PDA

View Full Version : Driving age - Your Views

VPSwow
26-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Well you may or may not know that the government are trying to/ have passed the law to change driving upto 18. But now they want to move it to 21.

Do you think this is fair?

Views please :)

Hazza
26-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Its been comfirmed that the drivers age is staying at 17 - Which I think is fair.
Well, this is the last I heard. 21 is wayyyyyyyyy out of proportion.

-Eyeless-
26-06-2008, 03:53 PM
NO WAI of course it is not fair, it is completely the opposite. In america in most places you can drive at 16, and you can drive extremely powerful cars. Here we can drive at 17 (soon to be 18 no doubt Relative to if they decide to change it) and you always see us, even most rich people with crappy cars, safer cars than those that most american teens drive.

And in contrast to other laws like smoking drinking etc, it is just an excessive abuse of power and control over our youth!

</rant>

Hazza
26-06-2008, 03:54 PM
From Yahoo!;

The upshot was that some politicians had suggested it be changed from 17 to 18 but no-one had really taken any real interest in changing it.

The outcome was that if it was to be changed a law change would be required and it would take several years to put into place, so for the forseeable future it's staying at 17.

As it states - If the age does go up it won't be any time soon.

VPSwow
26-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Its not just that though, they are wanted people to have a longer theory which will take more training and 100 hours of driving experience before been able to take your test. This may take a few months more than before and is just silly.

Im confused at the moment though because all over the web from fairly reliable sources are all different "facts" on changing the driving age. One says it will be staying 17 and a few saying it will be moved up before october 2009.

Starburst..x
26-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Well I think having the driving age at seventeen is good, because your seen as a "young adult" so why not get the advantages of being one? and by the time your driving test comes around your on your way to being eighteen (give or take six months lol).
However I can see where the government are coming from because the amount of people I've seen who have passed, and the majority of them being boys (sorry!) start to get cocky and arrogant just because they've passed, but I think it could be a good idea of perhaps limiting engine size until a certain age, so for instance you can only drive upto a 1.2 a no larger because at 17 do your really need to drive around in anything larger? and you can get quite a lot of power out of a 1.2 especially if its only a relatively small car. They do it with motorbikes so maybe it should be the same with cars?

lAscend
26-06-2008, 04:17 PM
I think it should stay at 17 there isnt really any point in changing the law as you get loads of young drivers who are either underage or don't have a license or insurance, all they are trying to do is reduce the amount of younger drivers because we are more likely to have an accident.

Its a bit more like trying to catch people with cannabis, they will never stop that from trading on the streets no matter what power the government have over it.

Metric1
26-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Wow, I think 18 is old. The legal age is 16 over here.

GommeInc
26-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Changing it to 21 means loads of other driving laws need changing, like renting vehicles etc. 17 is reasonable, learner drivers are in the middle of college study making it easier for them to learn, if it was 18 they'll have to learn at university and if that's not the case, then the difference between maturity ages doesn't really differ. Is this because of under 21 accidents? I think that number was slowly falling the last time I heard :S

MissAlice
26-06-2008, 05:54 PM
There are changes but not to the age. Take a look at this :)

http://learningtodrive.dsa.gov.uk/pages/faqs

Alkaz
26-06-2008, 06:05 PM
I am glad, my Mum said something about that and I dont want it to change, I will be going to uni when I am 18 and that is expensive so if I can do it whilst I am 17 it will sort of save me some money at the beginning of uni. Please no change :P!

e5
26-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I think it should be 14. (seriously) because I am so good at driving. (I think I am anyway)

Loser
26-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Funny how people are whining about the age going up when the age would be staying the same if teenagers weren't driving like morons.
At the end of the day, if you follow the rules, the rules will stay the same. Contrary to belief, rules are NOT made to be broken. Rules are made to be followed, and are made to be followed to keep people safe.
What you should be whining about is people who pass their test, then forget everything they learnt and go speeding up and down roads. Because it's either their fault, or the world is out to get teenagers. Just to piss teenagers off, they're jumping in front of their cars to stop them being able to drive.

I know who I'm blaming it on.

N-Dubz
26-06-2008, 06:29 PM
21? lmaoo!!

VPSwow
26-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Funny how people are whining about the age going up when the age would be staying the same if teenagers weren't driving like morons.
At the end of the day, if you follow the rules, the rules will stay the same. Contrary to belief, rules are NOT made to be broken. Rules are made to be followed, and are made to be followed to keep people safe.
What you should be whining about is people who pass their test, then forget everything they learnt and go speeding up and down roads. Because it's either their fault, or the world is out to get teenagers. Just to piss teenagers off, they're jumping in front of their cars to stop them being able to drive.

Yes but all rules are broke by minority. Even if it was 50 people would speed and break the law.

Dan2nd
26-06-2008, 07:35 PM
My teacher always says he thinks anyone under the age of 21 lacks the experience to drive. I never understood this statement because surely you'd lack it if you haven't driven before by the age of 21 meh... I think the real issue is should people over the age of 70 be aloud to drive..

Virgin Mary
26-06-2008, 08:15 PM

Frankly, unless they're killing someone else by driving stupidly, then who cares if they kill themselves by crashing into a tree or something? That's their fault.

Hazza
26-06-2008, 08:26 PM
There are changes but not to the age. Take a look at this :)

http://learningtodrive.dsa.gov.uk/pages/faqs
Thanks for this, I am glad its not changing :)
2 years till I cannn.

Danzilla
27-06-2008, 01:35 AM
I don't mind it going up to 18 yet 21 is too far.
You can drive a 49cc (50cc) motorcycle at the age of 16 which i think is fair so its not too bad driving around on a bike for an extra year. But anyhow, its not going to affect me so im not too worried.
Maybe they should change the law so for the first year of driving you can only drive up to a 1.1 leter (1100cc) so it wont be so dangerous but most people do anyway as its hell trying to get insurance for a 1.2+.
So yeh, i think its ok if it changes to 18 but 21 is too far like i said, i mean what would happen about riding a bike at the age of 16, they would have to change it to 18 or somthing. By changing that law so many other laws will have too change and now they have relised it and now the law isn't changing.

MissAlice
27-06-2008, 10:36 AM
If you read a lot of the facts, you can see why improvements to the theory and practical tests are being suggested. The aim is to improve newly qualified drivers skills and awareness. They simply want to make the roads safer for us all.

FACTS
Approximately one fifth of serious injuries among car users involved newly qualified drivers and their passengers.

Newly qualified drivers have the worst insurance claim records.

16% more drivers aged 16 to 19 are killed today compared to 15 years ago.

At least 100,000 young people may be driving without a proper licence.

Newly qualified drivers have a greater risk of accident in their early months regardless of age.

It is estimated that more than 300 newly qualified drivers were killed in road accidents in 2006.

Drivers aged 17-20 are twice as likely to make an insurance claim. The value being three times higher than other drivers.

Mile for mile motorways are our safest roads, yet many newly qualified drivers find motorway driving intimidating.

52% of newly qualified drivers believe learning to drive had not prepared them for the road.

50% of road accidents involving young men take place at night.

superfly-dan
27-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Not only is changing the driving age to 21 pretty unfair, it's also a pretty stupid idea too.

Young drivers pay some of the highest insurance premiums... and if the government get rid of the young drivers, then they are going to miss out on the cash generated from young driver's insurance!

I don't think it will change. I reckon it is almost certain that they will change the age to 18, I mean 18 year old drivers are more mature than 17 year old ones and therefore will drive more safely and they still pay hefty insurance costs, but putting the driving age up to 21 would be a step in the wrong direction. Doesn't the price of insurance go way down when you hit 21?

Markness.
27-06-2008, 09:04 PM
As more and more cars come on our roads, obviously the government are going to try and tackle it, but slowing it down by a year won't help :s

I say leave the age at 17 and perhaps further educate drivers with licences on all these dangers, from past experience (by that i mean crossing roads etc), older drivers are the worst.

Loqo
27-06-2008, 09:37 PM
I wish it would be lowered to 16, America allow it. I'd hate 18 never mind 21. Driving is what am looking forward to and I only have 2 more years now, I dont want it increased.

Jordy
27-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I think it should be 14. (seriously) because I am so good at driving. (I think I am anyway)Can you justify a reason to drive at the age of 14 though? I'm 14 and I can't think of many times I'd need to drive, not only would it be incredibly dangerous but it'd be unnecessary most the time.

alexxxxx
28-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Changing it to 21 means loads of other driving laws need changing, like renting vehicles etc. 17 is reasonable, learner drivers are in the middle of college study making it easier for them to learn, if it was 18 they'll have to learn at university and if that's not the case, then the difference between maturity ages doesn't really differ. Is this because of under 21 accidents? I think that number was slowly falling the last time I heard :S

yeah it is. 17,18,19 year olds arent the highest accidents - it's early 20s.

Zuar
28-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Hmm, as far as I know my cousin who drives really quick & with music blasting has never had a crash, yet my mum who's much older has. As well as OLDER people I know. I also hate the fact when you get really old drivers who go at 10mph it's like hmm.

So yeah, it's stupid if they hire it.

Moh
28-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Changing the driving age to 18 or 21 will still mean there will be young drivers.
People who are 18 or 21 will be classed as young, as they won't have as much experience.

What would the difference be? Not every starts to drive at 17, not every one has the money.

Orangeesh
28-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Either way theres gunna be accidents as most 17 year olds are first time drivers...
Itll just be the same at 18.

alexxxxx
28-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Either way theres gunna be accidents as most 17 year olds are first time drivers...
Itll just be the same at 18.

yeah exactly.

RedStratocas
28-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Frankly, unless they're killing someone else by driving stupidly, then who cares if they kill themselves by crashing into a tree or something? That's their fault.

unfortunately a lot of the former happens.

as a lot of people have been saying, its only going up because a lot of teenagers have failed to prove themselves worthy of having a license. it sucks for the people who are good drivers which is most of them, but the statistics don't lie. in this year alone in my state we've had a few dozen kids get in drunk driving accidents. so yeah, they're dumb, but there is no way to ween out the kids who they think are going to drunk drive or kill someone. it's unpredictable. so the best way to stop all the accidents is to either make the process of getting your license way more strict, or raising the age.

that being said, i got my license at 16, and i haven't been in an accident since.

GommeInc
28-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Adding to what I said, it's kinda obvious there maybe accidents when you've just passed your test. Driving takes up alot of brain power and takes a while to get used to. They can say "well, they need to learn more" but getting learner drivers to carry on learning for a few more months doesn't help. You need to learn to drive without someone next to you and get used to being on your own or people with no direct power over the car, which a driving instructor/parent has at the time of a teenager learning.

Meanies
28-06-2008, 11:37 PM
changing to 21 is just stupid.

as long as it stays 17 until january i'm happy

Tintinnabulate
29-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I passed a few months after I turned 17. So it doesnt affect me :) But I think it should be raised to 18 :) A lot of young drivers cant drive which is annoying.

MissAlice
29-06-2008, 02:58 PM
In a way age becomes irrelevant and experience is what matters, at 17, 18 or even 25 we all begin as newly qualified drivers. Experience on driving alone, driving on motorways isn't something we get taught, it comes with time and helps build your confidence to become a better driver. I've been driving now over 18 months, and a friend of mine passed their practical test just over a week ago, I sat in their car as a passenger, and felt a little uncomfortable. No doubt in time when she becomes more confident, I will feel more at ease.

Tintinnabulate
29-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Yes but most 17 - 18 year olds want to show off to their mates so they drive irresponsibly. But after 25, you dont really show off that much.

MissAlice
29-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes but most 17 - 18 year olds want to show off to their mates so they drive irresponsibly. But after 25, you dont really show off that much.

I wouldn't say most, I would say a minority, which is why insurance premiums are high for new drivers and even higher for males which in some instances is unfair. All males are tarnished with the same brush, which is wrong.

lew!
29-06-2008, 09:53 PM
i think tey should keep it.
Most accidents are at about early 20s.
New drivers are paranoid about hitting nd crashing nd things whereas when your 20 you think oh ive been driving for 3 years i know it all bla bla bla.

Hushie
29-06-2008, 11:09 PM
No-one will be driving anywayz with the petrol crisis :P

GommeInc
30-06-2008, 12:30 AM
I passed a few months after I turned 17. So it doesnt affect me :) But I think it should be raised to 18 :) A lot of young drivers cant drive which is annoying.
I find adult drivers above the age of 21 annoying, they are purely there to annoy young drivers and drivers of their own age. I've never had problems with anyone my age, only the annoying people with their big, flashy cars and 4x4s thinking they can get up close and not be annoying. Plus 17-18 isn't a big gap :P

-Soph-
30-06-2008, 09:26 AM
18 makes sense, 21 is ridiculous, people need to get jobs... you usually need a reliable mode of transport.

It's only 16 here.. at least in my state anyway, I do think this is too young.. but it's just so hard to debate against it because I can drive in just over 2 months time.

Emjin
01-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Perhaps to 18, a year is alot.

And I think the US age limit should go up, I think 16 is a little too young and I think there's alot more accidents involving young adults?

RandomManJay
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I think that the driving age of 17 is fair because before I turned 17, I never though I would be able to learn how to drive, much less pass my test. If does go up to 18, it is the legal classification of adulthood, and it would centre the age limits along side drinking so I would be fine with that. I don't think that 21is good though because many university students require transportation to get from place to place, which is hard when buses are late or not to the right schedule for everyone. Athough I do see why the government is trying to increase the age for safety and maturity isses, the vast mojority of young, new drivers don't actually drive dangerously, so I think there should be a system where if you are caught endangering someones life through driving before the age of 21 without justifiable cause, your license should be revoked and you should not be allowed to take your test or learn to driving again until you turn 21.

Janeisntpleased
04-07-2008, 02:24 AM
i think changing the age to 18 won't really have that much of effect on accidents and whatnot.

the only thing i agree on is have a 0 alcohol policy on new drivers.

Purple
04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
In the USA the driving age is 16. I think it should be 17, because that would generally mean all high school seniors could drive and I simply think you should be a bit older. 21 is wayyy too high!

VPSwow
06-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I think 17 is good because we need some responsibilities at that age.

Scarcely
08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm glad we'll be able to drive at 17...
IMO we shouldn't all suffer due to some boy racers.
I'm looking forward to driving my own car, when I want and where I want listening to what I want as loud as I want.

Icarus
16-07-2008, 02:40 PM
NO WAI of course it is not fair, it is completely the opposite. In america in most places you can drive at 16, and you can drive extremely powerful cars. Here we can drive at 17 (soon to be 18 no doubt Relative to if they decide to change it) and you always see us, even most rich people with crappy cars, safer cars than those that most american teens drive.

And in contrast to other laws like smoking drinking etc, it is just an excessive abuse of power and control over our youth!

</rant>

I know this was one of the first posts but in quite alot of america the driving age is actually 21. Same as drinking age.

GommeInc
16-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Thinking over it, if it went any higher 17 year olds would be destroying public property, rather than their own cars anyway. This is of course following the stereotype the government has put down that all 17 year olds love crashing cars and causing accidents :rolleyes:

alexxxxx
16-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I know this was one of the first posts but in quite alot of america the driving age is actually 21. Same as drinking age.

Is there some part of america that isn't listed here?

http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages2.htm

tdi
16-07-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't mind it going up to 18 yet 21 is too far.
You can drive a 49cc (50cc) motorcycle at the age of 16 which i think is fair so its not too bad driving around on a bike for an extra year. But anyhow, its not going to affect me so im not too worried.
Maybe they should change the law so for the first year of driving you can only drive up to a 1.1 leter (1100cc) so it wont be so dangerous but most people do anyway as its hell trying to get insurance for a 1.2+.
So yeh, i think its ok if it changes to 18 but 21 is too far like i said, i mean what would happen about riding a bike at the age of 16, they would have to change it to 18 or somthing. By changing that law so many other laws will have too change and now they have relised it and now the law isn't changing.

My mate has a 1.1, it's so slow. you've got to wait for him to catch up. :\

Leicester
17-07-2008, 02:43 PM
;4912761']Is there some part of america that isn't listed here?

http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages2.htm

i wanna live in usa now

vito201-:D
18-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Driving age should be 16/17 because college is a bugger to get to without a car for most people and if you decide not to go to college you have a job to get to and most jobs require transport...

once you're out of full time education no matter your birthdate you should be allowed to learn in my opinion.

VPSwow
18-07-2008, 01:50 PM
There is a lot of contemplation to night kerphews (sp?) aswell now and the amount of theory you have to do before you can drive.

Mint
17-08-2008, 01:56 AM
I know that the driving age in Florida is 16 and let's face it, the roads in Florida are massive, the cars are much more powerfull (the Taxi's are all V8's lol) and if they can all do it why can't we? Our roads are easier to drive on an we have poxy little 1 litre cars which most people start out in anyway! So 16 should be the age limit.

shane.jones
22-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I think ths is a Hard one as if the driving age was 16 the insurance would be Way over the top due to boy racers and stuff

However, the insurance is huge at 17 which is why u see most 17 year olds driving crappy old cars but i think 17 - 18 is a good age for driving.

:D

Lee
22-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I think the age should be 18, 16 years old is practically kids driving to school. That would cause problems as some 'immature' children could easily do something silly and dangerous in school hours.

17 most people are busy, some will still be in school after the new age rule and its adding more danger to the roads.

18 is practiacally adult. People know more about dangers and have maybe grown up a little.

SHOPLIFTER
22-08-2008, 10:59 PM
don't give a **** as long as nothing changes before february.

tdi
24-08-2008, 01:51 AM
I think the age should be 18, 16 years old is practically kids driving to school. That would cause problems as some 'immature' children could easily do something silly and dangerous in school hours.

17 most people are busy, some will still be in school after the new age rule and its adding more danger to the roads.

18 is practiacally adult. People know more about dangers and have maybe grown up a little.
17 isn't exactly 'kids driving to school' as it's sixth form or college if any education..

Leetzgirl
24-08-2008, 04:08 AM
I can start learning soon, and get my first car at 16 :)!

Metric1
24-08-2008, 04:10 AM
I drive to school everyday. I wrecked my mom's car at 16 and it really smartened me up a lot about driving. Driving isn't all about how fast you can go, and doing ticks. I go as fast as I feel nesessary and I drive my car like it should be driven.

tdi
25-08-2008, 03:04 AM
I drive to school everyday. I wrecked my mom's car at 16 and it really smartened me up a lot about driving. Driving isn't all about how fast you can go, and doing ticks. I go as fast as I feel nesessary and I drive my car like it should be driven.
I agree.. you can drive a car fast but that doesn't mean you can handle it.

Janet Snakehole
25-08-2008, 09:30 AM
I hope nothing changes!
Well before December anyway.

Imp!
25-08-2008, 12:53 PM
If I could change the rules it would be
a) drive at 16
b) all cars are automatic

save us the hassle >.>

Serious
25-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I can start learning soon, and get my first car at 16 :)!
you can you drive at 16?

Fehm
25-08-2008, 05:31 PM
I personally think 18's too young but on the other hand its jus tirte. I think its stupid with people like boy racers, but for people who drive respsonsible its ok.l

I dunno im undecided.

tdi
25-08-2008, 07:28 PM
If I could change the rules it would be
a) drive at 16
b) all cars are automatic

save us the hassle >.>

sorry, all cars automatic? how stupid and ridiculous.

Misawa
25-08-2008, 08:42 PM
It is fine as it is, but it wouldn't bother me if it was upped to 18. Most people here are probably under 17 and are saying that they would like it to be lower purely because they want to get in a car as quickly as possible, and not thinking about what really matters.

Zak
13-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Driving should stay at 17, 18 is ok.

21 is too far.

Ramones
19-09-2008, 02:22 PM
iv'e done no research, but personally i don't think people mature that much between the age of 17 and 18 and that it wont affect driving much, i think 16 is too low though. I say don't change it, and i drive at the moment ;)

[Jay]
20-09-2008, 08:29 PM
21 more like 25 kids these days driving like lunatics. They should not be allowed to drive until they have grown some balls

Havoline
20-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Tbh I reckon it should be 16, that way there will be less people 16-17 drinking illegaly which should make them safer :)

[Jay]
25-09-2008, 07:14 PM
make it 25....25 i say!!!

BlueTackle
28-09-2008, 08:10 AM
i totally disagree..

It should be 11 to drive

they should have smaller cars for kids and smaller roads.

Have smaller engines

Would be awesome :)

Casual
28-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't understand this country's views on anything anymore. I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and walking through the alcohol bit n like you have to be 21 to buy it 18 to drink in a bar and 16 at home.. Why not just have one set age ***?

Plus its mostly old ******s in the government who should really just get on with their job n leave us teens alone :]

/rant over.

Zak
28-09-2008, 10:04 PM
At 16 I've seen alot of school children buy mopeds. A lot of them can't drive them and barely adhere to road laws.

I actually now think it should be upped to 18, I understand a lot of people on this forum are mature and maybe under the age of 18. I just think alot of drivers are too reckless and drive too fast.

Contrast.
28-09-2008, 11:50 PM
I believe you should be able to take lessons etc. at 17 then can only pass and drive a car at 18.

Perhaps thats the best way overall.

kuzkasate
29-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Well yes i agree there are lunatics but like I am proper young and my dads taught me how to drive, so i dont see why i have to wait another 5 years until I can drive with a driving license....

Lexin
29-09-2008, 07:01 PM
I think 16 is still pretty young to drive a car, though 18 is alright I guess. I dont know really. I find it hard to judge about this because I think it is different for everyone. Some people are ready to drive at 16 but for others it's better to wait till they're 18.

Kalec
29-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I think 21 would be a fair age. I definetly think that 17 is too young for some people due to maturity, I mean its fairly easy to pass a test but that in theory, in no way proves that someone is mature enough to drive. I mean, how many times do you see people speeding down the highway or pulling out, they are not only putting their life at risk but the lives of others.

Hazza
29-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I've recently drove a car on a road safety school trip and I'm 15. Its not as hard as it seems, obviously this was on private land and stuff but none of us crashed?

I think 17 is suitable.

Abbie.
29-09-2008, 09:34 PM
17 is fine

its a good age because its right before uni, and old enough that your responsible and not careless

heh im ringing for lessons tomorrow ;]

Zak
30-09-2008, 12:48 AM
I've recently drove a car on a road safety school trip and I'm 15. Its not as hard as it seems, obviously this was on private land and stuff but none of us crashed?

I think 17 is suitable.

Yeah but it's not hard to crash in an open space with no traffic :S

Taking everything into consideration if you drive carefully you shouldn't come across too many problems. Although it's not just young drivers that cause problems older people can still be bad drivers.

Driving is not alot more than stopping and starting really, the other stuff isn't too hard.

When you're on a road though you have to concentrate and spot potential hazards before you come upto them.

CrazyColaist
30-09-2008, 07:30 PM
keep as 17 plz.

tdi
01-10-2008, 12:26 AM
i totally disagree..

It should be 11 to drive

they should have smaller cars for kids and smaller roads.

Have smaller engines

Would be awesome :)

how stupid and pointless, why would the working taxpayer pay to make smaller roads for kids 'driving' ?

Well yes i agree there are lunatics but like I am proper young and my dads taught me how to drive, so i dont see why i have to wait another 5 years until I can drive with a driving license....

how ignorant of you, you haven't learned to drive, you've driven on private land so you can't really say you can drive.. there's no traffic, pedestrians, proper roads etc so you know how to maneuver a car, not drive one.

I think 21 would be a fair age. I definetly think that 17 is too young for some people due to maturity, I mean its fairly easy to pass a test but that in theory, in no way proves that someone is mature enough to drive. I mean, how many times do you see people speeding down the highway or pulling out, they are not only putting their life at risk but the lives of others.

most people exceed the speed limit, and most people who pull out etc and have no idea whats going on on the roads are old people.. Admittedly I don't always stick to the speed limits but I don't drive recklessly.

I think 17 is suitable.
again see comment above

most people are taught how to pass their test and not how to drive, it's easy to drive fast but you have to control the car.

Zak
01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Suprised you didn't slate me tdi :P

tdi
01-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Suprised you didn't slate me tdi :P
I agree with you in a way, some people are mature enough whereas some people aren't.. the tests should be made harder to verify who is mature enough and who isn't..

joshuar
03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Personally I think 17 is fine, I have managed to fail my driving test twice now, with 6 minors then 3 minors. Driving Tests are funny things, as some of the people who pass them cannot drive at all, but can manage to convience someone they can drive in the space of 30-50 minutes, when in reality they can't, and they were just flukey.

If it had to change I'd say you can learn when your 17, but then take your test when your 18, but I'd say that if new drivers are seen making a nuisence then they should have harsher punishments on them. If a new driver gets 6 points on their license in the first 2 years they then get put back to a provisional and have to start over.

Arch
06-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Where i live its 16, and i think its fine. =]

[Jay]
06-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I have come to the conclusion that 17 is fine

sugar-cookie!
09-10-2008, 07:35 AM
21! ***
im getting lessons for xmas and bday shortly after ( ill be 18 )

im sick of spending £3 bus fares at half 7 in the morning

grrrrr

in some ways i like 18, hopefuly means some kids are more mature and can handle driving
and also £50 for a provisional!

Zak
09-10-2008, 10:21 PM
21! ***
im getting lessons for xmas and bday shortly after ( ill be 18 )

im sick of spending £3 bus fares at half 7 in the morning

grrrrr

in some ways i like 18, hopefuly means some kids are more mature and can handle driving
and also £50 for a provisional!

Wasn't £50 for me a few years ago :P haha

Kowther
10-10-2008, 06:07 AM
In Australia, the driving age is 16.

I think 16/17 is a suitable driving age.

Cixso
10-10-2008, 08:10 AM
In Australia, the driving age is 16.

I think 16/17 is a suitable driving age.

Not with idiots on the roads these days.

C'mon we all know at that age we like to show off to gals.

J0SH
10-10-2008, 08:24 AM
It should be like America, 15/16? Is that right? :P

Jord
10-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I want it to be 16 in UK

Zak
10-10-2008, 05:41 PM
C'mon we all know at that age we like to show off to gals.

One of the main reasons people crash because they show off and go too fast.

luce
10-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Well as people are drinking yonger i think it should stay the same. Defo not younger and if it has to change it should be older!

sugar-cookie!
11-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Wasn't £50 for me a few years ago :P haha
well it is now :@

Misawa
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Should rise to 18 in all honesty. Those who say it should be lower than 17 are idiotic.

Ajthedragon
12-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I think it should be put up personly. It would prevent loads of accidents. I also think that they shouldn't teach drivers how to drive on roads. They should teach them on feilds like the good old days! :D

Plus theres less traffic.

Zak
13-10-2008, 11:38 PM
I was outside a nightclub a few days ago.

Watching a Honda s2000 nearly lose control while drifting.. all he was doing was trying to show off.....

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!