PDA

View Full Version : wireless [problem]

msb.
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
My wireless, it often disconnects and goes very slow...
What can this be :eusa_wall?

It says signal strength: Very good

where as on another wireless, it rates with the full bars aka excellant

Can something be interfering with the signal?
E.g. Wireless house phones?

Trinity
03-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Is there anything else connected to the router?

msb.
03-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Is there anything else connected to the router?
just my wireless router into a wire attached to the back of my computer

Jack.Lfc
03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
It might be the wireless card in your laptop. Thats what the problem for me was when this happend.

Hiro
03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Is your router plugged into your MAIN telephone socket?
This is a problem with mine, you get better signal strength, speed and connection if it is in your main socket as if it isn't the copper in the wires decreases in quality as it bends around the house.

What is the wire that the router goes into?
Or do you mean an Ethernet cable attached to the router and computer? If that's the case you should have a LAN connection?

msb.
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Is your router plugged into your MAIN telephone socket?
This is a problem with mine, you get better signal strength, speed and connection if it is in your main socket as if it isn't the copper in the wires decreases in quality as it bends around the house.

What is the wire that the router goes into?
Or do you mean an Ethernet cable attached to the router and computer? If that's the case you should have a LAN connection?
Erm basically:

-Broadband computer
-Wireless router (broadband wire in WR and then plug into a plug wall)
My computer with a usb adaptor which collects the signal which is in the back of my computer using wires.

It might be the wireless card in your laptop. Thats what the problem for me was when this happend.
I have a computer not laptop :)

Independent
08-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Erm basically:

-Broadband computer
My computer with a usb adaptor which collects the signal which is in the back of my computer using wires.

I have a computer not laptop :)
You can't use both ethernet and wireless and expect your computer to work correctly?

iUnknown
08-07-2008, 11:33 PM
All you should need is ethernet, if that's never worked so you use wireless then the wireless usb thing might have stopped working.

msb.
09-07-2008, 11:07 PM
wth is ethernet, explain pls

Leetzgirl
09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Do you have internet by wire aswell wireless?

Ethernet = wire basiully.

Hiro
10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
The Ethernet cable is the cable that goes from the router to a port in your PC, usually looks like this:
http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/notebook/photo/notebook_network_port.jpg

If you are just using a USB Network Adaptor, it could be possible that the connections on the circuit board have burnt out (very common).

If you have both, a wire and USB, in your PC it would be better to take the USB out and just get a LAN (Local Area Connection) from your router, as it will be faster.

msb.
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
The Ethernet cable is the cable that goes from the router to a port in your PC, usually looks like this:
http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/notebook/photo/notebook_network_port.jpg

If you are just using a USB Network Adaptor, it could be possible that the connections on the circuit board have burnt out (very common).

If you have both, a wire and USB, in your PC it would be better to take the USB out and just get a LAN (Local Area Connection) from your router, as it will be faster.

oh yes the router has a wire that goes from the router to a port of the pc

and then a usb which collects the signal.

Hiro
10-07-2008, 06:48 PM

So the wire goes into your PC?
Do you also use the USB?

If you do, don't use the USB.

msb.
12-07-2008, 03:26 PM
So the wire goes into your PC?
Do you also use the USB?

If you do, don't use the USB.
but i need a usb to pick up the signal :l

PaintYourTarget
12-07-2008, 03:37 PM
If you're using the cable, the signal will go down that - not wirelessly. The idea of wireless is that there's no wires, yet you're using a cable so there's no point in having wireless.

msb.
12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
If you're using the cable, the signal will go down that - not wirelessly. The idea of wireless is that there's no wires, yet you're using a cable so there's no point in having wireless.

Erm basically:

-Broadband computer

above^^^

PaintYourTarget
12-07-2008, 03:41 PM

You just said there that a cable goes from the router to the pc, which means it's not wireless and the usb adapter is pointless.

But if you're going to get arsey and answer like you did above, I just wont bother.

msb.
12-07-2008, 03:45 PM
You just said there that a cable goes from the router to the pc, which means it's not wireless and the usb adapter is pointless.

But if you're going to get arsey and answer like you did above, I just wont bother.
no i am just getting confused

what can't you understand from the below?

PaintYourTarget
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
If there's a cable going from your wireless router to your pc then it's not wireless. Either unplug the cable from your pc port or unplug the usb wireless in your pc as you don't need both.

The Professor
12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Lol msb I'm so confused. Draw us a pictureor something :P

msb.
13-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Lol msb I'm so confused. Draw us a pictureor something :P

Computer 1
|
|
|
|
\/
Has broadband, which 1 of the wires from the broadband goes into the router, so it is like a circuit (broadband wires into router, router wire into plug so it is powered on etc...)
|
|
|
\/
Computer 2, has a adapter, which collects the signal which is plugged in the back of the tower and only works if the usb is plugged in.
|
|
|
\/
Internet works on both computers if a connection is made and all the wires are in, so that means broadband wires in the router and the router wire in the plug to power and for computer 2, the usb (wireless reciever) is plugged in the back of the tower.

Do you get it now :)?

PaintYourTarget
13-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Now you've told us there's 2 PC's then yes, it's much clearer.And obviously, if you're dividing one internet between two PC's it's going to be half as fast on both... unless you phone your ISP and pay a little extra per month for a second IP address.

Leetzgirl
13-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Still dont get it "/

Why not just get both pc's to connect stright from router?

Jack!
14-07-2008, 12:31 PM
wth u mean pay for 2 I.P .. I dont. All i do is set up my xomputer both for wireless then have :

Wall - Router - Belkin box that send the singla then my computer and laptop can pick it up from my belkin stick in my computer and my laptop picks it up anyway

msb.
16-07-2008, 10:01 PM
nvm forget it :l

its okay now... well gonna have to be.

PaintYourTarget
16-07-2008, 10:18 PM
wth u mean pay for 2 I.P .. I dont. All i do is set up my xomputer both for wireless then have :

Wall - Router - Belkin box that send the singla then my computer and laptop can pick it up from my belkin stick in my computer and my laptop picks it up anyway
When I used to split my connection between my 2 pc's and xbox it used to make it sinfully slow, £2 extra a month got me a 2nd IP and somehow siginifically increased the speed... well on the xbox anyway.

And what don't you get? You're splitting one connection between two pc's - of course it'll be slow. Buy faster broadband.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!