PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 is the game of the century

Fez
16-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Why?

Because this game made me scared, a section involving a 'microwave corridor' will push you to your gaming limits and stretch your emotional expectations from a video game. The final battle with Liquid is possibly the greatest experince I've ever gone through, it made me sob and angry and then a feeling of acomplishment.

MGS4 made me sad, angry, scared, think, laugh and it is as close we are going to get to gaming perfection... until MGS5 : Battling Arthritis arrives.

P.S the ending will make you sob, trust me.

Monkwrestler
16-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Why?

Because this game made me scared, a section involving a 'microwave corridor' will push you to your gaming limits and stretch your emotional expectations from a video game. The final battle with Liquid is possibly the greatest experince I've ever gone through, it made me sob and angry and then a feeling of acomplishment.

MGS4 made me sad, angry, scared, think, laugh and it is as close we are going to get to gaming perfection... until MGS5 : Battling Arthritis arrives.

IMO it is the new ocarina of time or or golden eye it is simply one of the best if not the best game of this generation console!

Misawa
16-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I was never interested by Metal Gear Solid, although the latest looks quite good. I don't want to get it though as I haven't played the others and therefore have no idea what the story is, etc.

Technologic
16-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Is it true the last level of the mgs saga is in shadow moses? as the 1st level in mgs 1 was in shadow moses

Fez
16-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Is it true the last level of the mgs saga is in shadow moses? as the 1st level in mgs 1 was in shadow moses

I'm not saying ;)

PaulMacC
16-06-2008, 10:27 PM
My brother has a PS3 and I played it for a while, not really intrested knew the story but it was an alright game. You cant say it's the new Ocarina of Time, that game was unforgetable and you cant put anything on top of ot.

MrPinkPanther
17-06-2008, 07:15 AM
You cant say its the game of the century yet, its been out for what, less than a week? You can only say that in a few years time with retrospect, most games dont hold up that long. I personally prefered MGS2 anyway, it had a more exciting and random story in my opinion.

Misawa
17-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I saw the trailer. Snake looks like a geriatric fool, and the way the game is presented is completely influenced by 24.

Dentafrice
17-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Why?

You watched after the credits right? :rolleyes: Poor Zero.. but he needed it.

Not the very last level.. but it is pretty hard if your night vision dies, and to see the boss, you need to look right at her without NV, unless shes comes out of her little rocket.

The snowstorms are awesome.

Jordan3606
18-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Game of the century?!

Game of the millenium more like!! xD

This is honestly the best game I have ever played, I'm on Act 4 now and my fav boss battle so far is the laughing octopus, god that was scary :O

kk.
18-06-2008, 05:57 PM
i was about to ask what people though of this because it got almost straight 10s on IGN, (ended up being 9.9 but ah well) and reading some of the reviews on websites, they really liked it. I have to save up about £341. I have 140 atm lol. 100 on friday, so only 60 more to go :(

Dentafrice
18-06-2008, 05:57 PM
The hardest one for me was in Outer Haven with Screaming Mantis or at Shadow Moses with Raging Raven

Misawa
18-06-2008, 06:07 PM
And whether you all like it or not, Grand Theft Auto IV won that title tenfold.

Dentafrice
18-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Grand Theft Auto IV isn't better then MGS4, I have beat MGS4 and am currently playing GTA IV, and there is no way.

MGS4 beats GTA IV hands down. The graphics are 50 times better, I don't have to adjust my brightness just to see 5 feet in front of me on the game.

You just wait till the awards, we'll see who wins.

Misawa
18-06-2008, 06:27 PM
It's all about the money, and GTA has had ratings better than MGS, as well as being the most successful video game of all time. GTA is game of the generation.

Dentafrice
18-06-2008, 06:34 PM
If you haven't noticed, those ratings are based on a timescale.

GTA was released April 29, whereas MGS4 as released June 12.

Of course it is going to be more successful at the moment, its only been out 6 ******* days.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots sales record in the U.S have yet to be seen but it topped some records in the U.K. MGS4 has beat Grand Theft Auto: IV at sales. That's right GTA: IV the game with the colossal fanbase was beaten by MGS4!

GTA may not be the most successful game of all time for long, MGS4 is here, and it has already taken GTA by storm. MGS4 is the game of the century..

Jericho
18-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I played this and tbh, what you said is pretty sad. Dont you get out?

Its a video game, a very good video game. But far from game of the century, far from game of the year.

Good, but you exaggerated it in my opinion.

And its not better than Ocarina of time :l

So far, my personal game of the year is GTA IV. Then Rockband, then MGS, but its very close.

Dentafrice
18-06-2008, 06:45 PM
I played this and tbh, what you said is pretty sad. Dont you get out?

Its a video game, a very good video game. But far from game of the century, far from game of the year.

Good, but you exaggerated it in my opinion.

And its not better than Ocarina of time :l

So far, my personal game of the year is GTA IV. Then Rockband, then MGS, but its very close.
I get out quite a bit, probably more then you do, and at the current time I have bronchitis which I have to stay home, so I have decided to play video games.

I rented MGS4, I played it, and it was by far the best game I have ever played. If you have played the entire MG series, you will know why, as you have to know the whole story to realize how great it is.

How is it far from game of the year? GTA IV and MGS4 as now 'basically' the two nominees for GOTY.

Everyone has their own opinion.

Misawa
18-06-2008, 06:45 PM
International sales of GTA will not be beaten by MGS and you are incredibly foolish to believe so. You're putting your favouritism forward rather than what is obvious. People weren't queing for hours outside of shops and there were no grand openings for Metal Gear Solid, were there? You are insurmountably shortsighted if you honestly believe GTA will be financially beaten.

Dentafrice
18-06-2008, 06:51 PM
:rolleyes:

MGS4 was not marketed strongly, as Sony knows that once word spread, sales would boom, and they have. If you check any of the popular gaming sites you would see num. articles about MGS4, and how great it is, which causes more people to go buy it.

GTA IV was released for PS3 and 360, two consoles, not one like MGS4.

MGS was around before GTA ever was, which left a lot of the gamers hanging onto the story, for a long period of time, which they will buy MGS4 to finally end the story, and reveal the massive endings that each part of the story has.

GTA may not be financially beaten, but on the fun scale, MGS4 has it beat already.

We'll see.. its only been six days and it has beaten it in the UK, we'll see about international sales.

----------------------

GTA's storyline is both predictable and boring, work for guy, kill guy, work for guy, betrayed by guy.
MGS4 has a captivating story, awesome gameplay, great online, and better replay value.

You also have to count in how many people have traded in GTA just to get MGS4, which isn't shown in the sales records, as well as people who bought GTA and returned it.

American Idol is the best rated show on TV, with the most people watching it, does that make it the best? No.. quit being ignorant and just basing everything on sales.. just because one game sales more then another doesn't mean it is the best..

I could buy 1,000,000 copies of GTA and it would boost the sales up, that doesn't make it the best, all in all it is a number, and not the actual 'enjoyment' of the game.

If you want repetitive and same-ol-same-ol storyline, get GTA IV.

If you want an actual story, and something that makes you grab on to the edge of your seat during movie-quality cutscenes, get MSG4.

I guess all you GTA IV fanboys just can't handle something as hardcore as MGS4.

---------------------

I would suggest each and everyone of you who think you know something take a class in business and revenue analysis, because you don't know a damn thing you are talking about.

EDIT: It shows how pathetic you are when you leave a -REP saying fool over a ******* video game, that really shows how mature you are ;)

Jericho
18-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Dentafrice, wasn't I speaking to you mate, lmao, sorry, your a alreet person so im very sorry. I simply forgot to quote the TS. :<

Sorry, wasn't directed to you! :P

Dentafrice
18-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Dentafrice, wasn't I speaking to you mate, lmao, sorry, your a alreet person so im very sorry. I simply forgot to quote the TS. :<

Sorry, wasn't directed to you! :P
Its cool :P Thought you was. +REP for being honest.

Misawa
18-06-2008, 07:02 PM
:rolleyes:

MGS4 was not marketed strongly, as Sony knows that once word spread, sales would boom, and they have. If you check any of the popular gaming sites you would see num. articles about MGS4, and how great it is, which causes more people to go buy it.

GTA IV was released for PS3 and 360, two consoles, not one like MGS4.

MGS was around before GTA ever was, which left a lot of the gamers hanging onto the story, for a long period of time, which they will buy MGS4 to finally end the story, and reveal the massive endings that each part of the story has.

GTA may not be financially beaten, but on the fun scale, MGS4 has it beat already.

We'll see.. its only been six days and it has beaten it in the UK, we'll see about international sales.

----------------------

GTA's storyline is both predictable and boring, work for guy, kill guy, work for guy, betrayed by guy.
MGS4 has a captivating story, awesome gameplay, great online, and better replay value.

You also have to count in how many people have traded in GTA just to get MGS4, which isn't shown in the sales records, as well as people who bought GTA and returned it.

American Idol is the best rated show on TV, with the most people watching it, does that make it the best? No.. quit being ignorant and just basing everything on sales.. just because one game sales more then another doesn't mean it is the best..

I could buy 1,000,000 copies of GTA and it would boost the sales up, that doesn't make it the best, all in all it is a number, and not the actual 'enjoyment' of the game.

If you want repetitive and same-ol-same-ol storyline, get GTA IV.

If you want an actual story, and something that makes you grab on to the edge of your seat during movie-quality cutscenes, get MSG4.

I guess all you GTA IV fanboys just can't handle something as hardcore as MGS4.

---------------------

I would suggest each and everyone of you who think you know something take a class in business and revenue analysis, because you don't know a damn thing you are talking about.

EDIT: It shows how pathetic you are when you leave a -REP saying fool over a ******* video game, that really shows how mature you are ;)

Sorry, I am not a fanboy - and it's called fact. I didn't leave you -rep? AND, sorry to disappoint you, but Grand Theft Auto was released at least a year before the first MSG.

Dentafrice
18-06-2008, 07:05 PM
If you would learn to read I said MG, sorry to disappoint you. Read before you try to act smart.

Metal Gear was originally released in 1987 ;) That is when the entire story starts, and where MGS4 finishes the things left behind in the MSX2 edition.

You can reply with all the ******** you want to try and make you look smart, but when you haven't even seen the MGS4 sales yet, as they haven't been released, you can't make any judgement. You have to give it more then six days.

MrPinkPanther
18-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Metal gear came way before GTA, whoever came first is irrelevant anyway, Sonic came before them all and most people would agree his games are pretty poor now.

MGS4 is good but its foolish to judge it until a few years time looking back. Its like GTA 4 everyone was like OMG BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED and its starting to show cracks allready a couple of weeks after release. I think MGS4 has a chance of being GOTY as there arent that many big contenders so far although who knows what will be announced at E3 but I seriously doubt it will hold up as well as LoZ etc

Jericho
18-06-2008, 07:20 PM
To be honest. People will find cracks with MGS4, as with every game.

I just hope the GOTY award goes to a worthy winner, like MGS or GTA. Not to some crappy wii game.

MrPinkPanther
18-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I just hope the GOTY award goes to a worthy winner, like MGS or GTA. Not to some crappy wii game.
Stupid comment considering the Wii has some of the most critcially acclaimed games but I agree it should go to MGS not GTA though, its just uninspired, they havent advanced it in anyway. Atleast MGS has a good storyline.

Monkwrestler
21-06-2008, 12:19 AM
Wii games tend to be very inavative BTW almost everyone in my IT course who has a PS3 (9/21) (excludiing me I just bought it O.-) traded GTA4 in for MGS4.

Technologic
21-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Just completed it.. amazinnggg

Emjin
22-06-2008, 08:38 PM
My boyfriend is begging me to help him pay for a PS3 for his birthday to play this ONE game, :rolleyes:... but would it be worth it?

Technologic
22-06-2008, 08:43 PM
My boyfriend is begging me to help him pay for a PS3 for his birthday to play this ONE game, :rolleyes:... but would it be worth it?
Yes it would, he will make many babies with you if you do

Emjin
25-06-2008, 04:20 PM
...Think I'll leave it then :rolleyes:

Neil
25-06-2008, 07:23 PM
If you would learn to read I said MG, sorry to disappoint you. Read before you try to act smart.

Metal Gear was originally released in 1987 ;) That is when the entire story starts, and where MGS4 finishes the things left behind in the MSX2 edition.

You can reply with all the ******** you want to try and make you look smart, but when you haven't even seen the MGS4 sales yet, as they haven't been released, you can't make any judgement. You have to give it more then six days.

Lol you didn't say MG you said MGS :rolleyes:

I agree with Misawa, you're a massive MGS fanboy, whether you like it or not GTA4 is bigger, whether it's better is down to opinion, personally I think MGS games are rubbish

You also say how the story to GTA is predictable "work for guy, kill guy, work for guy, betrayed by guy." in GTA4 it wasn't as predictable, you only say that because you've played GTA and you know the story, before hand you wouldn't have a clue

To be quite honest with you MGS games are horribly made and boring as hell, if anything they should be books, they can have pretty graphics and a decent story but the gameplay of all the MGS games (I've played them all apart from 4) are terrible, I've seen reviews that confirm the same problem with MGS4

You are a fanboy, you are trying to argue against facts with opinions, if anyone is trying to look smart it's you, Misawa knows what he's talking about, if you like the game fine, but not everyone in the whole world plays a game for a story, that's what books are for, you play a game for gameplay, something I find MGS games seriously lack

Frodo13.
25-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Lol you didn't say MG you said MGS :rolleyes:

I agree with Misawa, you're a massive MGS fanboy, whether you like it or not GTA4 is bigger, whether it's better is down to opinion, personally I think MGS games are rubbish

You also say how the story to GTA is predictable "work for guy, kill guy, work for guy, betrayed by guy." in GTA4 it wasn't as predictable, you only say that because you've played GTA and you know the story, before hand you wouldn't have a clue

To be quite honest with you MGS games are horribly made and boring as hell, if anything they should be books, they can have pretty graphics and a decent story but the gameplay of all the MGS games (I've played them all apart from 4) are terrible, I've seen reviews that confirm the same problem with MGS4

You are a fanboy, you are trying to argue against facts with opinions, if anyone is trying to look smart it's you, Misawa knows what he's talking about, if you like the game fine, but not everyone in the whole world plays a game for a story, that's what books are for, you play a game for gameplay, something I find MGS games seriously lack

Game play is rubbish? Horrible made? Boring? Perhaps you should refer to IGN :)

Misawa
26-06-2008, 01:39 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

'Nuff said.

Dentafrice
26-06-2008, 01:57 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review

'Nuff said ;) And there are plenty more like that, everytime you find a bad one.. I can find a good one.. and there are more good then bad.

Just because you find someone who doesn't like it, doesn't mean anything.. I can find 10 more videos that like it.

Have you even played the game?

Misawa
26-06-2008, 01:58 PM
What he said is the truth. And yes I have played the game. The dialogue is terrible and it's cut-scene after cut-scene after cut-scene after cut-scene. Perhaps Dan Houser should have written MGS4.

Dentafrice
26-06-2008, 02:01 PM
It just isn't your cup of tea.. that is all there is too it.. it wasn't the game for you.. and you don't like it.. so you think what he said is "truth", but it is still his opinion.

Neil
26-06-2008, 05:28 PM
It just isn't your cup of tea.. that is all there is too it.. it wasn't the game for you.. and you don't like it.. so you think what he said is "truth", but it is still his opinion.

You are losing and you know it so you're basically "throwing in the towel" it's all down to opinion, lets be reasonable, roughly 8mil people own a PS3 now, I HIGHLY doubt all 8mil of those got or even like MGS, so lets say 5-6mil liked it, that would probably be about the average in reality, then there is probably billions of people in the world, if you can find 10 more fans for each person that doesn't like the game then you'll be pulling people into existance because it just can't be done, you liked the game, good for you, not everyone thinks making a game more like a movie is the way to go, you don't play movies you play games

Obviously the statistics I used are not 100% acurate but what I'm saying is true

Misawa
26-06-2008, 05:47 PM
And by the way, "opinion" doesn't come down to how well the dialogue is. When you have something that plays out more like a b-movie than a video game, which is extremely heavy on cut-scenes, bad dialogue will dramatically fail it - and that is exactly what MGS4 is - badly written. It's not opinion, it's fact.

Fez
26-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Just gonna ask : Neil and Misawa, do you know the entire story of MGS?

Neil
26-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Just gonna ask : Neil and Misawa, do you know the entire story of MGS?

I've played the first, second and third, never bothered with the PSP one and not gonna bother with this one, so no not the entire story, not really a lot since I didn't complete any of them because I got bored to death by them all

Fez
26-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Okay, was just wondering.

Frodo13.
26-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I think I'd have the same opinion if I was so used to the same old crap on the 360.

Fez
26-06-2008, 07:39 PM
There's no old crap, sure there are a lot of sequals but there's at least 30 new franchises out right now on 360.

Neil
26-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I think I'd have the same opinion if I was so used to the same old crap on the 360.

No, you'd have the same opinion if you actually found MGS games boring, quite alot of games are multiplatform so the "crap" you're talking about is probably on the PS3 aswell, 360 has alot of very good exclusives out and more to come, a large part of the MGS4 owners defend the game way to much, it's as if you know it's rubbish but you need something to rub in the faces of 360 owners, the thing is if you play MGS1, I found it boring as hell, but I thought - "ok, give MGS2 a try" when it was released, played that and it was just as bad, the third I rented, wasn't gonna waste my money this time and thought it was just as bad, when 3 games come out rubbish then a huge amount wont be changed with the 4th, especially when the game is "cinematic" which is just pointless in a game, I have access to all 3 consoles and the 360 has the best selection of games, so you're comment is extremely biased and wrong really

Frodo13.
26-06-2008, 07:46 PM
No, you'd have the same opinion if you actually found MGS games boring, quite alot of games are multiplatform so the "crap" you're talking about is probably on the PS3 aswell, 360 has alot of very good exclusives out and more to come, a large part of the MGS4 owners defend the game way to much, it's as if you know it's rubbish but you need something to rub in the faces of 360 owners, the thing is if you play MGS1, I found it boring as hell, but I thought - "ok, give MGS2 a try" when it was released, played that and it was just as bad, the third I rented, wasn't gonna waste my money this time and thought it was just as bad, when 3 games come out rubbish then a huge amount wont be changed with the 4th, especially when the game is "cinematic" which is just pointless in a game, I have access to all 3 consoles and the 360 has the best selection of games, so you're comment is extremely biased and wrong really

Right :rolleyes: Neil's chatting breeze again. I actually lol'd at 'It's almost like you know its rubbish'. 360 spezialises in the same old FPS' - Well Done to Microsoft for that :eusa_clap

I supose you you'll be quick to defend Halo 3, but then again, I bet it's because you KNOW it's rubbish really, but you need it to rub in the faces of PS3 owners right?

Fez
26-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Right :rolleyes: Neil's chatting breeze again. I actually lol'd at 'It's almost like you know its rubbish'. 360 spezialises in the same old FPS' - Well Done to Microsoft for that :eusa_clap

I supose you you'll be quick to defend Halo 3, but then again, I bet it's because you KNOW it's rubbish really, but you need it to rub in the faces of PS3 owners right?

It's hard to admit it but your seriously getting to be a HUGE fanboy. Lighten up man

Frodo13.
26-06-2008, 07:51 PM
It's hard to admit it but your seriously getting to be a HUGE fanboy. Lighten up man

Let me have my opinion dude. I've played all 3 consoles and had consoles from different companies through the years. Love the PS3, like the Wii and thought the 360 was awful. Just because I don't like a certain console does not make me a fanboy

Fez
26-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Alright alright, maybe your not an obsessive fanboy. But your definetly some breed of it, even I'm a breed of it an 'open fanboy', your more of a 'opinionised' one. But your entitled to it and I hate labeling people but w/e...

SHUT UP PURPLENESS

Frodo13.
26-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Alright alright, maybe your not an obsessive fanboy. But your definetly some breed of it, even I'm a breed of it an 'open fanboy', your more of a 'opinionised' one. But your entitled to it and I hate labeling people but w/e...

SHUT UP PURPLENESS

Of course I'm sort of a fanboy. I think every console owner is.

Neil
26-06-2008, 08:03 PM

I wouldn't defend Halo 3, I think it's a rubbish game, I've never been keen on the halo games, I play games for fun and Halo just isn't fun, just like I don't find the MGS games fun, PS3 has good games but in my opinion MGS isn't one of them, if you want to say that's the PS3s best game go ahead but then it gives a 360 a good reason to say PS3 has no good games if MGS4 is the best it has

You act as if I'm a fanboy which is funny really, I don't care about the console I care about the games on them, which is why I would own all 3 consoles even if I only have one of them to just play one game

Fez
26-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I buy consoles to play games and we buy games to have an interactive experince that we would never be able to achieve in real life. Each console has these exclusive interactivities and they are all worth playing.

Just my opinion

Frodo13.
26-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't defend Halo 3, I think it's a rubbish game, I've never been keen on the halo games, I play games for fun and Halo just isn't fun, just like I don't find the MGS games fun, PS3 has good games but in my opinion MGS isn't one of them, if you want to say that's the PS3s best game go ahead but then it gives a 360 a good reason to say PS3 has no good games if MGS4 is the best it has

You act as if I'm a fanboy which is funny really, I don't care about the console I care about the games on them, which is why I would own all 3 consoles even if I only have one of them to just play one game

Ah, then we agree on something...it's not my fave game either, which, I never stated it was, but hey, if making things up enjoys you, carry on :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!