PDA

View Full Version : Any way for me to downgrade to XP? Acer Aspire 9410 series

HotelUser
01-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Greetings,

Well from what I see Microsoft allows Vista Ultimate users to downgrade for free (I have home premium OEM) and I don't know what Acer does for downgrading, I've emailed them two weeks ago, however they never responded to my e-mail. Their Canadian support team is pretty much non-existent. I don't want a pirated version of XP or anything like that, and do not tell me "why downgrade?" or say anything about why I'm downgrading, I shouldn't downgrade and Vista is superior. I have my reasons for downgrading, and my reasons for not liking how Vista preforms on this laptop. I couldn't find the sub-model of this machine, only that it is an Acer 9410, so here's the specifications:
Intel Centrino Duo 2.0ghz
1GB Ram (upgraded to 2.5GB)
120GB hard drive
17" screen
(strange) Unused mini PCIE slot on the bottom, probably intended for bluetooth because there's a bluetooth button on the laptop's quicklaunch.
Vista Home Premium
Is there any way at all that it would be legal for me to downgrade to XP, from Vista Home Premium? If it could be done it would be VERY appreciated.

Aces
01-07-2008, 01:00 AM
If support fail to respond, and you dont like pirated stuff, then only way out I see is simply buying the OS.
Sorry, but I dont see any other way.

Stephen!
01-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Agreed. It is a completley different OS. Although from the same company, it is a seperate product none the less. You will have to buy it. Hurry though, Microsoft pulled XP sales as of Monday so they will be gone fast.

Metric1
02-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Why would you downgrade?

HotelUser
02-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Why would you downgrade?

A quote from my initial post in the thread,

Greetings,

Well from what I see Microsoft allows Vista Ultimate users to downgrade for free (I have home premium OEM) and I don't know what Acer does for downgrading, I've emailed them two weeks ago, however they never responded to my e-mail. Their Canadian support team is pretty much non-existent. I don't want a pirated version of XP or anything like that, and do not tell me "why downgrade?" or say anything about why I'm downgrading, I shouldn't downgrade and Vista is superior. I have my reasons for downgrading, and my reasons for not liking how Vista preforms on this laptop. I couldn't find the sub-model of this machine, only that it is an Acer 9410, so here's the specifications:
Intel Centrino Duo 2.0ghz
1GB Ram (upgraded to 2.5GB)
120GB hard drive
17" screen
(strange) Unused mini PCIE slot on the bottom, probably intended for bluetooth because there's a bluetooth button on the laptop's quicklaunch.
Vista Home Premium
Is there any way at all that it would be legal for me to downgrade to XP, from Vista Home Premium? If it could be done it would be VERY appreciated.

Metric1
02-07-2008, 03:17 AM
I have not once called Dell for support, nor have I called Microsoft for ANY of my Vista computers, weather they be personal or business machines. Vista is MUCH more stable than any of my XP machines were, my old business machine got to the point where I couldn't turn it off with out running the risk of loosing all my data, it got to be quite ridiculous. I would NEVER go back to XP, EVER EVER EVER.

I hate XP.

If you think Vista performs bad, wait until you get XP!

HotelUser
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I have not once called Dell for support, nor have I called Microsoft for ANY of my Vista computers, weather they be personal or business machines. Vista is MUCH more stable than any of my XP machines were, my old business machine got to the point where I couldn't turn it off with out running the risk of loosing all my data, it got to be quite ridiculous. I would NEVER go back to XP, EVER EVER EVER.

I hate XP.

If you think Vista performs bad, wait until you get XP!

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish, but I said this is NOT to discuss reasons for switching in my initial post. Certainly nothing you say will convince me otherwise not to switch. In my opinion it runs much worse than it should, for the features it adds. I also have a substantial amount of incompatible programs and insufficient Vista drivers (even though this is an OEM license). SP1 was a slight improvement, though it wasn't significant enough for me to consider using Vista. That is my reason for wanting to switch, you won't magically resolve all this with some words on the forum, Microsoft will have to release SP2. Now, as I said already and as well as in my first post, this thread's intention was not to discuss reasons for upgrading/downgrading. It's about peoples experiences with the operating system and their opinions on how it operates/what features it has. So please don't continue to discuss upgrade/downgrade reasons here.

Leetzgirl
02-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Do you even know what your doing?

You need to download drivers before you do all this...

and why are you even contacting acer? :S. The only information you need from them is
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_9410.html
which are the XP drivers.

Why would acer give you an XP disc? lol

*P.s, please say it a laptop next time >_>*

Fehm
02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Id just search Microsoft site ... or... Go to PC world :) :P

HotelUser
02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Id just search Microsoft site ... or... Go to PC world :) :P

Search Microsoft site for a product they sell for free? There is no PCworld in Canada.

Do you even know what your doing?

You need to download drivers before you do all this...

and why are you even contacting acer? :S. The only information you need from them is
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_9410.html
which are the XP drivers.

Why would acer give you an XP disc? lol

*P.s, please say it a laptop next time >_>*
I know what I'm doing.

I don't think you do know what you're doing, because I don't need drivers for this:P.

This model has XP recovery disks, therefore I wouldn't require drivers, I would require Acer to send me an XP recovery disk for the specified model.

They would give me a disk because they're supposed to have good customer service? lol

*P.s I said it was a laptop >_>*

Independent
02-07-2008, 05:43 PM
I did this recently and regretted doing so, now I am back on Vista :)

First, make sure you have downloaded each driver:

Sound, display, Wireless adapater, USB controllers (if required).

Back them up on a CD or something, then boot from your XP CD then you shall be able to install XP, but in a more complicated way.. I suggest you set-up dual boot and so you can remove your XP partition at any time, because I regret making the move as I have lost all my files.

Recursion
02-07-2008, 06:01 PM
When you bought the laptop Vista was legally bound to that laptop. Sure, if your on Ultimate your allowed to downgrade to XP Pro, but not home premium. You have to BUY XP, be quick though as they will be gone quick as it died on Monday. And infact, Acer aren't legally allowed to supply XP with their machines anymore.

iJoe
02-07-2008, 06:04 PM
If they have xp discs for it, contact them for them :)

HotelUser
02-07-2008, 07:41 PM
When you bought the laptop Vista was legally bound to that laptop. Sure, if your on Ultimate your allowed to downgrade to XP Pro, but not home premium. You have to BUY XP, be quick though as they will be gone quick as it died on Monday. And infact, Acer aren't legally allowed to supply XP with their machines anymore.

Acer's not legally allowed to supply users with XP :S? What about the Aspire One, I think that has XP on it.

I did this recently and regretted doing so, now I am back on Vista :)

First, make sure you have downloaded each driver:

Sound, display, Wireless adapater, USB controllers (if required).

Back them up on a CD or something, then boot from your XP CD then you shall be able to install XP, but in a more complicated way.. I suggest you set-up dual boot and so you can remove your XP partition at any time, because I regret making the move as I have lost all my files.

I know how to install an operating system. I don't know how to convince my PC manufacture into giving me XP recovery disks for free.

Recursion
02-07-2008, 07:52 PM
From Monday onwards, unless supplying a Vista license with the XP one (2 licenses, this is how Dell are getting away with it), companies are no longer allowed to supply XP.

HotelUser
02-07-2008, 11:52 PM
From Monday onwards, unless supplying a Vista license with the XP one (2 licenses, this is how Dell are getting away with it), companies are no longer allowed to supply XP.

Aaaw, well at least this should solve the compatibility issues with applications soon enough. However, for UM/ULPCs (devices with 11" or smaller monitors) are allowed to be shipped with XP, check out the EEE, MiniNote, MSI Wind and Aspire One. Anyways this is new news to me, I though they were selling until 2009 :(.

GearsOfWar
03-07-2008, 04:39 PM
If you originally bought the laptop with Vista I doubt you can downgrade, if possible all your sound drivers and everything will be messed up.

HotelUser
03-07-2008, 05:25 PM
If you originally bought the laptop with Vista I doubt you can downgrade, if possible all your sound drivers and everything will be messed up.

Um? Please read my other posts, and what I require. An Acer recovery disk would be shipped WITH drives.

Oleh
07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Well i know acer has a great support (Uk anyway) as i just sent my laptop off for hard-drive repairs and Its gonna be back within 15 days (also my insurance company got my laptop off them for free its a acer travelmate 5720 comes pre-install with a Vista homepremium usually costs around £450 my old laptop hardly had anything on it as in cpu graphics card and what not)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!