PDA

View Full Version : Linux File Caching

Dentafrice
19-06-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm looking for a way to cache and speed up the loading of images stored on TehUpload.

I have found numerous ways of caching and storing compilations of PHP, eAccelerator, etc, but due to the sheer number of requests per file we get, it would be better to speed it up.

Does anyone have any ideas, it must run on Linux.

Thanks.

Tomm
19-06-2008, 04:45 PM
I seriously doubt your bottleneck is with the file access time. If you are really serious about it consider hiring a professional to optimize your Apache.

Dentafrice
19-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Have any idea what it could be? The thing is I am using Apache with Jaxer, which is a new product I use to power half the site.

I'm not sure if that could be cause a bunch of extra overhead to be there when I am just accessing a normal file that doesn't have any Jaxer code on it, as the Jaxer server is a part of Apache.

Tomm
19-06-2008, 04:50 PM
How many hits are you getting to images per month?

Dentafrice
19-06-2008, 04:51 PM
At the moment my server doesn't have any statistics software on it, as I am managing my owner server.

Google Analytics doesn't monitor that either sadly, any idea how I can check this?

If Webalizer will do it, I can install that.

Tomm
19-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Webalizer should do it, assuming you keep apache logs.

At the moment my server doesn't have any statistics software on it, as I am managing my owner server.

Google Analytics doesn't monitor that either sadly, any idea how I can check this?

If Webalizer will do it, I can install that.

Dentafrice
19-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I do.
:) Installing now, I'll post again when done.

Hypertext
29-06-2008, 08:44 PM
You could try using MemCache. Also if your using any type of databases you might want to use InnoDB. But thats when you get to like 300mil+ queries per day thats to stop queries getting jumbled etc. Although I highly doubt any of these would fix this more than a dedicated server as opposed to a vps, I'd see if you can get some advertising.

Dentafrice
29-06-2008, 08:50 PM
MemCache isn't for file systems.. its for optimizing alleviating database load, nothing to do with the topic being discussed here.

I already have a system setup for database caching, that part is fine.

I don't need to use InnoDB either, that doesn't have anything to do with the topic being discussed here.

Don't post if you don't know a lick about what the heck I am talking about. I know what InnoDB and MemCache.

If you wanted to speed up PHP applications try MMCache (eAccelerator).

Hypertext
29-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Ooh, I'll look into it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!