PDA

View Full Version : Worth Doing?

redtom
18-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I've been thinking about restarting my image hosting for a long time but I just can't decided but today I had an idea, what do you guy think about a site where web designs can upload there layouts with a description, but the difference with this would be that there would be on option to watermark the images you upload, as well as this I was thinking of a way for people to upload HTML and CSS files, as well as the images they want so they can show people there layouts, I'll have to find some way of securing the files and images from being ripped and somehow blocking the sources as much as possible but if I could do this do you guy think it would be worth doing and get hits?

Janczyk
18-07-2008, 08:04 PM
The second part would be hard but yeah, it sounds like a good idea.

Jongo
18-07-2008, 08:08 PM
It certainly sounds like a challenge, can't wait to see when it's done!

Plux
18-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a good idea, as said 2nd bit would be hard.

Excellent1
18-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Sounds great! Although the second part COULD be done. To view the layout perhaps use a javascript popup window? So it hides the source, url etc. Then if somehow they find the link to the /layouts folder or whatever give them a 404?

Plux
18-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Sounds great! Although the second part COULD be done. To view the layout perhaps use a javascript popup window? So it hides the source, url etc. Then if somehow they find the link to the /layouts folder or whatever give them a 404?

Or have a redirect on the folder?
Then use an admin panel to acess it?

kk.
18-07-2008, 08:55 PM
You will have to be careful with the second part of your idea as it would pretty much be giving them a free website like freewebs if this makes sense. Anyway, too many image hosts i think. If you can find a secure way to do it then go ahead. Dont forget to moderate the images though

Protege
18-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Either way, they still be-able to rip it as all is saved to your cache.

redtom
18-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your feedback, and yeah I was thinking about viewing it in a ajax (javascript) window, and blocking people from viewing it anyother way, although im not sure people would trust the site I would proberly have to pay a white hacker or what ever there called because if some one got access to the database storing all the images and files then they would basicly have a copy of every layout uploaded, free to do as they please.

Excellent1
20-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for your feedback, and yeah I was thinking about viewing it in a ajax (javascript) window, and blocking people from viewing it anyother way, although im not sure people would trust the site I would proberly have to pay a white hacker or what ever there called because if some one got access to the database storing all the images and files then they would basicly have a copy of every layout uploaded, free to do as they please.Or you could just host all layouts on another server and fetch them?

Protege
20-07-2008, 03:01 PM
or simplely just make it watermark each image when uploading, so each slice is watermarked say with a opac crosshatch

kreechin
21-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah watermarking them on upload would seem like a good idea, and if not on upload you could make a quick and simple PHP GD script that chucks a watermark on it when it fetches the image.

loserWILL
21-07-2008, 01:35 AM
I think this is a brilliant idea. Also I think users should have the option to upload an HTML page with a CSS stylesheet that goes with it. In the preview box it would show the actual preview of the HTML page.

Dentafrice
21-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Watermark on upload. There isn't a way, that I know of, to protect it any other way, as the original file is going to be kept somewhere.. without the watermark, and people are just going to find a way to that.

Protecting it with Javascript is impossible, you are always going to be able to see the HTML that has been produced with Javascript with the simpliest (word? haha) of tools.

So on upload best way, unless you want to store the original image as a long blob in the database.

Protege
21-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Upload it, watermark it, delete original upload, save watermarked upload.

Or allow the image to be uploaded to a dir, and have a cron to just watermark each one and save it.

http://www.kg-hosting.co.uk/watermark/test.php?img=de_dust20006.jpg <- You can watermark with invisible backgrounds, I'm not sure on opacity.

http://www.kg-hosting.co.uk/watermark/de_dust20006.jpg
http://www.kg-hosting.co.uk/watermark/logodp.png

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!