PDA

View Full Version : Custom fonts on site? [+REP!]

jackass
08-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I have a font on my computer that no one else will probaly have, so obviously, on my site, it only shows up as that font on my computer, no one elses.

How do I make it so it works for everyone, without getting to complicated and without using flash etc.

+Rep to all help. Thanks! :)

iUnknown
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Something that might point you in the right direction... you can use GD in PHP to create an image in PHP using a custom/uploaded font. Not sure the exact way but I'm sure a little google will explain. You could turn image creating into a function where when you put eg fontcreate($Welcome); it creates an image with the text in the variable $Welcome using GD image... not sure if GD image already has a command to do this. Anyway, hope that helps.

jackass
08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks. Yeah I know about that, but I need text not an image. Its also possible in flash, by generating an image from a header (h2), and h2 would be .js. :P

Something that might point you in the right direction... you can use GD in PHP to create an image in PHP using a custom/uploaded font. Not sure the exact way but I'm sure a little google will explain. You could turn image creating into a function where when you put eg fontcreate($Welcome); it creates an image with the text in the variable $Welcome using GD image... not sure if GD image already has a command to do this. Anyway, hope that helps.

Johno
08-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey,

The only other way I can think of is sIFR: http://wiki.novemberborn.net/sifr/

Which is practically what you described in the last post.

Sorry I can't be of any more help!

Trinity
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
There's this: http://www.ssi-developer.net/design/embed-font.shtml
But it only works in IE5 & IE6, can't find anything better yet.

Cushioned
09-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm not sure if you can. Sometimes I visit sites, and it asks me to download the font to view the site. Maybe you could figure out how to do that?

iUnknown
09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey,

The only other way I can think of is sIFR: http://wiki.novemberborn.net/sifr/

Which is practically what you described in the last post.

Sorry I can't be of any more help!

That's a method I've seen before... possibly the best method really.

I'm not sure if you can. Sometimes I visit sites, and it asks me to download the font to view the site. Maybe you could figure out how to do that?

Some users will think it's a virus and not download it so not a good idea really.

jackass
09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks all.

Yeah i've found out there isn't exactly a reliable way for all browsers to view it. So I will probaly just use sIRF. :)

Blob
09-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Either;;

Put the font in the stylesheet, then something else for it to fall back onto if the user doesnt have that font, and then tell them "this site is best viewed with the whatever font, download it here"

OR

Wait for CSS3 to be in all the browsers (never going to be in IE so your buggered) and use the feature that lets you have custom fonts.

today
09-07-2008, 05:12 PM
im confused.

left.
not coming back.
goodbye to all the cool people.

Blob
09-07-2008, 05:49 PM
im confused.

left.
not coming back.
goodbye to all the cool people.

o i left but habbox is getting "better" and habbox isnt cool enough for my to type in a textbox labelled signature.

wewt
09-07-2008, 05:50 PM
If you use sIFR for your whole site it will be slow as hell, you're only meant to use it for headings. The best way would be like Blob said - specifying it in a font-family.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!