I'm thinking of getting an iMac - possibly this model:

20-inch: 2.4GHz

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
250GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

£799.00

Is it value for money? It's the lowest price from Apple Store UK. Would it be cheaper to get a used model from eBay?

And what's all this 3G, 4G, 5G stuff (when I searched eBay)? What has Leopard, and what has Tiger? What's better out of the two? Would it be better to get a MacMini?

Sorry for all the questions - i've not had a Mac before, so I don't want to pour loads into something i'll regret!

cocaine
14-07-2008, 04:01 PM
1GB RAM? £800 and only 1GB? :S

xxMATTGxx
14-07-2008, 04:05 PM
1GB RAM? £800 and only 1GB? :S

You pay for what you get. Like quality etc.

I'm thinking of getting an iMac - possibly this model:

20-inch: 2.4GHz

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
250GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

£799.00

Is it value for money? It's the lowest price from Apple Store UK. Would it be cheaper to get a used model from eBay?

And what's all this 3G, 4G, 5G stuff (when I searched eBay)? What has Leopard, and what has Tiger? What's better out of the two? Would it be better to get a MacMini?

Sorry for all the questions - i've not had a Mac before, so I don't want to pour loads into something i'll regret!

Right, First off 3G,4G,5G are the old Apple computers that were ran by IBM processors? I think thats correct. Before they changed to intel. I suggest buying a nice Intel Mac. Value for money? Well if you want a great experience, great operating system, community and support. Buy one. I currently have a Mac Mini, and upgraded it to 2GB ram. Its a great little machine. The ram will be cheap from places like Crucial and Ebay. Although 1GB of ram will do you fine on Leopard unless you go into video editing and high photo editing. But 2GB is useful! Yes Tiger was the OS before Leopard, I suggest running Leopard, its well better :D

Xarea
14-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Would it be better to get a Mac Mini with 2GB ram? I have like, some wierd Dell monitor though...

cocaine
14-07-2008, 04:07 PM
You pay for what you get. Like quality etc.

I'll resist the temptation to argue but if thats what you want then go for it :P

xxMATTGxx
14-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Would it be better to get a Mac Mini with 2GB ram? I have like, some wierd Dell monitor though...

Got a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse? Although I recommend the Apple Keyboard and the apple mouse or a standard mouse or even a MX Revolution. Then get the Mac Mini. You could always get the 2GB ram version, but if not the RAM is pretty cheap and is very easy to install by watching videos on youtube.

I'll resist the temptation to argue but if thats what you want then go for it :P

I think what I said was the wrong way round.

"Yes the macs are expensive, Because cheaper doesn't always mean better. You get what you pay for."

Well anyway.

Xarea
14-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Got a spare monitor, keyboard and mouse? Although I recommend the Apple Keyboard and the apple mouse or a standard mouse or even a MX Revolution. Then get the Mac Mini. You could always get the 2GB ram version, but if not the RAM is pretty cheap and is very easy to install by watching videos on youtube.

I haven't got any spare, but i'm switching from PC to Mac. Could I use my Dell PC monitor with the Mini? I'd probably buy the Apple Keyboard and Mouse anyway.

xxMATTGxx
14-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I haven't got any spare, but i'm switching from PC to Mac. Could I use my Dell PC monitor with the Mini? I'd probably buy the Apple Keyboard and Mouse anyway.

Yes, the Mac Mini comes with a DVI to VGA converter if the monitor only takes VGA. Yes I do recommend the keyboard, not tried the mouse but i heard good and bad things :P I hope you enjoy your mac.

Hayd93
14-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Ye macs may seem expensive but they are worth it. My mate said this to me for a mini look what you get.

Built in bluetooth
Built in wireless
Optical audio how many other computers have that.

Right on G3 G4 G5 ect that is generatoins of mac.

For your first mac i would go a mac mini but you could go for imac if wanted. If you have the cash get the better version of the mac mini and bump up the ram to 2gb. Also if you get your education discount then the wireless mouse and keyboard is only £10 extra than the normal priced wired.

Any other mac questions feel free to ask.

In response to cocaine macs are good things if you do audio editing ect and they say you will be using a mac you know staright away the keys ect as it will be using mac operating system. If they said HP then that could mean xp home,professinal vista basic,premium ect. Also with mac you get alot more quality i find. As they say you get what you pay for as shown alot by the keyboard.

Recursion
14-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Actually almost all computers have optical audio and built in wireless nowadays..

alexxxxx
14-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Don't buy an IBM Mac (IE G4, G5), they are the older models and are going out of date, for example, the new games don't run on those processor types.

xxMATTGxx
14-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Actually almost all computers have optical audio and built in wireless nowadays..

Yeah, well you don't run OSX. So shush!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!