PDA

View Full Version : Hancock

Misawa
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
So I decided to go and see Hancock today, starring Will Smith. Not an actor I particularly admire as I dislike a lot of the films he is featured in, particularly I Am Legend, which I believe to be one of the most overrated films of all time. Anyway, Hancock, a film I had actually been looking forward to for a little while. I was hoping that there was to be a press screening, for the fact that, firstly, it would be free for me to see, seemed like an articulate film that would be interesting to review for the newspaper I write for, and finally, because when I anticipate something, I tend to want to see it quicker :D. Unfortunately, there was no press screening for Hancock, but there was for Kung Fu Panda, and some of you may know I really am not a fan of animated films, and thoroughly did not enjoy this latest Jack Black venture.

I will probably write a more detailed review tomorrow as I am going out momentarily, but in short, it was an enjoyable film throughout, right until the third act, when it really did go down hill. Good action, some nice adult humour, a little too CGI-rich that doesn't look that great too. There is also a nice little reference to the abismal, Cloverfield, if you can spot that. Anyway, for now, ciao.

Edit by Coldplay (Forum Moderator); Two threads merged.

-Eyeless-
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
I love the fact that your intro was bigger than your review ;)

I reckon I will still see it, (I like Will Smith ;))

Coldplay
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm going to see it just for Will Smith also.

=]

-Eyeless-
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
HE HAS THE SAME NAME AS ME ;) but I do like his "comedy" films bad boys was also good ;)

Jord
02-07-2008, 11:56 PM
HE HAS THE SAME NAME AS ME ;) but I do like his "comedy" films bad boys was also good ;)

Loved bad boys :D

Im gonna see hancock soon maybe next week.

Moh
03-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Humm, I would like to see this, but the people I used to go to cinema with live miles away (Used to go after college when we where in town).
Looks like I'm going to have to find some one else to go with :(

If not, it shall be on DVD in a few months.

Neil
03-07-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm going to see this on tuesday, looks pretty good but not worth the stupid cinema ticket prices xD

Art
03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Supposedly its really bad?

Inseriousity.
03-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I hate it when they hype up the trialers to make you go and see it and it turns out to be crap lmao (obviously, that's the whole point of it) so yeah, I'll probably go and watch it too.. :)

Jord
03-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Yeh put the best/Funnyest in the trailers.

Danzilla
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I went to see last night, when it came out. Its a really good film but its not got that many funny parts which is a letdown.

Neversoft
03-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I was going to go see yesterday on the opening day, but suddenly became ill. Maybe it's a sign... :O I'm not too interested in it anyway, IMDb didn't say it was very good. I'll definitely see Kung-Fu Panda though.

Technologic
03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I saw it tonight, it's actually pretty good. I'd say go see it to enjoy not criticise it

Mitch4?
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I saw it last night lol.
Was a giggle (H)

"Well you should sue McDonalds cause it looks like they've been screwing you over"
"Hit him in the *REMOVED* spot so hard it can only be used for a fan to keep the dust out of his crack"
ahaha
film was pretty obvious to figure out what would happen, but still confusing at same time.
Not worth £6.95 that VUE ask for, but still, it's a good film to watch

Edit by Coldplay (Forum Moderator); Please do not avoid the forum filter.

Charly
04-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I went to see last night, when it came out. Its a really good film but its not got that many funny parts which is a letdown.

Its not meant to be a comedy lol :P
I wanna go see it, ratings outta 10?

Purple
04-07-2008, 02:45 PM
This film is getting a bad rap by critics for no apparant reason. It is in no way your average super hero movie. It kept me guessing and laughing the entire time, which for me is exactly what I want out of the movie. Was it the perfect movie? Nah, but I still loved it, and would reccomend it to anyone who thinks they may want to see it. 9/10!

Misawa
04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Its not meant to be a comedy lol :P
I wanna go see it, ratings outta 10?

Uh, yes, it is a comedy.

Fehm
04-07-2008, 03:08 PM
I love movies with Will Smith in so.. I GUESS IM OFF DOWN TEH PICTURES

Mitch4?
04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
I'd give it a healthy 7 out of 10 :)

Hiro
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Humm, I would like to see this, but the people I used to go to cinema with live miles away (Used to go after college when we where in town).
Looks like I'm going to have to find some one else to go with :(

If not, it shall be on DVD in a few months.

I'll go with you Jack!
I'm lazy, so I'm downloading it, I hate paying the prices they have in cinemas tbh.

Loqo
04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Am going to watch it. Cant this weekend as I am going to Silverstone tommorow. Will next week thought.

lAscend
04-07-2008, 07:38 PM
I so want to see this, i liked the advert on TV and it looked great!

Hiro
04-07-2008, 10:50 PM
It's actually not that bad. I was expecting worse, I'd still give it a clumsy 7.5/10.

Misawa
04-07-2008, 11:53 PM
In my eyes 7/10 makes for a very good film.

Hiro
04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
In my eyes 7/10 makes for a very good film.

Yeah, but it had loads of room for improvement, I would have loved to know more about where they came from or how they became who they are, should have added to the story a bit. Also, the ending (well near it) was predictable..

Jord
05-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I liked it was funny :P

8/10.

Danzilla
05-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but it had loads of room for improvement, I would have loved to know more about where they came from or how they became who they are, should have added to the story a bit. Also, the ending (well near it) was predictable..

I kinda predicted that Hancock and that guys wife where somehow related when they first met by the way she kept looking at him in that nasty way and the way she spoke to him like she knew him ect.
The best bit had to be the bit with the train.
"We should sue you Hancock for what you do!
I think you should sue MacDonnalds coz' they *REMOVED* you up!"
Gotta love it, the way he said it made me lol so hard.
I would give it a 7/10.

Edit by Coldplay (Forum Moderator); Please do not avoid the forum filter, and please use spoilers when revealing serious plot information.

Misawa
05-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Someone -repped me for this thread? Haha. Pathetic.

I went and watched this film today, I give it a 9/10, It was all good and that, very good Action film and comedy LOL, I hope they make a second one!

Thats $99.10 Please LOL

Hiro
06-07-2008, 12:06 AM
I kinda predicted that Hancock and that guys wife where somehow related when they first met by the way she kept looking at him in that nasty way and the way she spoke to him like she knew him ect.
The best bit had to be the bit with the train.
"We should sue you Hancock for what you do!
I think you should sue MacDonnalds coz' they *REMOVED* you up!"
Gotta love it, the way he said it made me lol so hard.
I would give it a 7/10.

Edit by Coldplay (Forum Moderator); Please do not avoid the forum filter, and please use spoilers when revealing serious plot information.

Haha, yeah that part was funny (:

Clowgon
08-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Hancock, the story of a drinking, swearing superhero starring Will Smith, has powered its way to the top of the UK box office in its debut week.

The film took £9.59m between Friday and Sunday knocking Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian off the top spot.

Kung Fu Panda, a cartoon about a panda who tries to save his jungle from leopard villains, took £4.38m on its opening weekend making second place. Prince Caspian was in third followed by Wanted and Sex and the City

Anyone seen Hancock? Ratings out of 10?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7495763.stm

Thread moved from World News And Politics by ,Jess, (Forum Super Moderator): Please post in the correct section in future.

Edited by VBT-700 (Forum Moderator): Two similar threads merged :)

Neil
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I saw it today, it was funny but not exactly great, saw some good trailers though

Meet Dave and Get Smart look worth watching

Technologic
08-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd give it an 7/10 considering it was orginally meant to be an 18 but they cut loads of it out to make it 12A

Joshuae
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah they look brilliant.

Joshuae
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
This is not world news, political, religious or philosophy.
Put this in the movies section. :rolleyes:

Misawa
08-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Already a Hancock thread that I made. Please close.

Joshuae
08-07-2008, 09:01 PM
The muppet decided this was world news, posted it there, then I got it moved here, where there's already one.

Man, some people are very "ignorant"

N-Dubz
08-07-2008, 11:10 PM
I love Will Smith!
He's a brilliant actor, Hancock's ending annoyed me but yeah it was cool.. :D

Stacey.
09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm going to see it on Friday, the trailer looks good, I'm hoping not all the good bits are in the trailer, like some films I've seen.

Joshuae
09-07-2008, 11:13 PM
It was quite dissapointing actually, yeah some funny lines but it was a let down for Smith.

It'll be overrated like I Am Legend.

-Eyeless-
11-07-2008, 04:20 PM
OMG WHY WHY WHY!!That was so annoying! Why did they have the underlying love story? Why did thye have to continue it after he had flown off towards the moon. Would have been so much better (And might of made the film OK) if they just left it at him lying there dieing or if they had left it at him going out the building and her coming back to life...

DISSAPOINTING!

flatface
11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm hopping to see it soon.

today
11-07-2008, 05:40 PM
I've seen this last night on my ipod and my lord was it good. :]

Go watch it

Misawa
11-07-2008, 06:12 PM
The flight to the moon to reveal the heart logo was to heighten the comedy as well as be a metaphor of course, for love. The humour of the image on the moon was that there was a joke by a beer company about projecting their logo for "lunar advertising".

-Eyeless-
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Yea I know but just because it is a comedy film doesn't mean they can't have serious endings and it was just totally disappointing

Misawa
11-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Absolutely no idea how it had a 12A certificate. Studio bribary methinks, it happens. 12 at the very least, pushing for a 15 with the amount of language.

FlyingJesus
12-07-2008, 02:05 AM
I liked Hancock.. the first half and maybe more was really good, but once he turned all good guy and the love story came through it wasn't quite as entertaining. The raw power of the start where he really is just some random guy with superpowers is great in my view, but it gets too tame. The true tragedy of the film is that they sacrificed what could have been an absolutely incredible film with more graphic language and footage for the 12a certificate just so they could get a few kids to go along too. If they'd thought "screw" and made it a 15 or even 18 they could have taken it much further.

Havoline
12-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Absolutely no idea how it had a 12A certificate. Studio bribary methinks, it happens. 12 at the very least, pushing for a 15 with the amount of language.

Pfft. You'd believe the amount of 11 year olds who don't stop swearing in the streets.

Misawa
12-07-2008, 02:15 AM
I know that, but that's them. The Film Classification Board makes the decisions after viewing a film for certificates, and studio bribary is known to happen, as films push for lower certificates whatever they might be.

Havoline
12-07-2008, 02:17 AM
I'm sure 12 is reasonable :P

Misawa
12-07-2008, 04:06 AM
As dramatically as the eligibility of certificates has changed in the last ten years, the content of Hancock was far too explicit to be rated 12A, it should have been at least a standard 12.

Coldplay
12-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Theres no such thing as 12 anymore, they replaced it with 12A

Misawa
12-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Ah, I never noticed it had been abolished, 12 and 12A ran side-by-side for years. Going with the latter rather than the former shows how the Board is going for a more American approach with their PG-13-esque rule.

Roboevil
12-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I thought the film was quite enjoyable, nothing to get too excited over though. There was too much fluctuation of emotion, especially toward the end... I don't really know what genre of film this catagorises into.

I'd like to of read the book really, it all seemed a little illogical at times when the origins and past was explained. It felt like what could of been in-depth, detailed amounts of story from the book, was crammed into about 30 seconds of film.

Misawa
12-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Indeed. The story was too complicated and unexplained in the 90 minutes; the script should have made for two hours.

Plux
12-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Bah, I'll either see Forbidden Kingdom or Hancock today, XD
Not sure now, due to the you guys opinions

Misawa
12-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I thought the film was quite enjoyable, nothing to get too excited over though. There was too much fluctuation of emotion, especially toward the end... I don't really know what genre of film this catagorises into.

I'd like to of read the book really, it all seemed a little illogical at times when the origins and past was explained. It felt like what could of been in-depth, detailed amounts of story from the book, was crammed into about 30 seconds of film.

Oh and there is no book to my knowledge. It was an original story for film.

Neil
12-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree with Misawa, there is far too much gore and swearing for it to be a 12A
Though kids grow up with this stuff now, I have seen cartoons like Ed, Edd and Eddy, Gadget Boy, Dexters Lab and some others and they contain quite a bit of adult humour sometimes

FlyingJesus
12-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I'd also have liked to see her getting ragged

Plux
12-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Yeah it contained all the basics of a 15, too short for the storyline, but decent.

-Wolverine
15-07-2008, 12:31 PM
I liked Hancock.. the first half and maybe more was really good, but once he turned all good guy and the love story came through it wasn't quite as entertaining. The raw power of the start where he really is just some random guy with superpowers is great in my view, but it gets too tame.

Pretty much agree with everything here. Hancock is a great movie and certainly doesn't deserve it's bad ratings, it could have been an amazing movie if they just followed through with him being a bad superhero turning good storyline, but the stupid twist in the middle of the movie just ruined it. It is a very funny and entertaining movie, it's a good movie and is worth the watch.

helenhiya
15-07-2008, 02:47 PM
So I decided to go and see Hancock today, starring Will Smith. Not an actor I particularly admire as I dislike a lot of the films he is featured in, particularly I Am Legend

how could you not like I Am Legend? I thought it was one of the best films I'd seen in ages.

I can't wait to see Hancock, love Will Smith :D

Kardan
15-07-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think the film was that good, Will Smith could easily have performed better, it was as if he was on auto pilot...

I don't think it lived up to what I expected from his other films, although it did have parts which were amusing to watch.

Joshuae
15-07-2008, 02:57 PM
how could you not like I Am Legend? I thought it was one of the best films I'd seen in ages.

I can't wait to see Hancock, love Will Smith :D

It was over-rated, overly CGI'd...

Looochella
20-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Okay so, i went to see Hancock on friday night, and i didnt think that it was as good as i expected it to be.
I want to know your different opinions on it.
ONLY IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE FILM.
I found some parts entertaining, whereas other parts of the film were slightly boring.
Your opinions please :)

*REMOVED*

Edit by Coldplay (Forum Moderator); Please do not ask for reputation indirectly.

Meanies
20-07-2008, 08:58 PM
What would you rate it out of 10?
I was going to see it on Tuesday but went to the beach instead.

Joshuae
20-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Already a thread. :rolleyes:

But 7/10.

Mildly enjoyable, but way too short.

Nemo
20-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I might see it, not too sure though. Looked a bit corny in the advert

Fez
20-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Already a thread. :rolleyes:

But 7/10.

Mildly enjoyable, but way too short.
More like 6/10 for me

Kardan
20-07-2008, 09:53 PM
As I've said before, it's a poor film... Will Smith has performed much better recently, didn't live up to my expectations.

4/10.

Caution
20-07-2008, 09:55 PM
7/10 was quite funny.

Looochella
20-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I would rate is around 4/10
I didnt enjoy it as much as i expected to.

Roboevil
20-07-2008, 10:12 PM
I had the quite opposite opinion-it was much better than I thought. It was still crap, but better than I'd expected.

It's a Will Smith film though so why should anything good be expected. The overall theme of an bum anti-hero was nice to start with. However it seemed to progress into this confusing, illogical storyline-the book probably made more sense.
I feel like I'm repeating myself, is there already a Hancock thread?

Looochella
21-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I had the quite opposite opinion-it was much better than I thought. It was still crap, but better than I'd expected.

It's a Will Smith film though so why should anything good be expected. The overall theme of an bum anti-hero was nice to start with. However it seemed to progress into this confusing, illogical storyline-the book probably made more sense.
I feel like I'm repeating myself, is there already a Hancock thread?
I have no idea whether there is another Hancock thread.
I know what you mean about the story line of the film.
I haven't even read the book, i just decided to watch the film, is there even a book? lol.

Tarantula
21-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I thought that the comedy introduced into it didn't fit the storyline if you know what I mean...
Yet, overall, not a bad film I suppose, went to the cinema with gf originally to see "Mama Mia!", luckily had sold out so we saw Hancock instead, so can't complain.

Anyway...
7/10 from me.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!