PDA

View Full Version : Internet Help +6REP

348GTS
14-07-2008, 11:36 PM
So we've got 9 computers in this house (4 laptops, 5 desktops). The PCs are used everyday and are on 24/7, all of them. We have a wireless router=

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0034939789B02

and then we have a Hub I believe, I don't know what its called, its a black box. We have 4 computers on the wireless plugged in and one completely wireless.

When I do my speed tests, I got a speed of 5MB/sec. Then, when I go to download something, my speed has never exceeded 1MB/sec. And this isn't unreliable places, it can be Microsoft updates, Steam, Apple stuff, etc. I really don't know what the problem is. We called Videotron, our provider, and they changed the black box. That didn't work, and every once in awhile our internet would randomly drop. Then we got a new router, the one above, and that didn't help either.

We also have a "booster" downstairs.. Thats about all I know. We have one connection coming in thats split into 5, and I understand that that will lower the speed, but I'm downloading something off of Azureus (torrent program) and its at 29KB/s. Come on???

-Eyeless-
14-07-2008, 11:47 PM
You get slow download speeds probably because you are sharing your houses internet both between the people in your house and a number of houses in your street if you have a regular internet connection. Tell me what ISP and Contract you have and I can help you further :)

Kevin
15-07-2008, 12:10 PM
If You're using wireless internet, be sure to check that you've password protected it, other people around you're neighborhood could be jacking you're internet connection, there for decreasing the speeds.

-Kevin

Blinger1
15-07-2008, 12:16 PM
If You're using wireless internet, be sure to check that you've password protected it, other people around you're neighborhood could be jacking you're internet connection, there for decreasing the speeds.

-Kevin
I love doing that :)

Trinity
15-07-2008, 12:47 PM
So we've got 9 computers in this house (4 laptops, 5 desktops). The PCs are used everyday and are on 24/7, all of them. We have a wireless router=

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0034939789B02

and then we have a Hub I believe, I don't know what its called, its a black box. We have 4 computers on the wireless plugged in and one completely wireless.

When I do my speed tests, I got a speed of 5MB/sec. Then, when I go to download something, my speed has never exceeded 1MB/sec. And this isn't unreliable places, it can be Microsoft updates, Steam, Apple stuff, etc. I really don't know what the problem is. We called Videotron, our provider, and they changed the black box. That didn't work, and every once in awhile our internet would randomly drop. Then we got a new router, the one above, and that didn't help either.

We also have a "booster" downstairs.. Thats about all I know. We have one connection coming in thats split into 5, and I understand that that will lower the speed, but I'm downloading something off of Azureus (torrent program) and its at 29KB/s. Come on???

With 9 computers connected, I doubt you're going to get very high speeds.
What I think is happening is that the speed test is showing the speed of the network, not the speed that each individual computer will be able to use.
So the 5mb/s shared between 9 = your slow torrents and downloads.

-Kevin

That's how I get online :)

-Eyeless-
15-07-2008, 12:54 PM
With 9 computers connected, I doubt you're going to get very high speeds.
What I think is happening is that the speed test is showing the speed of the network, not the speed that each individual computer will be able to use.
So the 5mb/s shared between 9 = your slow torrents and downloads.

That's how I get online :)

Its probably you guys that steal my 8 mb :( lol well I have to share with the houses around be because nobody really gets 8mb unless its dedicated which is damned expensive! lol

Trinity
15-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Its probably you guys that steal my 8 mb :( lol well I have to share with the houses around be because nobody really gets 8mb unless its dedicated which is damned expensive! lol

Haha, it's not me stealing your internet, honest :eusa_ange
The only thing I can think of to increase your speed is to disconnect some of the other PCs when you're downloading.

-Eyeless-
15-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Haha, it's not me stealing your internet, honest :eusa_ange
The only thing I can think of to increase your speed is to disconnect some of the other PCs when you're downloading.

Yea turn off all of them if you can because then you don't share and if you want, destroying your neighbours computers would help ;)

Trinity
15-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Yea turn off all of them if you can because then you don't share and if you want, destroying your neighbours computers would help ;)

Ooo thinking outside of the box, I like it.

Kevin
15-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Try a password. usally they can be set via the IP for you're modem. eg 124.32.12.456 , Post you're router here if you like, and ill try find you're ip for you :]

habtasia
19-07-2008, 11:28 PM
This is because the router is splitting the connection in 1/5 ths, so each computer is getting 1mb out of the 5mb(s) avalible to use

Independent
20-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Protect your network, I can't remember if this works anymore but there used to be a way of limiting the computer's internet speeds, so if you capped each computer to a fair speed in line of usage, and tell the user of the computer/laptop that it's not suitable for multimedia etc.

Snex
20-07-2008, 06:39 PM

When using speedtests like Speedtest.net your speed would be 5Mb/s (Bits). This is not yourr actual download speed in order to get this you must divide it by 8 so your actual speed you will get while downloading is ~635KB/s (Bytes).

habtasia
20-07-2008, 07:28 PM
When using speedtests like Speedtest.net your speed would be 5Mb/s (Bits). This is not yourr actual download speed in order to get this you must divide it by 8 so your actual speed you will get while downloading is ~635KB/s (Bytes).

Thats what i basically said above

Snex
20-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Thats what i basically said above
You said the connection is shared between 5 different connections. I was discussing bytes and bits. That is not what you were saying above at all.

habtasia
20-07-2008, 09:26 PM
You said the connection is shared between 5 different connections. I was discussing bytes and bits. That is not what you were saying above at all.

You were saying how it was divided, i was saying how it was divided (the 5 connections was an example for 5 computers on a same network)

Snex
20-07-2008, 09:41 PM
You were saying how it was divided, i was saying how it was divided (the 5 connections was an example for 5 computers on a same network)
I was discuss the difference between actual speed and the speed given on speedtests. In your terms you would have to divide 635kb/s by 5 again to give 127kb/s or something like that.

habtasia
26-07-2008, 10:58 AM
True..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!