PDA

View Full Version : Needing feedback on my layout

--ss--
05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Well I made this layout a few weeks ago and haven't had a chance to finish it yet as i'm not exactly too sure one what to do to make it look 'complete'.

This layout is going to be used for an project blog kinda site where I can post updates on little stuff and so on so it's not meant to be anything fancy and i'm trying to keep it simple.

The site is coded fully in CSS and i'm not using any images at all to keep the load time as low as possible so there isn't many fancy things I can do anyway.
I've tried adding box 'headers' but it just doesn't look right :(

http://shanes.sawhosting.com/abc.php Feedback plox

Javascrypt
05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Nice and simple, Thats the way to do it.

RyanDOT
05-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Nice and simple, Thats the way to do it.

Great way to say it.

Very good layout. I like it alot actually.

-Eyeless-
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Its good it isn't overpowering and it is just beautifully simple ;)

Jahova
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Indeed, simple and true.

Test:Tube:Baby
05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I love the simplicity of it ;)

I don't really like the gray boxes though, but maybe that's just me. :D

--ss--
05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys <3
I like how it turned out but I still think it looks incomplete but I just don't know what to do :'(

Independent
05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Remove that white border, and it looks lovely.

Content: If you use this I'd suggest you did a &raquo; on every nav link. but that's not really important ;)

Dentafrice
05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
I like it, it is really good, but the thing is I hate that white box :P Try removing it and it will be perfect.

Independent
05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I like it, it is really good, but the thing is I hate that white box :P Try removing it and it will be perfect.
Affirmitive. ;)

Jahova
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Indeed governor, the whitebox is under custody.

--ss--
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Remove that white border, and it looks lovely.

Content: If you use this I'd suggest you did a &raquo; on every nav link. but that's not really important ;)
Thanks for the advice and I will be doing so :)

Thanks, but which white box do you mean?

Dentafrice
05-07-2008, 01:39 PM
The border, that surrounds the whole thing in a box :P

--ss--
05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
The border, that surrounds the whole thing in a box :P
*Cri* I like it as it's meant to give it an shinning effect :(
But I guess no one likes it so it has to go :(

Dentafrice
05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
How could that make it shining? :P

http://www.tehupload.com/images/app-148063497106543563.png

shizzle
05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Thats alright, simple and effective.

Jahova
05-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Rofl, Shining effect!
It has no shining effect as it's the complete wrong size..

NEW-START
05-07-2008, 01:54 PM
It's boring and old fashioned, makes me think that I'm in the early 90's.

It seriously is dull and depressing. SharpeNews even looks better than it and woah that's saying something. If that was a blog for a new application I wouldn't even bother getting the application. The layout just is not modern at all and looks like a rainy day.

http://famfamfam.com/

That is simple and modern, not whatever the hell you have.

--ss--
05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
How could that make it shining? :P

http://www.tehupload.com/images/app-148063497106543563.png
*scratches head*
Isn't like that for me :'(
*fixes*
http://www.tehupload.com/images/2430530100111111.PNG
Actually I don't know how :'(

Dentafrice
05-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I like it better, without it :D Or add it to the image..

--ss--
05-07-2008, 02:06 PM
It's boring and old fashioned, makes me think that I'm in the early 90's.

It seriously is dull and depressing. SharpeNews even looks better than it and woah that's saying something. If that was a blog for a new application I wouldn't even bother getting the application. The layout just is not modern at all and looks like a rainy day.

http://famfamfam.com/

That is simple and modern, not whatever the hell you have.
Thank's for the C&C but I disagree.

The famfamfam layout may be 'modern' but It's just not my type. Too me that layout is just an bunch text coloured aligned in places. I personally would get bored looking at that layout as I prefer to be looking at something other than an white background with text, even if it may be an different colour. ( It looks good at the top but when you scroll down it looks blank ).
Everyone has their own preferences.

Caleb, the screenshot I posted is what it currently looks like for me, i'm guessing the border looks messed up for others due to resolution differences :(.

Decode
05-07-2008, 02:16 PM
*scratches head*
Isn't like that for me :'(
*fixes*
http://www.tehupload.com/images/2430530100111111.PNG
Actually I don't know how :'(
I can see the border on FF3, its streatched across the page, other than that its a good layout :)

Dentafrice
Yeah I am using FF3 also, not sure about FF2.

Jahova
Messed up for me.
It doesn't hug the black border, when it's supposed to.

EDIT: Usuing IE and FF2.

--ss--
05-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I've removed it now :)

Jahova
05-07-2008, 02:24 PM
You could've kept it.
There was just obviously somthing wrong in the HTML.

Decode
05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
You could've kept it.
There was just obviously somthing wrong in the HTML.
There obviously wasn't because the border was using css.

Jahova
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Wrong CSS then :P
Their would be some way to fix it for multi-browsers.

NEW-START
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Thank's for the C&C but I disagree.

The famfamfam layout may be 'modern' but It's just not my type. Too me that layout is just an bunch text coloured aligned in places. I personally would get bored looking at that layout as I prefer to be looking at something other than an white background with text, even if it may be an different colour. ( It looks good at the top but when you scroll down it looks blank ).
Everyone has their own preferences.

It is. It's simple and colourful. All his site is for is to read about him, get icons and subscribe to his RSS.

It would be obvious to say it's not your type if your type is that old fashioned thing you produced.

Luckyrare
05-07-2008, 05:15 PM
The "Copyrighted --ss--" is out of place in FF3 (Mac)

Other than that it should take up the page rather than half, also very grey...

Other than that a nice creation

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5656/picture4bo8.png
http://www.2shared.com/file/3548925/377497a4/Picture_2.html

BlueTango
05-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Simple..... Loving the Blue parts.

Well done

--ss--
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
It is. It's simple and colourful. All his site is for is to read about him, get icons and subscribe to his RSS.

It would be obvious to say it's not your type if your type is that old fashioned thing you produced.
Well if you think the work I produce is old fashioned or outdated then you must be quite young and new to the internet seeing as you probably weren't around for the MS frontpage style era off the internet which would be classed as 'outdated'.
I know the layout isn't that modern or 'wow' worthy as that's no the purpose as I want to keep it all simple and the main eye attraction should be the actual content/text on page.
But I will take your advice and try make it look more up to date :).

The "Copyrighted --ss--" is out of place in FF3 (Mac)

Other than that it should take up the page rather than half, also very grey...

Other than that a nice creation

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5656/picture4bo8.png
http://www.2shared.com/file/3548925/377497a4/Picture_2.html
I'm not the best with designing and colours so I didn't bother designing it, instead I just coded all the divs to make an decent placement for the boxes and well just got random hex's to try make an colour scheme and shades off grey were the only ones that caught my eye :(

Thanks for pointing the error out, should be fixed now :)

NEW-START
05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Well if you think the work I produce is old fashioned or outdated then you must be quite young and new to the internet seeing as you probably weren't around for the MS frontpage style era off the internet which would be classed as 'outdated'.
I know the layout isn't that modern or 'wow' worthy as that's no the purpose as I want to keep it all simple and the main eye attraction should be the actual content/text on page.
But I will take your advice and try make it look more up to date :).

Young and new to the internet? Far from it. Your layout is something I would have saw back in 2002.

You have just completely contradicted yourself there. You first of all said your work is not old fashioned, then went on to say you will try to make your future layotus look more up to date.

I'm wanting you to be able to design modernly but it's obvious you are satasfied fully with the work you produce right now so there is honestly no point in me attempting to help you design better.

--ss--
06-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Young and new to the internet? Far from it. Your layout is something I would have saw back in 2002.

You have just completely contradicted yourself there. You first of all said your work is not old fashioned, then went on to say you will try to make your future layotus look more up to date.

I'm wanting you to be able to design modernly but it's obvious you are satasfied fully with the work you produce right now so there is honestly no point in me attempting to help you design better.
The layout isn't either "old fashioned" (or from the 90's like you stated) or one off those extremely modern layouts which are either full off effects or have nothing on them at all.
I would say my sort off style is an little outdated (maybe a year behind but not a decade back) and that is because I like to keep everything nice and simple and not complicate things.

It'd be more helpful for me if you stated what about is not 'modern' and can be bought upto date instead off slating it and saying it looks it stuck in an timewarp from the early stages off the net.

Nereo
06-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow is it just me or is that really dull?

I like the way its laid out and stuff but the colour scheme is just...eww :P

Minstrels
06-07-2008, 06:40 PM
That's the best layout ever. It's so good. It's beautiful. I have never seen anything better. It's so amazing. It's great. It's truly hot. It's the best thing since the internet. That is so good. You couldn't buy one better than that. That layout there is simply splendid. Well done, good job. It must have taken ages to make because it is simply amazing. Well done, it's amazing hot. It's so good. It's amazingly worked out, it must have taken hours if not days to think it through. How you got the lines so straight. How you got those tricky little hyperlinks to work. Oh how good is it. I bet nobody in the world could do better, well done old friend, old pal you mate of mine. It's splendid, give yourself a pat on the back! :eusa_clap

redtom
06-07-2008, 06:51 PM
In my opinion I think you need to redo the colours it's looking really dull and boring how it is, plus I don't see why the fuss over pure CSS and no images at all I would rather my users have a second or 2 to load the page the first time they vist a site to load the images then be restricted to CSS only.

Flisker
07-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice layout Shane :) Simplicity is the way!

Cushioned
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Well done.

Blinger1
08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Nice layout Shane :) Simplicity is the way!
Thank you :)!

And it does look dull in my opinion.

NEW-START
09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
The layout isn't either "old fashioned" (or from the 90's like you stated) or one off those extremely modern layouts which are either full off effects or have nothing on them at all.
I would say my sort off style is an little outdated (maybe a year behind but not a decade back) and that is because I like to keep everything nice and simple and not complicate things.

It'd be more helpful for me if you stated what about is not 'modern' and can be bought upto date instead off slating it and saying it looks it stuck in an timewarp from the early stages off the net.

It is indeed outdated, by far. It's boring, dull and uneventful. Look at modern sites, ever heard of CSS Galleries? Go get some inspiration and eat your heart out: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=css+gallery&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Your current style is boring and, bluntly, crap.

Wow is it just me or is that really dull?

I like the way its laid out and stuff but the colour scheme is just...eww :P

Nope, not just you, lol.

That's the best layout ever. It's so good. It's beautiful. I have never seen anything better. It's so amazing. It's great. It's truly hot. It's the best thing since the internet. That is so good. You couldn't buy one better than that. That layout there is simply splendid. Well done, good job. It must have taken ages to make because it is simply amazing. Well done, it's amazing hot. It's so good. It's amazingly worked out, it must have taken hours if not days to think it through. How you got the lines so straight. How you got those tricky little hyperlinks to work. Oh how good is it. I bet nobody in the world could do better, well done old friend, old pal you mate of mine. It's splendid, give yourself a pat on the back! :eusa_clap

THATS THE BEST POST I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. FANTASTIC USE OF TEXT AND COLOUR.

WELL DONE. GIVE YOURSELF A PAT ON THE BACK.

In my opinion I think you need to redo the colours it's looking really dull and boring how it is, plus I don't see why the fuss over pure CSS and no images at all I would rather my users have a second or 2 to load the page the first time they vist a site to load the images then be restricted to CSS only.

Exactly! I'd rather have my visitors wait three seconds for everything to load and have a lovely designed website than instantly load up this nonsense (http://shanes.sawhosting.com/abc.php).

kk.
09-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I dont particularly like it. The colours are a bit boring together and although its simple, its rather boring. Try change colours to be more appealing.

And for once, I agree with new start

--ss--
09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the feedback but I guess you guys are right seeing it is a tad little boring but I can't think off anyways off spicing it up. I'm going to give up with it and make a completely different one.

Seeing as I'm not going to use it now anyone can have it and use it as a free layout as long as the disclaimer in the CSS stays in tact (The line with the md5).

Coldplay
09-07-2008, 04:22 PM
It is too boring =] I dont like the grey either, if you removed the white box and made the grey boxes white it'd be effective.

But it is TOO simple =]

flatface
09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
It is too boring =] I dont like the grey either, if you removed the white box and made the grey boxes white it'd be effective.

But it is TOO simple =]

I agree :)

Josh-H
09-07-2008, 07:35 PM
It looks a little too empty for my liking. Add another box for a header ABOVE the navigation.

It's ok though, much better than the usual garbage in this forum.

NEW-START
09-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the feedback but I guess you guys are right seeing it is a tad little boring but I can't think off anyways off spicing it up. I'm going to give up with it and make a completely different one.

Seeing as I'm not going to use it now anyone can have it and use it as a free layout as long as the disclaimer in the CSS stays in tact (The line with the md5).

To be fully honest, I'd remove the copyright if I was you as I wouldn't wish to be linked to the designing of such a boring design.

--ss--
09-07-2008, 08:10 PM
To be fully honest, I'd remove the copyright if I was you as I wouldn't wish to be linked to the designing of such a boring design.
My designs may not be the best but I actually do think i'm quite good at coding, don't really care if my name is removed from the actual footer aslong as the md5 remains in the CSS as coding is my main aspect :).

NEW-START
09-07-2008, 10:29 PM
My designs may not be the best but I actually do think i'm quite good at coding, don't really care if my name is removed from the actual footer aslong as the md5 remains in the CSS as coding is my main aspect :).

Ummm... I'd pass, to be honest.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!