PDA

View Full Version : compguy11.com + forums closeing down :'(

Tomm
24-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi,

Compguy has just said that the forums are closing down :'( :

For the past roughly 6 monthes I have provided a great service to everyone that has come to me with a problem or a situation...now...this is all becoming a great burden on me...this is not personal to anyone at all...I love you all...you all brought me such laughter and kept me going, but times are going to get hard for me and my family...we will be taking some vacations and then I will be starting high school.

Hosting these forums has been great, but I plan to be involved in high school with activities and other volunteer things that I'm already involved in. While doing these activities, the only thing that can cross my mind is "Are the sites going to go down...what will happen"

So, I am basically saying that I want to close all this down, but I want everyone to understand first what's up.

1. PLEASE PLEASE make an SQL backup of your forum and even backup the files via FTP to your computer...then if you ever do get some money, there are great hosts out there to continue with your forum.

2. This obviously means I don't want forums to continue to run while I'm not around, so please turn your boards offline when you have gotten everything you need.

NOBODY SAYS YOU CAN'T GET AN SQL BACKUP OF YOUR FORUM AND GET THE FILES FROM THE FTP AND MOVE THE FORUM ONTO A DIFFERENT HOST. THAT IS WHAT I WANT EVERYONE TO DO.

I am not mad at anyone, for anything...I'm mad at myself for bringing on such a committement I'm not yet ready to make. Money is also not the issue. I want to help people...that was my ultimate goal, but the stress from helping others has backfired.

So, please, if you didn't donate any money(If you did, thanks again), the least you can do is to donate your understanding. I am so young and want to try different things before I find what I really like. I am litteraly crying as I write this message, because I really cared so much about each of your forums, but life will move on...forums are virtural, and there are real life issues that we have to stand up and face...

I understand you may all be upset, because you put such hard work into your forums and now it's all gone...but it's not...make an SQL backup of your forum and files, and then find a cheap host(like HostUltra) and then you are set to go again--it doesn't have to be the end of all your great forums.

Just a reminder, this is something that I want to happen kinda quickly so I don't get tangled up, so please do what you need to do and then set the board offline.

And as always, even after this close is complete, you can email me at [email protected], and I will always do my best to assist you with your problems. I will help you move or find a new host, or whatever you need. Don't be afraid just because it seems like I'm abondoning you...I do want to help. Just email to talk if you want, or work out a deal on this...I'm open to deals.

I have no date where I think everything will "disappear", because I hope we don't have that date. As long as the board is offline and you have the SQL and the files, take your time on finding a new host. I'll let you know if a date like this will ever occur.

And don't be thinking this is like my goodbye. You can still hang in these forums and get IPB support...but I would perfer issues related to this be emailed me directly.

I'm scared that this topic will get overflowed with things not so relevant, so if you have anything to say...write to me at [email protected], and I will read it and listen. Same with questions about your board.

But it dont look all that bad compguy says that if you want you can host the forums your self :D

Thanks,

Tomdarkness

Mentor
24-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Kind of old news, this anouncmenst been on compguy11.com a while, and the forums have already been shut down "/

Chuck1993
24-06-2005, 07:39 AM
how they been shut down im sure phoenix hosts his there and hes is open

Mentor
24-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Not for long, compy guys just giving em a chance to back up there databases etc.

JoeComins
24-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I tryed to get the info from mine but even the FTP dint work. And even I have already posted this and im always well behind on news

GommeInc
24-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Hmmm, were they lacking funding?

Michael.
24-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Poor guy. He was a great host.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!