PDA

View Full Version : How much is this domain worth?

MrPinkPanther
17-07-2008, 03:20 PM
A few days ago the latest game in the popular Resistance series was announced for PSP Resitance Retribution. I promptly bought ResistanceRetribution.com and was wondering how much you all think I should sell it for, Im not expecting much just a rough estimate.

Plux
17-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Does the game have a main site? If not Sony will pay lots for that.

Tomm
17-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Or if they own the trademark for it, force you to hand it over for nothing.

Does the game have a main site? If not Sony will pay lots for that.

Plux
17-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Or if they own the trademark for it, force you to hand it over for nothing.

Lol, woops! I didn't think about that.

MrPinkPanther
17-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Sony use subdomains for their site so they wont try. Anyway I dont think they are allowed if the site has a valid use considering resistance and retribution are real words.

How much do you think I could get for it? Where are good places to sell?

EDIT: Maybe they dont use subdomains lol resistancefallofman.com
Ill create a temporary site about resistant materials and try to flog them it

NEW-START
17-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Sony use subdomains for their site so they wont try. Anyway I dont think they are allowed if the site has a valid use considering resistance and retribution are real words.

How much do you think I could get for it? Where are good places to sell?

EDIT: Maybe they dont use subdomains lol resistancefallofman.com
Ill create a temporary site about resistant materials and try to flog them it

No, they'll just take it from you. You cannot own something that they've trademarked then attempt to sell it to them. It's their trademark and you're using their trademark in a domain without their permission.

You've not thought this through.

Recursion
17-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Sell it quick, it will probably be forced from you.

Janczyk
17-07-2008, 04:10 PM
However, in certain circumstances they do offer compensation as a result of this and it can be quite a big packet as well - although, I've only come across cases like this with Nintendo so I'm not sure about Sony.

NEW-START
17-07-2008, 04:12 PM
However, in certain circumstances they do offer compensation as a result of this and it can be quite a big packet as well - although, I've only come across cases like this with Nintendo so I'm not sure about Sony.

Sony would rather take money from the person for buying the domain in the first place rather than giving it out.

Janczyk
17-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Sony would rather take money from the person for buying the domain in the first place rather than giving it out.
That proves how self centred Sony are then, doesn't it?

Blob
17-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Surely if you register it before any trademarks are made its ok?

MrPinkPanther
17-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I might email them about it just to see what will happen. At the end of the day ive only wasted like £4 and it could be intresting. Is there anywhere you can check if they have trademarked it?

VPSwow
17-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Sell on Sedo.com they take 50$ off you when you sell but you usually get a lot more.

MrPinkPanther
17-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Sell on Sedo.com they take 50$ off you when you sell but you usually get a lot more.
Hmmm thanks. Im sure they wouldnt trademark it before their conference otherwise its like unveiling it and Blob is right if I bought it before they cant take it off of me. Its like Nintendo has to buy the domain Wii.com off of someone who owned it before Wii was trademarked.

NEW-START
17-07-2008, 05:04 PM
That proves how self centred Sony are then, doesn't it?

Yep! They've always been like that, sadly. :@

Surely if you register it before any trademarks are made its ok?

No, it's still trademarked to them.

Hmmm thanks. Im sure they wouldnt trademark it before their conference otherwise its like unveiling it and Blob is right if I bought it before they cant take it off of me. Its like Nintendo has to buy the domain Wii.com off of someone who owned it before Wii was trademarked.

Sony would take you to court over it. They take everything too far and stretch the limits right out to prove their point.

MrPinkPanther
17-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Yep! They've always been like that, sadly. :@

No, it's still trademarked to them.

Sony would take you to court over it. They take everything too far and stretch the limits right out to prove their point.
Ah well, ill have some fun with it in the meantime.

Im 95% sure if the domain was registered first they cant do jack **** either because Nintendo has to buy wii.com off this bloke because he registered it before the wii was trademarked.

Janczyk
17-07-2008, 05:23 PM
One example I just remembered is a guy who bought a Metroid Prime related domain shortly after watching last years [or the year befores] E3 and he got a hefty sum of cash from Nintendo ;)

Try and sell it by all means, dry DigitalPoint or SitePoint - they cost but it might be worth it - just enquire on DP about it about the legalities because we don't know for sure.

MrPinkPanther
17-07-2008, 05:33 PM
One example I just remembered is a guy who bought a Metroid Prime related domain shortly after watching last years [or the year befores] E3 and he got a hefty sum of cash from Nintendo ;).
That was me lol, it wasnt from Nintendo it was from someone setting up a fansite. Nintendo use subdomains :)

Try and sell it by all means, dry DigitalPoint or SitePoint - they cost but it might be worth it - just enquire on DP about it about the legalities because we don't know for sure.
Yeh I will, thanks :)

How much do you lot think I could sell it for roughly?

Pazza
17-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I think u can, cos this guy made 21stcenturyfox back in 1998 or summit and 21st century fox had to buy it off of him.

So you'll be fine

ebay
18-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I might email them about it just to see what will happen. At the end of the day ive only wasted like £4 and it could be intresting. Is there anywhere you can check if they have trademarked it?

Don't email them, wait for them to approach you!

They have trademarked it as: Resistance: Retribution™

So your fine in my opinion :)

NEW-START
18-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Ah well, ill have some fun with it in the meantime.

Im 95% sure if the domain was registered first they cant do jack **** either because Nintendo has to buy wii.com off this bloke because he registered it before the wii was trademarked.

You're 95% wrong. You're talking about Sony here, they sue people over the slightest things.

When did you buy this domain? Companies usually trademark names right at the start of planning so that they don't have to go through the process again to change it to suit a new name. When did you buy the domain?

If Sony really want the domain they'll drag your *** to court over it if you refuse to give them the access to the domain if they request such.

ebay
19-07-2008, 09:40 AM
But if they wanted the domain, surely it dosen't take a genius to buy the domain before revealing the name to the public?

Although, it is Sony.

MrPinkPanther
19-07-2008, 10:40 AM
But if they wanted the domain, surely it dosen't take a genius to buy the domain before revealing the name to the public?

Although, it is Sony.
But the point is if they Trademark it or buy the domain before the conference people always notice so they are basically unveiling it before. No games companies buy the domains before they have announced the games.

Mr.Sam
19-07-2008, 10:45 AM
don't companys usually purchase domains before announcing the news?
I'm quite sure they do, GTA did.

Protege
19-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Compare sony to you, They'll have a legal force of 100+, you will have in most luck a **** lawyer that the court will provide you, there isn't the slightest chance you'd win a court case with Sony or any major company - thats why Google hasn't been taken down for hosting ilegal material on their sister sites.

RYANNNNN
19-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Sony don't have to pay you anything. If they send you an email requesting you give them the domain then you have to, you have no chance winning a case against them because this is clearly domain squatting. You can try and sell it but it's unlikely you'll get anything.

Describe
19-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Imagine Sony Members sitting there - Happily making a website template, finishing the website template and finally realising they can't get the Domain they wanted because you bought it, because the fact that they announced it. That'd be hilarious IMO.

Janczyk
19-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Imagine Sony Members sitting there - Happily making a website template, finishing the website template and finally realising they can't get the Domain they wanted because you bought it, because the fact that they announced it. That'd be hilarious IMO.
They're a multi-billion dollar company - they'd of thought of that before it came to that.

As someone stated, sony uses sub-domains anyway.

MrPinkPanther
19-07-2008, 09:18 PM
They're a multi-billion dollar company - they'd of thought of that before it came to that.

As someone stated, sony uses sub-domains anyway.
I thought they did but it turns out its only Nintendo. At the end of the day if they force it off of my ive only lost £4.

Independent
19-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I think they probably would have done a WHOIS check before though, if they never brought the domain?

nathanreeves
20-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Warning: fopen(/home/website/public_html/IMGCACHE/www.resistanceretribution.com.jpg) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/website/public_html/results.php on line 374

Website Value Report for www.resistanceretribution.com
Based on publicly available information, this report outlines estimated traffic levels received by the submitted URL, overviews possible income sources for the site, and proposes a resale value.

Your site is worth $58

Basic Traffic Statistics
Alexa Traffic Ranking:
Google PageRank: 0
Average of 5,960,000 backlinks from major search engines.

kk.
20-07-2008, 12:56 PM
But the point is if they Trademark it or buy the domain before the conference people always notice so they are basically unveiling it before. No games companies buy the domains before they have announced the games.
Then what they should do is set up a webpage and get everything ready to buy and when they say the name to the public click the button :)

don't companys usually purchase domains before announcing the news?
I'm quite sure they do, GTA did.
GTA was more than likely gonna be called GTA IV though wasnt it?

Independent
20-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Warning: fopen(/home/website/public_html/IMGCACHE/www.resistanceretribution.com.jpg) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/website/public_html/results.php on line 374

Website Value Report for www.resistanceretribution.com (http://www.resistanceretribution.com)
Based on publicly available information, this report outlines estimated traffic levels received by the submitted URL, overviews possible income sources for the site, and proposes a resale value.

Your site is worth $58

Basic Traffic Statistics
Alexa Traffic Ranking:
It doesn't value the domain, it values the visits.

If you are going to dig something up on a domain, you should really use a better resource.

Joshuae
21-07-2008, 08:22 AM

Website Value Report for www.resistanceretribution.com (http://www.resistanceretribution.com)

Your site is worth $58

Basic Traffic Statistics
Alexa Traffic Ranking:

You sir are an idiot.

lolwut
21-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Just to clear up, it will not be forced from you if you're using it for a valid purpose.
If you're using it to host a few random MP3's they can take it off you, however if it's a half-decent or more forum/website/whatever they're not allowed as the sites already serving some purpose. In it's current state, they can force it from you as it's serving you no purpose and you're trying to sell it anyway...

What you should really do is make some use of it, that way if they do decide they want it, it can't be forced from you and you can make some money out of this.

Janczyk
21-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Just to clear up, it will not be forced from you if you're using it for a valid purpose.
If you're using it to host a few random MP3's they can take it off you, however if it's a half-decent or more forum/website/whatever they're not allowed as the sites already serving some purpose. In it's current state, they can force it from you as it's serving you no purpose and you're trying to sell it anyway...

What you should really do is make some use of it, that way if they do decide they want it, it can't be forced from you and you can make some money out of this.

You are wrong.

Joshuae
21-07-2008, 11:11 AM

You sir are also an idiot.

Niall!
21-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Edit: Sorry I was thinking of the game license.

NEW-START
21-07-2008, 02:55 PM

You should just put your head in a toilet and flush.

Joshuae
21-07-2008, 02:56 PM
You should just put your head in a toilet and flush.

He might enjoy it though...
You know after you watch 2girls1cup kids are never the same...
(To understand my reference: lolwut post a thread about how he laughed and enjoyed 2girls1cup)

Roosteria
21-07-2008, 04:09 PM
He might enjoy it though...
You know after you watch 2girls1cup kids are never the same...
(To understand my reference: lolwut post a thread about how he laughed and enjoyed 2girls1cup)

I may be new here, but honestly shut the **** up.
You act all high and mighty but I bet you're some fat 12 year old protesting you're hard on the Internet.

What have you got to show for yourself apart from the 5ft flab that hangs off your PC chair?

Protege
22-07-2008, 07:54 AM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHTTTTTTT

zzzZzzzzZzzz its a forum, he has his own opinon like you do against him, so you really cannot say ****. lawl

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!