PDA

View Full Version : Wireless [HELP]

Kevin
03-07-2008, 05:29 PM
I have a laptop with a wireless card built in, and i have a desktop with no wireless cards. Is it possible to connect my laptop to my PC to enable internet on the desktop? Through a ethernet cable or somthing.

Please reply

-Kevv

Jack.Lfc
03-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Nahh ive tried with mine. Wouldnt work.

EDIT : Buy a wireless adapter they are only cheap for your desktop.

IDontKnow
03-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Nahh ive tried with mine. Wouldnt work.

EDIT : Buy a wireless adapter they are only cheap for your desktop.

Yeah, Netgear systems are cheap as. If you want I may have one lying around I could send you free of charge. Otherwise surely you can get an ethernet cable and plug it from your router into your desktop and still have it wireless on your laptop. Most hubs/routers allow both desktop and wireless access.

Kevin
03-07-2008, 06:03 PM
It would be great if you could send me the adaptor, but it wouldent be fair on youreself as im located in Ireland :(

IDontKnow
03-07-2008, 06:05 PM
It would be great if you could send me the adaptor, but it wouldent be fair on youreself as im located in Ireland :(

It's not a problem at all! I'll see if I can find a spare Netgear router and adapter tonight.

Trinity
03-07-2008, 06:12 PM

If you don't want it, I'll have it ;)
But yeah, as Jason said, can't you just connect your pc to your router through ethernet?
Unless you're doing what I do, and using laptop wireless to connect to neighbours router, in which case, I don't know.

Kevin
03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Jason, thank you SO Much. You're the only genuinely nice person i've met on this forum. It means alot to me bruv xD.

-Kevvv :D

IDontKnow
03-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Jason, thank you SO Much. You're the only genuinely nice person i've met on this forum. It means alot to me bruv xD.

-Kevvv :D

Hey Kev,

No probs what so ever. Always happy to help! I'll start looking shortly when I've finished working.

iUnknown
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Surely you must have a router already if you're using wireless internet? :P

Unless you're using someone elses internet....

A quick google found me this:

http://www.directron.com/usbwifi.html

If you just plug them into a PC through USB it can act as a wireless card, therefore, allowing you to connect to the internet wirelessly.

awelsh
04-07-2008, 08:33 PM
You might be able to share the connection from the laptop, Ive got my laptops wireless connection shared with my xbox360 through an ethernet cable so my xbox can connect wirelessly.

Ill try and find you a guide now on youtube that I used, just instead of sharing the the xbox you would be charing with a pc, could work but im not 100% sure

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VPR--MNoFbE

except instead of plugging the ethernet from laptop to a xbox360 plug it into your desktop pc, your laptop will have to be on though for the wireless to share.

Independent
07-07-2008, 01:11 AM
You can do it via ethernet, but your speeds will be slower than usual.

Network options -> Allow internet to be shared via this computer.

or something, do this on the laptop.

Good luck.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!