PDA

View Full Version : Apple Sues Psystar over OpenComputer

xxMATTGxx
15-07-2008, 04:21 PM
In April, we reported that a company called Psystar was offering the first Mac clone. Using off the shelf PC parts and a modified version of Mac OS X Leopard, Psystar promised a cheaper alternative to an Apple Mac.

Despite some initial concerns about their legitimacy, Psystar has delivered what they have advertised and later even offered software updates and server models.

Throughout, Apple has remained quiet about the company and many have expected that they would pursue legal action. AppleInsider reports that on July 3rd, Apple filed a formal complaint against the clone manufacturer. Apple's lawsuit is said to on the ground of copyright infringement.
The Mac maker filed a formal complaint in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on July 3rd, just one day after Psystar began distributing a modified version of the Mac OS X 10.5.4 Leopard update to customers who had previously purchased one of its unauthorized Mac systems.

From MacRumors.com, I was always wondering what will ever happen because Apple did keep quiet for sometime. I was also keeping updated on the updates of Psystar to see if they were even real.

alexxxxx
16-07-2008, 09:48 AM
From MacRumors.com, I was always wondering what will ever happen because Apple did keep quiet for sometime. I was also keeping updated on the updates of Psystar to see if they were even real.

It was only a matter of time, but it will be interesting if Psystar can beat them.

Jericho
16-07-2008, 09:50 AM
They wont. Although they made a good attempt. I wonder if Apple will find a way of getting to people who are using OS X on PC's with the whole 'OSx86' thing :P

Janczyk
16-07-2008, 10:07 AM
It should be allowed - it's just a PC running Leopard?

xxMATTGxx
16-07-2008, 02:29 PM
It should be allowed - it's just a PC running Leopard?

Yes but as every company has their own rights or whatever, Apple have not allowed their operating systems to be installed on any other machine apart from Macs. One of the main reasons is that OSX makes what Apple is.

Jericho
16-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I dont know how to explain this, and if its even a factor. But only Apple make 'Macs' whereas lots of other companys make windows PC's - Dell and all that jazz, not just Microsoft. But OS X for PC would be amusing, but as a tester trial...

OS X Suite
Windows versions of
iChat
iTunes
Safari
iPhoto?

To give PC users a tester to see if they want to go furthur with the experience.

Janczyk
16-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes but as every company has their own rights or whatever, Apple have not allowed their operating systems to be installed on any other machine apart from Macs. One of the main reasons is that OSX makes what Apple is.
Ahh well, they'll fail then :)

xxMATTGxx
16-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Ahh well, they'll fail then :)

Not really. Microsoft don't t make the computers where Apple do. MS make the OS, where Apple do both. There is a logic.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!