PDA

View Full Version : Coursework stress

ToxicPaddy
09-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi all
Well, I'm only in year 9 but already we have started English coursework. It was a short story we had to do on a topic of our choice. I chose a hostage situation, and on the first draft I got a C+/B-, and I feel this is a really bad grade :(. I have now handed in my final version yesterday after hours of trying to make it good, following all the suggestions my teacher made and adding more descriptive words etc. But, I'm really worried incase I got an F or something. I mean, I know its very unlikely but what if I still got a bad mark? I'm in a grammar school so they expect A's and A*'s. I tried my very best, what if that is still sub-standard level?

Any suggestions will be grateful, I'm stressing about it a lot :(
Also, good luck to anyone else with coursework :D

ToxicPaddy

Meanies
10-07-2008, 12:11 AM
A B isn't a bad grade, its only 2 away from an A*! If you got that in your draft, how would manage to get an F in the final piece unless you made drastic changes to it.

I didn't stress at all going through coursework, just got on with it. No idea why but me nor my brother were bothered by coursework and exams but still got good grades, I found it all pretty simple but annoying at times when things kept going wrong with computers and stuff.

Good luck :)

Jaiisun
10-07-2008, 12:49 AM
I attended a grammar school that always expected As and A*s and they regarded Cs and lower as a fail. However, this is not the truth. GCSE grades go from A* right down to G - which would make C/D the middle (average) grade.

So, to get a B in a draft, then you're on the right track because the finished piece is always better than a draft - unless you've completely re-wrote it.

I made the mistake of stressing - it got me nowhere. I think you should do your best (as hard as it may seem) to finish your coursework as soon as possible, so it is out of the way and then you can enjoy your free time without any coursework building up and having to be rushed at the last minute.

Good luck!

;].
Jay x

,Jess,
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
You can only do as well as you can. Your draft is a good grade, I got like a C overally in my english c/w when I did GCSEs and was a bit gutted but after I did the exam came out with an A, so it wasn't that bad (depends on how much it's worth on your overall grade).

If you're in year 9 you can still improve and that's probably why you're doing work early, to improve. I don't know if it's the same for everyone but when it came to sending off our english c/w we look through our folders and submitted the best pieces so it may be that you do another at a later date and get a higher grade and use that anyway.

I do think though you are probably on track with a B in your draft :).

leah
10-07-2008, 01:16 PM
just hand it all in on time, try your best and maybe ask your teacher how you can get a higher grade, what you need to do? [:

JackBuddy
10-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi all
Well, I'm only in year 9 but already we have started English coursework. It was a short story we had to do on a topic of our choice. I chose a hostage situation, and on the first draft I got a C+/B-, and I feel this is a really bad grade :(. I have now handed in my final version yesterday after hours of trying to make it good, following all the suggestions my teacher made and adding more descriptive words etc. But, I'm really worried incase I got an F or something. I mean, I know its very unlikely but what if I still got a bad mark? I'm in a grammar school so they expect A's and A*'s. I tried my very best, what if that is still sub-standard level?

Any suggestions will be grateful, I'm stressing about it a lot :(
Also, good luck to anyone else with coursework :D

ToxicPaddy
you do like 6 different pieces of coursework which doesn't have to be submitted for another 2 years for you... a C is a pass and that's all you need.

N-Dubz
16-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Your already stressing over your first bit of coursework? Your gonna have fun when you have alot to do.

C is a pass, as long as its above that you'll do fine. Shouldn't care about what your "Grammar School" expects just do your best.

Cisse9
16-07-2008, 03:48 PM
when teachers say coursework in year 9 they are just lying. :]

Joe!
19-07-2008, 03:07 PM
ToxicPaddy, that piece of coursework in year 9 doesn't actually get used in the real GCSE, trust me, just finished year 11 at that school.

ToxicPaddy
19-07-2008, 10:23 PM
ToxicPaddy, that piece of coursework in year 9 doesn't actually get used in the real GCSE, trust me, just finished year 11 at that school.

So they're telling us its a real bit of coursework but it isn't?

Also thank you to everyone for your help. I have sent it to a friend of my mum s who is an english teacher and she said its an A grade piece of work. I hope my teacher feels the same way :D

+Rep for all help :)

Edit - Cannot rep ,Jess, I must spread. But dw, I won't forget :D

William93
20-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Stressing about it already?

Boy, help you later on!

Eamonn
22-07-2008, 09:43 AM
So they're telling us its a real bit of

Yes, pretty much, LFR, I remember doing 'English C/W' after SATs in year nine and it never say the light of day :$ because really the C/W you do in year ten/eleven is bound to be so much better, think of what you have just done as more of a practice.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!