PDA

View Full Version : Bit of help with purchasing...

Jericho
28-06-2008, 09:43 PM
K. So im in need of a new ext hdd. But instead of buying one for over £100+, im going to make one... I dont know if that is the right term.

My dads mate told me about this earlier, instead of buying a EXT HDD, buy the Hard-drive and a Caddy/Case. It works out very cheap and more reliable.

The HDD I have been going for is...
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(24106)Seagate-500GB-Barracuda-SATA-II-300-7200rpm.aspx

My dads mate has had this for 3 years and has had no problems.. very reliable and with 5 Years warranty in the price [which is an excellent price apparently], it seems very worth it.

I am yet to find a nice case.. non that a very attractive.. but if price is not an worry :D

I am just wondering if anyone has done this before?

Thanks,
Joe.

xxMATTGxx
28-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Why don't you just buy something like this;
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/128465

I ordered it today, so yeah. Its not £100+, Its under £100.

But if you still want to do your own, then thats fine. Good Luck and have fun doing it!

N!ck
28-06-2008, 09:49 PM
A friend has done it before, and i've done it with a media centre hard drive caddy for another friend before. But it actually works out slightly cheaper just buying an external hard drive if i remember correctly.

Jericho
28-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I think it would be better if I made my own.. bit of a learning curve! :D

@Matt, I would go for that but im not a huge fan of WD.

N!ck
28-06-2008, 09:56 PM
If you decide to make your own then go with something like the Seagate drive you posted.

Recursion
28-06-2008, 09:56 PM
To be honest, all it is is opening the caddy, putting the harddrive on a platform type thing, screwing it down and then sliding it back into the caddy.

Jericho
28-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I know, but its one thing I have not done and would like to do.. its just something to do y'know.

Hayd93
29-06-2008, 09:01 AM
To be honest, all it is is opening the caddy, putting the harddrive on a platform type thing, screwing it down and then sliding it back into the caddy.

Ye been there done that. I find buying one is alot better the one i made was verry tempremetal like the connecters to put the wires in dident always hold the wires ect.

Jericho
29-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Well it seems the guy who explained how to do this made it sound 'harder' than it is... so putting this together should be easy. Ordering the parts next week.

Thanks for your help guys.

Recursion
29-06-2008, 12:27 PM
My CM-690 case came with a free 2.5" HD Caddy, so I ripped open my old laptop and used that! :P Free 60GB Ext drive FTW

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!