PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Work

-Eyeless-
16-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Yay finally got all my forms for volunteer work at Frenchay Hospital :) There are literally like 20 forms to fill out and I have to do a CRB check which is interesting :D

Anybody else do/doing Volunteer work at a hospital?

jesus
16-07-2008, 11:22 AM
not a hospital, but i was thinking of applying to be a 'special constable' for GMP

it's better than community support because you get a full belt of weapons n cuffs etc, full uniform, you can arrest people etc. it's just like being a constable except voluntary.

would look great on a CV :)

Misawa
16-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I work for Peverted Justice, we bust pedophiles and co-ordinate police stings.

Tintinnabulate
16-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Did it last November, was pretty good.

-Eyeless-
16-07-2008, 08:04 PM

not a hospital, but i was thinking of applying to be a 'special constable' for GMP

it's better than community support because you get a full belt of weapons n cuffs etc, full uniform, you can arrest people etc. it's just like being a constable except voluntary.

would look great on a CV :)

Those sound awesome :D

Did it last November, was pretty good.

What was it like?

Misawa
16-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Those sound awesome :D

What was it like?

It is greatly rewarding when you've set up a sting with the police and basically had someone arrested, but it's a very horrifying and sickening process, you wouldn't believe what I have to do, but very satisfying if it all works in our favour.

Ashley 12344
16-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I get paid for my work.

-Eyeless-
16-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I get paid for my work.

Yes but funnily enough you have to have a degree to work as a real doctor hence why I am volunteering for work "Experience" ;)

PaintYourTarget
16-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I get paid for my work.
If you want to take a degree in Medicine, Dentistry etc then you have to have had experience in a hospital/surgey and the only way to get this is by volunteering - it shows you're commited to the course, know it's what you want tto take and have some sort of knowledge of working hospital life.

-Eyeless-
16-07-2008, 11:14 PM
If you want to take a degree in Medicine, Dentistry etc then you have to have had experience in a hospital/surgey and the only way to get this is by volunteering - it shows you're commited to the course, know it's what you want tto take and have some sort of knowledge of working hospital life.

Thats why I am doing it :D I go for a day a week and then at christmas I am going to work for an entire week because the more time I spend the better chance that I get accepted :P

Janczyk
19-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes but funnily enough you have to have a degree to work as a real doctor hence why I am volunteering for work "Experience" ;)
You also need to have AAAA at A Level.

Voluntary work doesn't count for anything - working at a hospital giving tea to aids-ridden patients isn't going to make you a doctor.

Misawa
20-07-2008, 01:11 AM
But that doesn't discount the fact that experience in a similar field to the desired job in your CV helps if you have those required qualifications.

PaintYourTarget
20-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Voluntary work doesn't count for anything - working at a hospital giving tea to aids-ridden patients isn't going to make you a doctor.
Actually, it does. When the Entry Tutor is looking through your applications they will take that into account. I've been told that by an Entry Tutor herself.

Janczyk
20-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Which are they going to take; a student who has AAAA [committed to studies, does extra work and has no time for voluntary work] or a student who has BBBB and does voluntary work? The AAAA student because they've got more chance of getting the degree.

Bun
20-07-2008, 11:07 AM
i'd never do volunteer work but, whatever floats your boat.

Mr.Sam
20-07-2008, 11:20 AM
wow frenchay is like 10 minutes from my house and I have family members that work there :P

Fehm
22-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Wow. Thats an amazing thing to do. And therefore, i aspire to be you. Look up to you =] Id love to be able to do that kinda work, in fact ima look it up now =]

Tbh
22-07-2008, 05:31 PM
why dont you have a seat over there?

Misawa
22-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Come again?

Xarea
22-07-2008, 06:59 PM

LOL! :P

Judge Judy
23-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Yay finally got all my forms for volunteer work at Frenchay Hospital :) There are literally like 20 forms to fill out and I have to do a CRB check which is interesting :D

Anybody else do/doing Volunteer work at a hospital?

Have fun working there. :D
Oh CRB checks takes like weeks says my mum who's going back to midwifery at York.

Kardan
23-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Which are they going to take; a student who has AAAA [committed to studies, does extra work and has no time for voluntary work] or a student who has BBBB and does voluntary work? The AAAA student because they've got more chance of getting the degree.

But if you're up against a student with AAAA and you have AAAA and voluntary work, you'll have more chance of being picked :)

Janczyk
23-07-2008, 07:15 PM
But if you're up against a student with AAAA and you have AAAA and voluntary work, you'll have more chance of being picked :)
Yes, but to get AAAA at A-Level, the thing you don't need is extra stress and more work.

lScottl2
23-07-2008, 07:23 PM
cool have fun and no im not doing any volunteer work at a hospital

helenhiya
24-07-2008, 09:04 AM
i'm too lazy, selfish and greedy to work for nothing.

Azul
24-07-2008, 09:12 AM
These days I don't get out of bed for any less than £10 an hour.

lew!
24-07-2008, 05:07 PM
frenchay?!?
southmead ftw.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!