would please a majority of users, and what for? 5 minutes of time! If you made this a VIP only feature, it could increase the cash income for HxF. It all works out great. Why not?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

[TIMG] Tags

What is it?
Simple, a user places the image in specific tags and it reduces the size of the image to an administrator set size. This would help users who have small screen resolutions. It would also be useful for the "Post your desktop" threads. A user could click the image to see it larger, if they wished.

Why?
It would help users with smaller screen resolutions and would prevent stretching the forum page, which is sometimes very annoying.

How?
I found this cool add on on the vBulletin website:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=176531
It supports vBulletin 3.7 and is a stable release. The administrator can set a resize size and a user clicks a bar to see the image in full size.
Example: http://www.techsupportteam.org/forum/15625-post55.html

Conclusion
This would be a great addition to the forum, and would help users who get annoyed with the page stretching and users with small resolution screens. It could also be of benefit to users on portable devices!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I understand Habbox Forum don't like adding plug-ins and add-on's. However these are small plug-ins and once the Portable device skin is stable, there would be minimal risk.

This concludes my post. Please post your opinions and how you think this situation could/should be handled.

Thanks,
Nick.

kk.
13-06-2008, 09:55 PM
both suggestions are needed in my view. The thumbnail would be a great addition to the whoole of the design and technology section whereas the skin will benefit everyone. installing one skin wont affect anyone and the only thing that would be a burdon is having to switch between that and the skin you use on a computer

Nick.
13-06-2008, 09:58 PM
both suggestions are needed in my view. The thumbnail would be a great addition to the whoole of the design and technology section whereas the skin will benefit everyone. installing one skin wont affect anyone and the only thing that would be a burdon is having to switch between that and the skin you use on a computer

This thread may also be of interest; http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173239 - it redirects users on portable devices to the skin, therefore saving time changing it on your portable device. Although it is still in BETA, it would be a good idea to add it to some sort of TO-DO list and watch out for a stable release!

There's your answer. :)

kk.
13-06-2008, 10:04 PM
lol, i couldnt be bothered to click the vB links. im guessing you jsut added that :P

Nick.
13-06-2008, 10:06 PM
lol, i couldnt be bothered to click the vB links. im guessing you jsut added that :P
No, been there since the first submission of my thread. lol:P

Plank
13-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I think they are both great ideas.

brandon
13-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Both are decent suggestions that I'd like to see implemented.

samsaBEAR
13-06-2008, 11:24 PM
:D i was going to do something like this
i dont think the portable skin should be VIP only, thats unfair, but other than that you know im in agreement with both of them, i keep raising the subject whenever i can :D

Prof-Alex
13-06-2008, 11:34 PM
If I remember rightly wasn't nvr looking into the iphone skin?

GommeInc
14-06-2008, 12:11 AM
As I said in my council report many moons ago, both are good ideas and both wanted, the demand is there so I don't see why not :D

And I strongly disagree with it being a VIP only feature, how would that work? Non-VIPs use iPhones, iPod Touchs, PDAs, PSPs and other internet worthy devices too, so I strongly disagree with that. Especially when you're suggesting non-VIPs with portable devices should be demanded to pay for VIP to use their devices...

DaveTaylor
14-06-2008, 12:13 AM
I aint paying for VIP just for portable use, EDGE is slow, but it aint that slow :P

Invent
14-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I've offered to make a an iPod forum skin for MAD, but I've had no reply as of yet :P (In case he doesn't want to install skins/mods from untrusted sources).

Jam
14-06-2008, 01:54 AM
I like going online on my PSP so not having to wait 20 seconds for a page you've just been on after pressing back would be good.

Sabbath
14-06-2008, 03:34 AM
:rolleyes:Back to waiting for 5 days for a reply, then getting told its too much work.

xxMATTGxx
14-06-2008, 04:49 AM
As i said before, I would love to see both ideas/suggestions to go in to place. Because the portable skin will really be useful to me as i surf the internet a lot on my mobile and iPod Touch and the TIMG plugin will help all members with smaller screens or just don't want to see BIG large photos posted in threads.

---MAD---
14-06-2008, 06:09 AM
I am going to look into the skin thing in the next few days and also set up a poll to see who actually uses mobile devices to access the forum.

I am not so sure about the tags though. vBulletin offers a lightbox view of attachments uploaded onto the forum already. I know the tag you are talking about is slightly different though because it applies to images not uploaded onto the forum.

Jamesy
14-06-2008, 06:50 AM
I have seen img_thumb tags on other forums.

msb.
14-06-2008, 03:23 PM
nice idea but the poll is bias.

it doesn't give an option saying "no".

a should question should have a "no" option.

BUT nice idea.

Jamesy
14-06-2008, 03:32 PM
nice idea but the poll is bias.

it doesn't give an option saying "no".

a should question should have a "no" option.

BUT nice idea.

if you don't want one don't vote :P

GommeInc
14-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Exactly what I was going to say, although anyone who views this thread should for a yes on something, unless they're selfish :P

Recursion
14-06-2008, 08:49 PM
I want both of these too. I use my Mobile phone and iPod Touch to browse the forums regularly.

Sabbath
15-06-2008, 04:42 PM
I would just use the skin, even if Im not on a portable device. It would be really useful.

Nick.
23-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Any developments on these two ideas?

msb.
23-06-2008, 06:56 PM
if you don't want one don't vote :P
Okay fair enough but if asking for our feedback, surely there should be a
"no option"...

Edit: Nvm Ignore me, I won't vote :)

Nick.
12-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Any developments on these ideas which have been totally blanked for so long?

Xarea
12-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Any developments on these ideas which have been totally blanked for so long?

Management developing on our ideas? You must be mad.

Hayd93
12-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I think this really should be considered especially the portable skin. With the 3G iphone now released and the app store for iphone and ipod touch more people will be getting handheld devices like this.

Test:Tube:Baby
12-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I think this really should be considered especially the portable skin. With the 3G iphone now released and the app store for iphone and ipod touch more people will be getting handheld devices like this.
Indeed, I'm still sick of waiting half an hour (slight exaggeration) for the forum to load on my PSP.

I hope some progress has been made with the portable skin, it's a shame to blank out such a popular idea :(

Plank
12-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Agreed with the above. Why is it taking so long?

joshuar
12-07-2008, 04:35 PM
The mobile skin is good, but when it's on here it will be a bit overwhelming with the amount of forums that are in use.

I will start modifying it and see if it can be made a bit more useable.

EDIT: Just realised I hadn't installed the CSS onto it, looks abit better now.

Florx
12-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Make it public then we can comment on what needs changing e.t.c. :)

The Professor
12-07-2008, 05:02 PM
:o It exists?! I didn't know that, I thought MAD said it wasn't going to happen :P I wanna see it now, planning on getting a PSP soonish.

joshuar
12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I've only got it on my localhost to test it out and to see how it looks. I am modifying it as it has been built rather oddly, it could have been built using the vBulletin Style Editor.

Nothing official yet, just my own fun :P

PaulMacC
12-07-2008, 06:03 PM
I'd like one because I usually check the forum on my PSP before I go to bed.

Nereo
12-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I want it!! Get it! :P

Rixion
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
interesting idea.

samsaBEAR
13-07-2008, 01:59 PM
yey! developments at last!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!